1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by faber65, Mar 16, 2017.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next

Last
  1. Jimster480
    I just unboxed my DX7, on paper it looks worse than the D30 for real.
    But in SQ its much better, it has a insanely wide sound stage and very good instrument separation.

I'm going to test the M8 again and see.

Okay so across about 5-6 songs I can't tell the difference between the DX7 and the M8.
    I plugged the D30 back in and it also sounds about the same, there are certain songs though that the vocals are a bit recessed. I'm not sure why this is and I wonder if it has to do with heat since I have things stacked on top of the D30.

I have the DX7 unplugged at the moment. I will go back to it in a little while, but with a 100ohm output impedance it really doesn't play well with the Amps.
    On the A30 or the O2 you have to put the volume up a considerable amount in order to get a good sound. For the A30 I have to have the volume at 75%+ on the Quad drivers (on 0db gain).

Testing the internal Amp vs the A30 and the O2, I think that it sounds slightly worse.
    But this is likely due to the crosstalk and/or the 10ohm forced output impedance, although I still don't think I Could pick it out in a blind test and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

EDIT3 (Removal):
    The one downside here is that other than the inclusion of a remote + XLR connectivity I don't see the point in having a DX7 at all.

The build quality is certainly top notch and the box is heavy as hell. At the $285 price it is definitely worth it as it matches the SMSL M8 + comes with an Amp and alot of fancy features.
    I would say that its more worth $300-325 and at $400+ it will be a hard sell for most.

If they could get it down to the $250 price range then it would completely wipe out the M8/M8A market. Even at a price of $325 it would be highly competitive to have the additional features vs an O2 stack, the D30/A30 stack and the SMSL M8 + VA2 or some other Amp.

EDIT2:
    Can someone else with a DX7 check this:

I get a ton of scratchiness down low especially in the right channel. Tried my Amps, and the built in Amp. Literally nothing I do will make this sound ok. I tried the same output on my HTC 10 and my speakers (both different DAC's obviously) and I don't have the problem.

EDIT3 (continued):

After Listening to this for a day with the same playlist I listened to the D30 with yesterday, and the M8 with the day before.... I can say that it easy beats both of them.
    Now don't expect any wild "Night and day" differences, but the reality is that there are micro-details which this unit reveals which I never knew existed even with the M8.
    Playing a jazz playlist (my daily mix of jazz) there are a few live songs in this list and the above song.
    In these live songs I literally heard people coughing or sneezing in the background, even what sounded like a guy putting his glass down on a table. I actually had to rewind the track because it threw me out of concentration when I heard this.
    (This is the song)
    The above track has some underlying scratchiness, but its not a "bug" now after listening to the rest of the playlist these are micro-details which other DAC's did not reveal.
    This is both a good and a bad thing as a poor recording is exemplified by even things like slight noises in the EDIT2 track.

Now I have listened to this with the internal Amp and the Topping A30 and JDS Labs O2.
    I have to say that all 3 sound very much the same, I even used a UE Buffer jack on my headphones when testing with the A30 and with the DX7 a few times just to see if there would be output changes.
    It doesn't do anything but to lower volume (it does this with increased resistance).

I actually feel lucky for getting this for $285 because honestly the details are really great, and while on paper the specs really don't seem to be better than the D30 and don't match the M8 it is actually more revealing than either one.

EDIT 4:
    Just for testing purposes I have been testing with my 1More Quad drivers & Panasonic RP-HD10's.
    I packed up the Beyerdynamics to send them back because they aren't to my taste and the 16Ohm versions of the DT770s really are nothing like real DT770s.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    trellus likes this.
  2. LajostheHun
    DOP according to the Spec sheet .

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/dx7/index.htm

tosvus likes this.
  3. giedrys
    No native DSD? D30 does it for 1/4 of the price?

4. Jimster480
    I dont think the D30 does direct DSD.
    Secondly DirectDSD has no benefits over PCM. And DSD music is also basically non-existent and has no benefit over PCM music of equivalent quality.

5. Elzizo
    I can agree that this is such a small impact since DSD is almost non-existent for me (1 classical album), and the Topping DX7 has such great functionality, that it was not a deal breaker for me. This is honestly an excellent piece of equipment for how cheap it is. My expectations are totally blown away.

6. tosvus
    DSD is not a dealbreaker for me either, but from everything else I can see it *should* support it. The introduction to the manual says "DX7 is compatible with 384K/32Bit and DSD128.". I'm not sure why specify DSD128 if it was not directly supported. Players can probably convert any version to PCM that works, right??

Also, the Amazon listing pretty specifically states: "DX7 supports USB, OPT, AES, COAX four inputs, including USB decoding up to support PCM 384KHz / 32Bit, DSD128 (Native and Dop)."

That said the spec sheet linked above from LajostheHun contradicts these statements. (Still, even there it specifies DSD64/128 - why do that, wouldn't DOP support any DSD as long as the software player can convert it??)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Kuh-Fi likes this.
  7. Jimster480

You are right. Then it must support Direct DSD.

Regardless though this DAC has such incredible resolution. It really shows that there are more "specs" which are not measured beyond things like THD, SNR, IMD, Crosstalk and DNR...

Because on paper the D30 has better specs in basically all of these categories, yet the DX7 resolves music much better.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    tosvus likes this.
  8. LajostheHun
    tosvus likes this.
  9. Jimster480
  10. crabdog
    It seems more like a marketing tool more than anything at this point. Hardly anyone actually uses it but all new DAPs and DACs are expected to support it.

11. Jimster480
    It is purely a marketing tool. Everything coming out is talking about the amazing DSD support but the reality is that no music is in DSD (for the most part) and no streaming services offer DSD at all.
    Hell its hard to find any music period that is even 24/96 let alone any of the other wild formats supported!

And no older music will ever be anything beyond 16/44.1 anyway unless its just up-sampled which does nothing for quality.

12. LajostheHun
    I agree about a marketing tool, and I would put MQA into that corner as well.

13. Jimster480
    MQA? What do you mean?

14. LajostheHun
    you never heard of MQA?

15. Jimster480
    I just read about it now. It's just basically another format that sits in other containers like FLAC.
    I'm not sure what is so special about it....
    Most of it does sound like marketing tbh and only Tidal offers it so...

First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next

Last