Tord Gustavsen Trio - The Ground
post-1394291
Post #1 of 8

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Go buy this CD now. It's a breathtakingly beautiful jazz album, the first piano trio composition that really grabbed me. Pure, 100% magic. And the sound quality is also something to die for! This is some slow, relaxed jazz, but so sweet it makes you want to cry.

post-1394330
Post #2 of 8

Glod

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I don't know if he's Scandinavian, but his name suggest that. The few samples I have heard make me think of Jan Johansson, a Swedish jazz pianist who died quite early in his life (about 30 years ago). This Gustavsen sound very much like him but hasn't quite the same simplicity, minimalistic beautiful melancholic style.

Jazz på svenska by Jan Johansson is a memorable album. Swedish folksongs and traditionals in a jazz arrangement by him self. Many considre this album as one of the strongest symbols for what they see as "Swedish".

I think you might like Johansson too.

Actually, he did something similar called Jazz på ungerska ("Jazz in Hungarian").

post-1394413
Post #3 of 8
Reaction score
Their first album, Changing Places, was probably my favorite album of 2003. To this day, that rich, haunting album remains one of my most played CDs. I also love The Ground, but, because I've probably played Changing Places literally hundreds of times, Changing Places is still my favorite of the two (though this may change over time).

I can think of few albums that can take the sharp edges off of a rough day as capably as these two.

Great recommendation, Feanor.

post-1394418
Post #4 of 8

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
Their first album, Changing Places, was probably my favorite album of 2003.

Changing Places is a wonderful CD; what we consider true northwoods cabin music.

post-1394425
Post #5 of 8

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glod
Jazz på svenska by Jan Johansson is a memorable album. Swedish folksongs and traditionals in a jazz arrangement by him self. Many considre this album as one of the strongest symbols for what they see as "Swedish".

Actually, he did something similar called Jazz på ungerska ("Jazz in Hungarian").

I'll be sure to check Johansson (sp) out, sounds great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I can think of few albums that can take the sharp edges off of a rough day as capably as these two.

Great recommendation, Feanor.

Thank you! I'm trying to get my hands on their first album, as I am sure it is also a treat.

I have listened to piano trios before, but somehow allways considered them a bit boring. This is the first time I cannot draw myself from this type of music. Can you recommend something similar?

post-1394498
Post #6 of 8

Old Pa

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor
I have listened to piano trios before, but somehow allways considered them a bit boring. This is the first time I cannot draw myself from this type of music. Can you recommend something similar?

Tomasz Stanko Quartet "Suspended Night"

post-1394529
Post #7 of 8

slt

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feanor

It could be that these are some that you have already heard and found boring, but if not I can only recommend that you give them a try:

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard + Waltz for Debby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)