Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #196 of 468
Here I am, posting for once. My Xduoo-XD05 which I ordered four months ago just arrived yesterday to get stuck at customs. Joy. It STILL isn't here. In other news, my buddy's friend who frequents China said he'd get me the DX7. I was like woohoo! Bad news, I had to pay an extra 60 bucks, coming to 460 USD. Sigh. FINE! TAKE MY MONEY! The guy got back to his hotel and sent a snap of the thing out of its box.

IT'S A DX7S!!!! Oh yeah babeh! The guy's leaving China today and flying in around Tuesday/Wednesday. It'll drive my HE-400i via balanced and ATH-A900x via SE. Will share thoughts as soon as it's in. Might also get around to writing a review on the ART HeadAmp Pro 6, and possibly the XD-05 once it arrives so you can relate better.

Cheers!

Hey @blitz9826,

I am just curious, is it actually any cheaper to buy direct in China? I ask because I have a cousin that works in Shanghai, but he comes back to Canada once in a while. If it is cheaper to do this way, I might ask him to pick up for me...

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #198 of 468
I think the costing is same as retail compared to worldwide. In fact, the Massdrop price is cheaper. Sad, I know, but at least the availability is less of a problem in China. Plus getting a buddy to bring it back is always more reliable than mail, at least for me living in Pakistan anyway.

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #205 of 468
Ok guys, I got the DX7s! I let it break in over the weekend while I was out to Dubai (paired to my HE-400i via 4-pin XLR). Had various types of files ranging from 320 MP3s to 24/96 FLAC to DSD256. It did it all!

Good news: the remote is still there! I'll share my opinions over the coming weekend with you guys. But my perception so far? Wow! The HE-400i's bass is smoother and slightly more pronounced. Balanced is definitely more powerful and clearer vs single ended, but the difference in terms of audio quality isn't particularly superior vs single ended. Maybe the balanced implementation isn't that fantastic? I don't think I want to do a teardown until the DX7 teardown is made available. Sadly I've not owned the DX7 before, or any other balanced setup. My XD-05 STILL hasn't come in ***. Anyways, more on the weekend!

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #206 of 468
sure u have the new one ?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topping-dx7s
people on massdrop are also confused. i´ve send a mail to topping.

Slater9128Follow
4H
mcknig.k
Hey there, I can answer that. No remote for the DX7s, it was removed by Topping.

https://www.soundphilereview.com/news/topping-nx4dsd-dx7s-coming-soon-updated-ess-sabre-chips-1562/

dx7s-en-13.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #207 of 468
Positive, it says DX7s, it says PCM 768 on the front and DSD 512, it's the new thing buddy. Damn sure. Either I got lucky and they packed a DX7 remote (lucky! compatible yo!) or they ****ed up on their website and forgot to mention the remote. In either case, I have the remote. I'll take same pics of it in a few hours, out of the office atm (I'm a network admin so I had my laptop connected to it in the server room over the long weekend :p)

Feb 7, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #209 of 468
My pleasure and thank you very much for the kind words.

Awesome awesome work on your site. Love the review and measurements.

Any plans for a Teac UD-301 review/teardown? I didn't see one on your site. I'd love some comparisons between that and the new DX7s. On the fence as to which one is better. I'm thinking the Topping though.

Feb 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #210 of 468
Right-o! Some basic snaps for you guys. I went back and double checked, and it's definitely the DX7s. It has the same I/O as the DX7, but the internals are definitely compatible with higher grade sound files. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of my DSD256 files with me, they're on a NAS at work. All I had was Kitaro in DSD64.

open

open

open

Users who are viewing this thread

Back