Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by faber65, Mar 16, 2017.
  1. Jimster480
    What do you mean by a wobble?
    Are you sure the tracks just aren't mastered well?
    The DX7 has incredible resolving capabilities and will reveal even the smallest detail.

2. treecloud
    Helpful response, thanks. I'm considering the Magni 3 for two reason, increased headroom (other things equal usually a good thing), and I want a Loki and need separate DAC and amp to have somewhere to put it :ksc75smile:

I'm an audio cheapskate, I get a thrill out of bang for buck systems that sound ridiculous.

The HE400S with that big planar driver seems to handle goodly low end boost without compression. And it's pretty sensitive, so not sure how close the o2 is to limits, but in this context sounds good to me. In fact, I'm a little bit smitten at the moment by how bleeping good the HE400S sounds with adequate clean power and clean EQ. Haven't heard this myself yet, but guessing good dac + Loki + Magni3 + HE400S (or 400i depending on which is cheaper) is one of the better bang for buck going.

I'm still undecided which DAC I'm leaning to. Have a Bifrost I like, but that's doing duty in my speaker based system.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. Jimster480
    For me I tried the Magni 3 but it has so much power it makes it hard to drive sensitive headphones like the Aeon or PM-2.
    You get basically no POT travel distance.
    With my o2 I am currently listening at half volume to my Aeon's on a quiet track, but its at 1x Gain (I have a custom o2).
    It would output more power on a higher gain, but that is already too much.

4. treecloud
    Yep, as you say, it's more a matter of gain than output capability that makes many amplification devices a PITA to use. I've modified the gain on my o2 also, if I recall (don't know that I actually do recall:), it's 1x on the low setting and 3x on the high one. I never use the high one.

And there's nothing wrong with my o2 for driving the HE400S either! Except that I can't get a Loki in the mix with an integrated dac/amp.

Thanks for that info on the Magni 3.

Jimster480 likes this.
  5. Jimster480
    Yep, I tried my o2 with a bunch of headphones at a HeadFi meet and it drove most of them without any issues.
    Headphones these days are mostly just very efficient.

6. trellus
  7. crabdog
    trellus and Jimster480 like this.
  8. 565hunter
    I'd love to hear more about the DX7 < Jotunheim pairing and what other dacs you might have used as well.

9. Jimster480
    I just think that the DX7 is better due to its dual mono DAC, XMOS input, Coax output, AES / SPDIF input and it has the ability to output to speakers also which could be controlled with the remote.
    Also ES9018K2M > AKM4990 IMHO
    In order to get the Jot with a DAC it costs $100 more, but still doesn't have the other features.

I've tried the Fulla 2, Modi Multibit, SMSL M8, SMSL M8A, Topping D30, FiiO K1, ASUS Xonar DG.

10. Protek67
    Ok so I finally found a specific track to test and compare. Turn's out it is due to poor source audio. I tested my magni/modi stack and it still happens, the only differences being how the dx7 and schiit stack handle poorly encoded audio.

And what I meant by L/R wobble was exactly what it sounds like, during an audio track the sound would reverberate between the left and right channels with opposing sides being louder, it would do this semi rhythmically.

11. Jimster480
    Lol you sound like me when I got my DX7. I thought it was horrible due to the many poorly mastered tracks that I used to listen to without knowing.
    The DX7 just blew them apart with its revealing capabilities.

12. UNOE
    How is SMSL M8 vs DX7? I'm using SMSL M8/Magni 3 stack now. But I do have monitors I need to drive.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  13. Jimster480
    The M8 isn't as revealing as the DX7.
    When I first got the DX7 I thought it was bad because I was hearing "scratching" in a few tracks I frequently listened to.
    It turned out to be bad mastering of those tracks.

14. Arniesb
    Cant wait to get my hands on this dac.
    Next week it should move from customs to my house. I hope it would be good pairing with Violectric V280 and Sennheiser HD800S. Right now i feel that i need more revealing, more neutral, more crisp dac and synergy with my components should be good i think. Will buy balanced Interconnects latter.

Jimster480 likes this.
  15. Jimster480
    You should enjoy it!