Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier
Apr 3, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #391 of 468
Very interested to streamline my desktop separate DAC and amp setup to just the DX7 Pro.

Quite rare to see 2.5mm output in a high end desktop dac/amp which is great for my IEM and $600 is pretty reasonable considering the spec and features.

@maxxevv Did you tried testing it with a sensitive iem and is there any hiss to be heard? Is the DX7 Pro capable of MQA decoding and rendering?

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #392 of 468
Very interested to streamline my desktop separate DAC and amp setup to just the DX7 Pro.

Quite rare to see 2.5mm output in a high end desktop dac/amp which is great for my IEM and $600 is pretty reasonable considering the spec and features.

@maxxevv Did you tried testing it with a sensitive iem and is there any hiss to be heard? Is the DX7 Pro capable of MQA decoding and rendering?

Nope. I didn't but Topping does have experience and have demonstrated their expertise with portable, sensitive head gear in their portable amps from the NX series. So I have little reason to think they will botch that portion of things.

Do note that the US$600 price range for the DX7 Pro is just an estimated figure based on the DX7S pricing, its stil some 3 months out from release, so whether they stick close to that is still to be seen.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #394 of 468
I just ordered the Topping DX7s from Massdrop, want to compare it's balanced output audio quality to the unbalanced output on my Audio-GD NFB-11.28.

Apr 23, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #396 of 468
Anyone pairing this with the Sennheiser HDV 820? I know it's a cheap DAC but I was wondering if cheap is just "cheap" and more likely a SMART buy as the product just delivers for the price. If you were to get a separate Amp (Smart buy) to pair with the Topping DX7s which one would it be?

Apr 23, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #397 of 468
Anyone pairing this with the Sennheiser HDV 820? I know it's a cheap DAC but I was wondering if cheap is just "cheap" and more likely a SMART buy as the product just delivers for the price. If you were to get a separate Amp (Smart buy) to pair with the Topping DX7s which one would it be?

JDS Atom or Massdrop THX 789.

There really isn't anything at that price bracket that competes in terms of output measurements.

May 3, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #398 of 468
Anyone use a USB Silencer like the iFi with the Topping DX7s?? if so what are your thoughts.....snakeoil or real??
https://ifi-audio.com/products/isilencer3-0/

Also, anyone try using a Linear power supply like the iFi iPower ??? I have my Topping connected via USB to an Android TV box. It was recommended that I buy one in order to address Jitter. Does the Topping circuitry address jitter internally??
https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #399 of 468
Auto on and off...
I have my DX7S working such that it turns On automatically when the attached USB source is turned on,but it won't turn Off when the USB source is turned off.
Any suggestions on getting the auto off to work??

Jun 24, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #400 of 468
Topping lists the DX7s 6.35mm (1/4") headphone jack as having an output impedance of under 10-Ohms, any know a more exact reading of the output impedance?

Jun 24, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #401 of 468
Topping lists the DX7s 6.35mm (1/4") headphone jack as having an output impedance of under 10-Ohms, any know a more exact reading of the output impedance?
Don’t have anything more exact other than the discussion on ASR is that the output impedance is 10ohms...

Edit: looks like 10 ohms SE, 20 ohms balanced... yikes. I have the DX7S, but only use it as a DAC to drive my 789, so I really don’t have experience with the sonic qualities out of the DX7S headphone jacks...

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #402 of 468
The onboard DX7s amp isn't that bad. It works great in a pinch and sounds fine - though the 789 sound is much preferred in my opinion.

Jun 24, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #403 of 468
So far I've only really used the balanced headphone jacks, on the DX7s to drive my HD58X headphones :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #404 of 468
Auto on and off...
I have my DX7S working such that it turns On automatically when the attached USB source is turned on,but it won't turn Off when the USB source is turned off.
Any suggestions on getting the auto off to work??
What's your USB source? I found that with mine (an old macbook) the DX7S immediately shows "--- kHz" input when I close it but only actually turns off after a few minutes after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back