Topping G5
Dec 29, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #151 of 351
My wife passed away in June and after a little while, for whatever reason, I felt compelled to put it to use.
I’m very sorry to hear that. The fact that you bring the DAP out to use aches my heart :triportsad:

Feb 21, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #153 of 351
Today we are looking at the Topping G5 portable and it is a new Headfonia Recommended Buy award winner!

https://www.headfonia.com/topping-g5-review/

chrome_2023-02-21_09-48-50.png

Feb 22, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #154 of 351
When battery is already full and usb chargin port is connected, does it use direct power from USB port or it's only use battery as power supply?

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #156 of 351
Endgame.

This is exactly as oOgenesisOo's review describe it : desktop-like performance in the pocket.
To me , G5 is like having a portable DX7 Pro.

You honestly don't need anything else if you own this , no DAP nor USB Dongle.
I have the G5 and will agree that it is an amazing device. If you need power to drive difficult devices, and still want portability, I think it is hard to go wrong with the G5 if you must have gobs of power and some portability, at a more than fair price for what you get.

However… always consider what is the right tool for the job at hand. If you are driving just IEMs… seriously, something like the BTR7 or a Qudelix 5K would be MUCH better choices. Plenty of power for IEMs, and for more than a few headphones. App support. And a whole lot more portable than a G5.

But if the task at hand calls for lots of power, some portability, at a reasonable price, the G5 is great.

(yes, I do own all three)

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #157 of 351
I have the G5, love it. Has enough power for my DCA Stealths. Also no issues with my U12t's. Would highly recommend.

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #158 of 351
I have the G5 and will agree that it is an amazing device. If you need power to drive difficult devices, and still want portability, I think it is hard to go wrong with the G5 if you must have gobs of power and some portability, at a more than fair price for what you get.

However… always consider what is the right tool for the job at hand. If you are driving just IEMs… seriously, something like the BTR7 or a Qudelix 5K would be MUCH better choices. Plenty of power for IEMs, and for more than a few headphones. App support. And a whole lot more portable than a G5.

But if the task at hand calls for lots of power, some portability, at a reasonable price, the G5 is great.

(yes, I do own all three)
Even when talking about IEMs, I hear a noticeable improvement in detail and soundstage using the G5 with my FH7 compared to the BTR7.

The Qudelix wins with regard to portability but the sound isn't even close. The BTR7 is more portable than the G5 but it's chunky with sharp edges, not fun to carry. I had both and returned the BTR7 without a second thought after comparing it to the G5.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #159 of 351
Even when talking about IEMs, I hear a noticeable improvement in detail and soundstage using the G5 with my FH7 compared to the BTR7.

The Qudelix wins with regard to portability but the sound isn't even close. The BTR7 is more portable than the G5 but it's chunky with sharp edges, not fun to carry. I had both and returned the BTR7 without a second thought after comparing it to the G5.
No worries, I respect your opinion!

For me the Qudelix ergonomics (buttons) suck, so I never reach for it now that I have the BTR7. As to the sharp edges, the BTR7 has a case, so I never interact with those edges. As to the G5, it is there when I feel like using it, but I almost always reach for the BTR7 over the G5 - mostly for the portability factor.

Does one or the other sound better to me? After I am listening for a few minutes I really can’t tell and thus don’t even think about it.

To each their own, of course!

Feb 28, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #160 of 351
I have been testing the G5 and I am blown away from the sound of a $299 device. What a joke in the audiophile world. lol. I keep comparing it to other device and each time the G5 wins hands-down in sound quality and I move on to a higher end DAP. It takes the formidable somehow flagship Shangling M7 to stop it right there. That is really impressive for a $299 device fighting its way above $1000 mark DAP.

Feb 28, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #161 of 351
The Bluetooth connection is about the best I have heard, beating the IFI Gryphone on BT SQ. The IFI is simply no match for the G5 Bluetooth connection, and I have regard the Gryphon as the king of Bluetooth portable until today. One thing that I specifically look out for when testing is the soundstage. Most Bluetooth device soundstages just collapse - that is the same with Gryphon, but G5 is the only exception. No collapse in the soundstage as compared to hardwire. IN fact, the Bluetooth connection is so good that I can hardly tell them apart from using several headphones. The BT will get me 90% compare to the hard wire.

I then use my Samsung S22 as transport, and wow, it feels like a flagship DAP. I can even say it's comparable to the M7 (which itself is one of the best out there in price performance-wise) Interestingly the M7 sounded warmer (as its know to be analytical) if I compare them side by side. - Its similar to the Fiio THX clean sound.

This G5 performs so well at $299. I still hardly believe it.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #163 of 351
The Bluetooth connection is about the best I have heard, beating the IFI Gryphone on BT SQ. The IFI is simply no match for the G5 Bluetooth connection, and I have regard the Gryphon as the king of Bluetooth portable until today. One thing that I specifically look out for when testing is the soundstage. Most Bluetooth device soundstages just collapse - that is the same with Gryphon, but G5 is the only exception. No collapse in the soundstage as compared to hardwire. IN fact, the Bluetooth connection is so good that I can hardly tell them apart from using several headphones. The BT will get me 90% compare to the hard wire.

I then use my Samsung S22 as transport, and wow, it feels like a flagship DAP. I can even say it's comparable to the M7 (which itself is one of the best out there in price performance-wise) Interestingly the M7 sounded warmer (as its know to be analytical) if I compare them side by side. - Its similar to the Fiio THX clean sound.

This G5 performs so well at $299. I still hardly believe it.

Is there any specific setup/settings i should select to get the most out of the Bluetooth connection? I'm just using UAPP and streaming directly to G5 (it shows up as Android instead of USB DAC below the play button). Never used Bluetooth dac/amp so idk if I'm doing it right 😄

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #164 of 351
Is there any specific setup/settings i should select to get the most out of the Bluetooth connection? I'm just using UAPP and streaming directly to G5 (it shows up as Android instead of USB DAC below the play button). Never used Bluetooth dac/amp so idk if I'm doing it right 😄

Get the most by setting it to LDAC format -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back