1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Topping DX7 - DAC and balanced headphone amplifier

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by faber65, Mar 16, 2017.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. btkli
    Hey @blitz9826,

I am just curious, is it actually any cheaper to buy direct in China? I ask because I have a cousin that works in Shanghai, but he comes back to Canada once in a while. If it is cheaper to do this way, I might ask him to pick up for me...

2. Ted Presley
  3. blitz9826
    I think the costing is same as retail compared to worldwide. In fact, the Massdrop price is cheaper. Sad, I know, but at least the availability is less of a problem in China. Plus getting a buddy to bring it back is always more reliable than mail, at least for me living in Pakistan anyway.

btkli likes this.
  4. Reinhold
    @amirm

big thanks for your great review :thumbsup:

amirm likes this.
  5. amirm
    My pleasure and thank you very much for the kind words.

Reinhold likes this.
  6. btkli
    Just curious to see if anyone here had ordered the dx7s? I am dying to read a review

7. crabdog
    I would love to hear the dx7s but I don't think it would warrant another full review as the changes are likely to be fairly minor.

8. Reinhold
    the new DX7s has no remote anymore, that´s sad :frowning2:

9. crabdog
    Wow really? The remote is sooo good on this unit.

10. blitz9826
    Ok guys, I got the DX7s! I let it break in over the weekend while I was out to Dubai (paired to my HE-400i via 4-pin XLR). Had various types of files ranging from 320 MP3s to 24/96 FLAC to DSD256. It did it all!

Good news: the remote is still there! I'll share my opinions over the coming weekend with you guys. But my perception so far? Wow! The HE-400i's bass is smoother and slightly more pronounced. Balanced is definitely more powerful and clearer vs single ended, but the difference in terms of audio quality isn't particularly superior vs single ended. Maybe the balanced implementation isn't that fantastic? I don't think I want to do a teardown until the DX7 teardown is made available. Sadly I've not owned the DX7 before, or any other balanced setup. My XD-05 STILL hasn't come in ffs. Anyways, more on the weekend!

btkli and crabdog like this.
  11. Reinhold
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  12. blitz9826
    Positive, it says DX7s, it says PCM 768 on the front and DSD 512, it's the new thing buddy. Damn sure. Either I got lucky and they packed a DX7 remote (lucky! compatible yo!) or they ****ed up on their website and forgot to mention the remote. In either case, I have the remote. I'll take same pics of it in a few hours, out of the office atm (I'm a network admin so I had my laptop connected to it in the server room over the long weekend :p)

Reinhold likes this.
  13. Reinhold
    great news :ok_hand:

14. DaemonSire
    Awesome awesome work on your site. Love the review and measurements.

Any plans for a Teac UD-301 review/teardown? I didn't see one on your site. I'd love some comparisons between that and the new DX7s. On the fence as to which one is better. I'm thinking the Topping though.

amirm likes this.
  15. blitz9826
    Right-o! Some basic snaps for you guys. I went back and double checked, and it's definitely the DX7s. It has the same I/O as the DX7, but the internals are definitely compatible with higher grade sound files. Unfortunately I didn't keep any of my DSD256 files with me, they're on a NAS at work. All I had was Kitaro in DSD64.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last