TOPPING DX3 Pro
Jan 31, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #106 of 160
Thank you very much for your review Taz777.

I have two pairs of headphones: an AKG K701 bought 15 years ago and a brand new Magnet LZR 980, both very nice and complementary.

As for a dedicated headphone amp, I heard about the JDS Lab Atom Amp. Do you know it?

For my speakers, I have a Topping D10 DAC plugged in my solid-state amp.
Do you think it would be a better move to get the JDS and feed it with my Topping D10, or to replace both by a DX3 Pro? (and I could still cross the JDS Lab via its RCA output to reach my amp for speakers listening)

Cheers
I have the D10 and the DX3 Pro. The JDS Atom is known to have excellent measured performance, but the DX3 Pro isn't too far behind for most people.
I think it comes down mostly to features. The D10 is basically a DAC/USB bridge, and the DX3 Pro is a DAC/amp with a remote and several digital input options (USB, 2 S/PDIF, optical, Bluetooth), and no digital outputs. If you don't need the extra features of the DX3 Pro, you could get the JDS Atom for ~$100 less, and not have to disposition the D10.

Personally, I've found that I like the remote and Bluetooth options of the DX3 Pro, so that's what I'm using. But now I have to do something with the D10 while it still retains some value.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #107 of 160
I have two pairs of headphones: an AKG K701 bought 15 years ago and a brand new Magnet LZR 980, both very nice and complementary.

As for a dedicated headphone amp, I heard about the JDS Lab Atom Amp. Do you know it?

For my speakers, I have a Topping D10 DAC plugged in my solid-state amp.
Do you think it would be a better move to get the JDS and feed it with my Topping D10, or to replace both by a DX3 Pro? (and I could still cross the JDS Lab via its RCA output to reach my amp for speakers listening)

I do not know about the JDS Lab Atom Amp.

For my headphones system I'm using a Topping D50 DAC feeding an Arcam rHead headphone amplifier. That combo sounds very beautiful to my ears.

For my desktop speaker system, I'm using the DX3 Pro feeding Ruark MR1 MK2 active speakers + BK Electronics XLS200-FF subwoofer. I found the DX3 Pro sounded better in my speaker-based system than in my headphones system.

I'm a big fan of having separates for as much as possible as you can slowly upgrade individual components, so I would favour feeding a headphone amp with a DAC. You can then also play with cables to find the sound that you like. However, everyone's tastes are different and you may find that the DX3 Pro sounds great as a DAC, headphone amp and line out to an external amp.

Feb 1, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #108 of 160
DX3 Pro is an amazing device after you do a few mods if you can!

I've done a few "simple" mods and the device got a serious league upgrade. It outperforms my highly tuned LKS ES9018 easily. The ES9018 uses only high-end components and CCS on I/V stage. The AK4493 has better detail, better imaging, better instrument seperation better vocals.. just more holographic. One thing it's lacking is bass. But i'm on the road figuring it out. Probably need to upgrade the PSU a bit here and there.

Most important mods were:

Sparkos SS3602 opamp. Which improved everything a lot! but I am guessing this is because class A bias. Biasing another opamp should do the trick too.
WeChat Image_201901310025138.jpg

Replaced 33uf DAC chip output caps with 100uf KEMET KO-CAP poly caps
I put the 33uf cap coming from DAC output in the 10uf position on opamp voltage rail but I'll replace it later. remove ceramic AND tantalum and put a electrolyte nichicon KZ.

WeChat Image_20190131022836.jpg

WeChat Image_20190131022850.jpg

Then after deminishing returns but still improvement on clarity and imaging.

Replaced the caps around the DAC with KEMET KO-CAP polys
WeChat Image_201902010311021.jpg

To do is PSU caps. and headphone amp.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #111 of 160
It's not a software problem but physical problem with bad soldering on the opamps. So if you suspect to have this problem the unit need to be returned. I guess you can fix it yourself if you know how to solder and to identify the components.

Apr 25, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #112 of 160
It's not a software problem but physical problem with bad soldering on the opamps. So if you suspect to have this problem the unit need to be returned. I guess you can fix it yourself if you know how to solder and to identify the components.

pass, It's is their job to do the QC stuff not the consumer, it seems like its the trend with these chinese companies to use the public as their test bed instead of spending money for their actual RnD, what a load of crap from them.

Jun 5, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #114 of 160
Jun 19, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #118 of 160
Hello everybody.

Could anyone having the DX3 let me know if I can switch on/off the unit with my UPS?
I currently have a UPS connected to my computer which controls a number of secondary mains sockets. When my computer is powered on, the UPS subsequently wakes up a number of specific devices like the USB Dac and my B&W powered speakers.

My question is, will the DX3 wake up when the PC is powering on or do you have to switch it on/off solely using the remoter controller?

Many thanks!

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #119 of 160
Hello everybody.

Could anyone having the DX3 let me know if I can switch on/off the unit with my UPS?
I currently have a UPS connected to my computer which controls a number of secondary mains sockets. When my computer is powered on, the UPS subsequently wakes up a number of specific devices like the USB Dac and my B&W powered speakers.

My question is, will the DX3 wake up when the PC is powering on or do you have to switch it on/off solely using the remoter controller?

Many thanks!
Yes, when on USB, it automatically wakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back