Tor Audio Headphone Amps.
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #92 of 209
I've been using the Tor Balanced with my Arya. I don't listen at particularly high volumes. I managed to get it to good listening levels at around 2 o'clock. The volume increase beyond that is not much, but I'm impressed that I'm able to have a decent listening experience at all. Anyone else tried something similar?

And of course the hd600 with the Tor balanced is like warm honey.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #93 of 209
In my opinion, this does not work.
What comes out is a mix that you can't tell beforehand, that will sound good or not good.

Actually, preamp only makes sense when it goes directly through the speakers.
Not through another amp that "pretties up" the signal and then goes to speakers or headphones.

The Ayra is also not ideal for the Tor amplifier.
I would try a hybrid amp if you like a warm sweet sound.
I have an mt-604 to try the Arya on next :)

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #95 of 209
How long did it take you guys to get an update on your amp when you bought it? I bought the Balanced Amp a little over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. Is that normal?
Yes :)

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #96 of 209
Just got a Tor Roger. Been listening for a few days. I'm not a very good reference, as this is the first and only tube amp I've listened to, and don't have much experience with a wide array of headphones or amps.

My SS stack is a schiit bifrost 2 with a jotunheim 1. For cans I've got:

1. HD6xx: Definitely improves these. I've never been that impressed with these on the jotunheim. It was a little veiled, and a little boring. On the Roger, it's subtly different: a little more bass, more sound stage depth, and something is boosted in the upper mids or lower treble. Haven't put my finger on it. But put together, these subtle difference add up to finally making these cans live up to their reputation. They are now more alive and fun to listen to. I'm really enjoying them now.
2. massdrop TH-X00 purple hearts: Also better on the tubes, for the same reasons, but the delta is much smaller.
3. LCD-X 2021: These were worse on the tubes. They lose some detail or something.

I have a pair of 2020 Sundaras, and B&O H6 v1s, but I haven't played with them yet on the Roger.

Build quality seems pretty good. The woodwork is pretty primitive looking, but the volume knob feels great, and the input and output feel really solid. It was packed super well, though I was surprised they shipped it with the tubes already installed.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #97 of 209
If anyone is looking to let their Tor amp go please let me know 😜

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #98 of 209
Just got a Tor Roger. Been listening for a few days. I'm not a very good reference, as this is the first and only tube amp I've listened to, and don't have much experience with a wide array of headphones or amps.

My SS stack is a schiit bifrost 2 with a jotunheim 1. For cans I've got:

1. HD6xx: Definitely improves these. I've never been that impressed with these on the jotunheim. It was a little veiled, and a little boring. On the Roger, it's subtly different: a little more bass, more sound stage depth, and something is boosted in the upper mids or lower treble. Haven't put my finger on it. But put together, these subtle difference add up to finally making these cans live up to their reputation. They are now more alive and fun to listen to. I'm really enjoying them now.
2. massdrop TH-X00 purple hearts: Also better on the tubes, for the same reasons, but the delta is much smaller.
3. LCD-X 2021: These were worse on the tubes. They lose some detail or something.

I have a pair of 2020 Sundaras, and B&O H6 v1s, but I haven't played with them yet on the Roger.

Build quality seems pretty good. The woodwork is pretty primitive looking, but the volume knob feels great, and the input and output feel really solid. It was packed super well, though I was surprised they shipped it with the tubes already installed.
I find the Tors best with dynamic driver HPs like HD6XX and ZMFs. I’ve had mixed results with Hifiman and DCA planars. Kennerton planars tend to be very high sensitivity (100-116 db range) and seem to work better on the Tor than other planars.

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #99 of 209
So I lucked out and a fellow member did indeed let me buy his Tor Balanced... it pairs absolutely wonderfully with my ZMF VC. Compared to the ZMF Pendant I find it to be ever so slightly warmer and smoother while pacing it in terms of detail and imaging. Most and best of all... it is absolutely silent, something I could not achieve with the Pendant no matter what I tried.

3_SM.jpg1_SM.jpg2_SM.jpg

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #101 of 209
Anyone heard if the Tor Audio folks are safe given the conflict in Ukraine?

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #102 of 209
Hope so, have had them in my thoughts. Unfortunately I think Dima might be in the actual thick of it all and perhaps in battle at the moment?

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #103 of 209
Hope so, have had them in my thoughts. Unfortunately I think Dima might be in the actual thick of it all and perhaps in battle at the moment?
Same concern and thought from me. I exchanged emails with Dima several months back. Very helpful and nice.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #104 of 209
Same concern and thought from me. I exchanged emails with Dima several months back. Very helpful and nice.

I emaled Dima a few days ago to see how he was doing and he replied yesterday btw - didn't ask anything audio related of course, but certainly glad to know he's still hanging in there thankfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back