Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground
May 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
Go buy this CD now. It's a breathtakingly beautiful jazz album, the first piano trio composition that really grabbed me. Pure, 100% magic. And the sound quality is also something to die for! This is some slow, relaxed jazz, but so sweet it makes you want to cry.

May 24, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't know if he's Scandinavian, but his name suggest that. The few samples I have heard make me think of Jan Johansson, a Swedish jazz pianist who died quite early in his life (about 30 years ago). This Gustavsen sound very much like him but hasn't quite the same simplicity, minimalistic beautiful melancholic style.

Jazz på svenska by Jan Johansson is a memorable album. Swedish folksongs and traditionals in a jazz arrangement by him self. Many considre this album as one of the strongest symbols for what they see as "Swedish".

I think you might like Johansson too.

Actually, he did something similar called Jazz på ungerska ("Jazz in Hungarian").
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 8
Their first album, Changing Places, was probably my favorite album of 2003. To this day, that rich, haunting album remains one of my most played CDs. I also love The Ground, but, because I've probably played Changing Places literally hundreds of times, Changing Places is still my favorite of the two (though this may change over time).

I can think of few albums that can take the sharp edges off of a rough day as capably as these two.

Great recommendation, Feanor.

b.gif

May 24, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Jazz på svenska by Jan Johansson is a memorable album. Swedish folksongs and traditionals in a jazz arrangement by him self. Many considre this album as one of the strongest symbols for what they see as "Swedish".

Actually, he did something similar called Jazz på ungerska ("Jazz in Hungarian").
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll be sure to check Johansson (sp) out, sounds great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I can think of few albums that can take the sharp edges off of a rough day as capably as these two.

Great recommendation, Feanor.

Thank you! I'm trying to get my hands on their first album, as I am sure it is also a treat.

I have listened to piano trios before, but somehow allways considered them a bit boring. This is the first time I cannot draw myself from this type of music. Can you recommend something similar?

May 24, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
I have listened to piano trios before, but somehow allways considered them a bit boring. This is the first time I cannot draw myself from this type of music. Can you recommend something similar?

Tomasz Stanko Quartet "Suspended Night"

May 24, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor

It could be that these are some that you have already heard and found boring, but if not I can only recommend that you give them a try:

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard + Waltz for Debby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back