tops of the lines
Nov 25, 2002 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mekanoplastik

500+ Head-Fier
what are the top of the line of the different brands of pcdp ?

i mean..what is the best: denon, pana, philips,kenwood, aiwa, samsung, akai, toshiba, casio, thomson, onkyo, or any other brand you can think of....it does not matter it they do not qualify as "legendary" or if they are new or old, cheap or expensive..i would like to know the best model of each brand possible

i would especially like some help from people in Europe and Asia..since they have some brands and models hard to find in the US. (samsung, sanyo, grundig...ect)

let me start with:

denon : dcp 150 (old and hard to find)

m.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 25, 2002 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by mekanoplastik
what are the top of the line of the different brands of pcdp ?

i mean..what is the best: denon, pana, philips,kenwood, aiwa, samsung, akai, toshiba, casio, thomson, onkyo, or any other brand you can think of....it does not matter it they do not qualify as "legendary" or if they are new or old, cheap or expensive..i would like to know the best model of each brand possible

i would especially like some help from people in Europe and Asia..since they have some brands and models hard to find in the US. (samsung, sanyo, grundig...ect)

let me start with:

denon : dcp 150 (old and hard to find)

m.
smily_headphones1.gif

hehe~~~

my friend have a dcp-150

It is a good PCDP

en......

JVC 's PCDP model XL-P90 is one of the best PCDP too

but it very hard to find........

Nov 26, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 17
well....seems i asked for too many brands and once..
rolleyes.gif
lets see..im going to make it a little more easy....does anyone know what is the best kenwood pcdp? i've seen several kenwood models with dual dac, remote and very nice construction but non of these seems to be very popular around here so i do not know which one i should look for...same with aiwa...old aiwas are actually very cool and they have digital out !!!!

m.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 17
I'm not sure I understand the point of this topic. Some of those classics are the best models for their respective brands, and most of them have stopped making PCDPs a long time ago. And then we can't exactly chime in because we haven't all heard certain models that are supposed to be very nice.

Having said that, here's what I've read...

Recent cheap Aiwas (yep, only the cheap ones because Aiwa haven't made "expensive" models for 7, 8 years) got rave reviews on Japanese forums for sounding way better than the expensive Sonys.

I used to be a big Kenwood fan, but their products usually turns out to have very bad construction/quality look.

Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 17
Leon…

The point of this topic was to try to gather some info about other brands than just pana and sony (which by now we all know they are the “legends”..) There are tons of cheap kenwoods with dual dac and some other old pcdp that look interesting …at least to me…sorry about the confusion, and thank you for the imput about the aiwa, I will try to find info about those ….

m.

Nov 27, 2002 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 17
Nov 28, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 17
mekanoplastik,
I love your MIT+Bionetic mouse.
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 17
I have not found anything about the HP v550 but the XP v550 actually looks good : 12 seconds anti skip in non-compression mode.. 41-hour continuous playback.. Optical digital output,,, 12mW+12mW Headphone output …low-impedance condenser to reduce noise from the power supply
confused.gif
, and three analog filters between amplifier and digital-to-analog converter (DAC) to minimize digital signal processing (DSP) noise
confused.gif
(whatever that means…???) …it is not the prettiest but for the price and the specs seems pretty good… but the v550 is only Japanese market ..In the US page the XP-v733 seems to be the “same” player…with different location for the top controls and no optical out, but same 12mw and 12 seconds stuff…maybe it is the lowered “American” version(it wouldn’t be the first time a brand created a lower version for the US market)” ..…maybe we have found a good option for a budget player (v733 ~55$)
eek.gif

Purk:

Hehe...”the audiophile mouse” has gone through the final audio mod……
wink.gif

m.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 17
doesn't sugarcubes.com or something carry japanses products for the local us market? try there...

if that isnt the name--try searching for stax in the US, then it will come up

good luck!

Dec 2, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by spwal
doesn't sugarcubes.com or something carry japanses products for the local us market? try there...

good luck!

audiocubes.com

Dec 2, 2003 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by spwal

good luck!

lol sugarcubes.....

Dec 2, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Today's "tops of the lines" are jokes. Many people want faster, smaller, and cheaper. Since the top of the line is ancient in six months people naturally do not want to pay very much so that means cheap, unrepairable, construction.

Classic P(fill in your acronym)P is where the real fun is!

Dec 2, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 17
Mekanoplastik:

About the Kenwood players, i recently got a dpc-531, 1 bit dual d/a. It sounded pretty sweet, except for the skipping. I scr*w*d up the tracking/focus, whatever those little screws inside do, trying to make it skip less, *cough* so maybe i'll send it to Kenwood for repairs. To describe the sound: it's more a D-303 than a D-555. (To my ears a d-303 sound a little less upfront than a D-555, but has more 'air', less agressive.) No line out btw.

erik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back