Topping NX4
Oct 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #196 of 448
Ive been planning to buy NX4 but im a bit worried about the channel imbalance and how serious its possibly going to be... i own mainly lower impedance headphones. How many of you have experienced it and how much?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #197 of 448
There is zero channel imbalance at less than normal listening levels in a quiet room on my PSB M4U-4’s, which are lower impedance iems.

This a great dac/amp and one of the best overall portables that I have ever heard regardless of price.

I have had the Apex Glacier, Pico Dac/Amp, Portaphile 627/627X, Ifi Micro, original Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, O2 with Odac (more transportable), to name a few.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #198 of 448
I have had zero channel imbalance as well, I previously had the ifi nano, and preferred the the Topping NX4. It packs and a punch and is really portable.

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #199 of 448
NX4 and uapp

Having some odd behavior with my new NX4DSD and uapp.

Device is recognized and initialized, but I get an error upon playback: "error staring playback!" Same error for 44/16 and for higher res files. There's one weird exception -- high res Tidal files streamed through uapp play just fine, but 44/16 Tidal files do not (!)

The NX4 is working flawlessly with Neutron, so it is probably a uapp settings issue. Anyway, just fishing for a solution since I see some of you have uapp working with the NX4.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #200 of 448
experiencing Zero channel imbalanced with polaris... but it will be ok in volume above 9 o'clock...

Works charm with high impedance Headphone, even DT990Pro 250 is easy to drive with low gain, and bass boost to give more punch at volume 13 o'clock.
compare to E12A, driving High impedance HP is more detail and power on NX4DSD. with low gain only as comparison.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #202 of 448
NX4 DSD vs xDuoo Poke?
Anyone?

Dec 3, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #206 of 448
Any Huawei especially Honor 10-owners here? Im still hestaiting with NX4 because im not sure is it compatible with my phone, Honor 10 didnt recognize Dragonfly Black at all so im a bit afraid that same will happen with NX4. :triportsad:

Dec 6, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #207 of 448
I've been playing with this one for some time now. I didn't notice any important channel imbalance. It sounds great both at line-out and headphone out. My only complaint is that when power LED lights red as a worming that battery is low, you have just a few minutes left. Great little device anyway. I made a video review and also compared it to some other DACs I have too.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #208 of 448
@Aibo ... nice review ... Agree with what you you conclude.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #209 of 448
Just got the NX4 DSD in. Only used it with the CA Solaris.

Good:
  • Low floor noise. By only turning on the amp then plugging in my headphones I get very little hiss out of the NX4 DSD compared to my XMC-1, Big Ego, S9+. The hiss remained at the same level even after increasing the volume knob.
  • Tightened up bass. Additional texture was added to the low end. This was true either using the NX4 DSD's DAC or fed from my XMC-1 and Big Ego
  • No need to download drivers as it was recognized by Windows 10 (Fall Creators Update installed).
Not so good:
  • Would prefer a pitch black background with sensitive IEMs.
  • The left channel is imbalanced in low gain. Both channels balanced out when volume set around 10 o'clock
Things to note:
  • NX4 DSD DAC produced a thicker sound compared to the XMC-1 and Big Ego. You may find this a positive or negative depending on your preference.
  • By using the NX4 DSD only as an amp provided tighter bass to the XMC-1 and Big Ego without the added thickness to the sound.
  • Drivers needed for Windows 7. (Not a fault of the NX4 DSD but would be nice to have a USB Audio Class 1 mode)
  • Noticing significant effects of the bass switch was dependent on the song being played.
Unfortunately, this will be going back as I found the added thickness to the sound when using the NX4 DSD DAC to be a negative. Also would prefer to listen at a lower volume but the channel imbalance makes it impossible. Great device just not for me.

Dec 13, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #210 of 448
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-portable-headphone-amplifier.3507/page-1

A very useful forum (including 12 pages) of measurement graphs and experience of using NX4 DSD has helped me a lot in making decisions. I also posted money on the cashier for the FiiO Q5, but bluetooth is working through the FiiO X5-III and TRN BT10 bluetooth cable on FiiO FH5 and I will give you the energy needed for my AKG 702. Firmware 1.2.1 allow FiiO X5-III to navigate the USB audio to external DAC - someone like it here. I tried it through UAPP to FiiO X5 Classic and it works.

I would like to see COAX input, almost all DAPs have COAX output, USB output is not standard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back