Topping L30 - The new budget benchmark?
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #166 of 506
I'm having difficulty imagining the toggle designer thinking, "This toggle tiny switch is going to get a lot of use. We got to make it last through thousands of flips."
Topping should disclose what make of the switch is used. This would allow users to build a confidence based on the datasheet and reputation of the manufacturer.

Aug 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #167 of 506
To change the subject from toggle switch. How do you guys think it compares to other amps in that price range?

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #168 of 506
To change the subject from toggle switch. How do you guys think it compares to other amps in that price range?
I received my L30 a few days ago and did an AB comparison volume matched by ear with my JDS Labs Atom set to low gain and L30 at 0dB gain setting. My comparison was done with the DX3 Pro (1st Gen) running in DAC mode and HifiMan Sundara headphone. After a few days of comparison, I've found that the Atom is slightly more powerful with a slightly wider soundstage. The L30 seems to add a little more decay on the upper lows or lower mids area which adds a little more body to that frequency range whereas the Atom has less decay and gives a tighter response in that region with nice low frequency extension.

As for the high frequencies, it's the direct opposite with the L30 producing shorter decay whereas the Atom produces a little more decay making it sound more airy in high frequency region. The Atom also reproduce instrument separation much more clearly though it's not night and day's difference, you can definitely tell the difference especially with the Sundara headphone. Fast percussive transients are reproduced equally well on both amps and mid frequency region is on par with both amps too.

My conclusion after few days of listening is that both the L30 and Atom are very good headphone amps at super affordable price so I'm keeping both. I'll most likely use the L30 with brighter headphones and the Atom will be my preference when I want a more transparent sound. This is of course not a full review of the L30 but just my own personal experience with both the L30 and Atom....YMMV.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #169 of 506
I received my L30 a few days ago and did an AB comparison volume matched by ear with my JDS Labs Atom set to low gain and L30 at 0dB gain setting. My comparison was done with the DX3 Pro (1st Gen) running in DAC mode and HifiMan Sundara headphone. After a few days of comparison, I've found that the Atom is slightly more powerful with a slightly wider soundstage. The L30 seems to add a little more decay on the upper lows or lower mids area which adds a little more body to that frequency range whereas the Atom has less decay and gives a tighter response in that region with nice low frequency extension.

As for the high frequencies, it's the direct opposite with the L30 producing shorter decay whereas the Atom produces a little more decay making it sound more airy in high frequency region. The Atom also reproduce instrument separation much more clearly though it's not night and day's difference, you can definitely tell the difference especially with the Sundara headphone. Fast percussive transients are reproduced equally well on both amps and mid frequency region is on par with both amps too.

My conclusion after few days of listening is that both the L30 and Atom are very good headphone amps at super affordable price so I'm keeping both. I'll most likely use the L30 with brighter headphones and the Atom will be my preference when I want a more transparent sound. This is of course not a full review of the L30 but just my own personal experience with both the L30 and Atom....YMMV.
Thanks. That was very helpful. The reason I asked is bc L30 is my first SS headphone amp that seems to match THX performance from technical point of view. At least on paper. So it was more of a curiosity purchase then anything else. From your description tho, Atom’s characteristics would probably suite my taste in presentation a little better. I am also curious how good class A amp (like Roger) compares to Topping/THX amps?
I’ll keep L30 for sure but I am still looking for what would be considered a SS reference amp. Preferably with XLRs and in $500 or less range.

As a side note I only compared L30 to my crappy smsl ad18 and my IHA-1 Dragon Inspire tube amp. Obviously it kills smsl but I would never replace my IHA-1 with L30. But it does some things better on some music, sometimes. Lol

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #172 of 506
Does anyone know how it would work with 600 ohm headphones? I haven't seen any specs on this related to 600 ohms.

I use it on my T1.2 and it works fine on high gain :)

Aug 30, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #175 of 506
Is it possible to op-amp roll with the l30?

The L30 is so finely optimized to be as accurate as it is, changing the op amps could bork the sound. Doesn't seem like it would be possible to make it more accurate by experimenting with op amps.

Aug 30, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #178 of 506
I think so too. But I guess another way to ask is.... Are the op-amps soldered in or setup in a way to roll op-amps?
Please don't even attempt to do so. It is a nested loopback configuration, things that became a trend for getting good measurements since THX789 was born. Anything you do will make it worse, as you don't have a necessary equipment nor experience to do it properly. I agree with @cel4145.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #180 of 506
Another review:

Unlike what the review mentions, the L30 does not work with the P50 power supply, clearly says 15VAC, not DC. And the designer of the L30 does not recommend using anything but the PS that comes with it. Just a heads up in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back