Topping D90
May 30, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #286 of 1,101
Thanks. I don't have a ton of experience with DACs but I'm quite aware the ECD-1 is up there.

Only reason I want another DAC is to downsize (and not lose any SQ). The ECD-1 takes up space on the table (too wide to fit on the shelves) and prevents me from upgrading my monitor (speakers have no more space to spread if I upgrade to a wider screen). Funny reason but there you have it.
It helps to stage the presentation in space - give the screen about 7'-10' space behind the speakers on either side, lower the Center speakers below the screen floor to avoid visual cluttering of the bottom center of the screen.

I prefer that to placing the speakers behind the screen - which does work, but I like seeing the speakers in the dark periphery of the visual stage.

Also, place all the speaker amp electronics close to the speakers as possible, and place the source stack for audio and video off to the side about 20' from the screen and run high quality cabling to the projector - about halfway between the source stack and the screen - through the walls, ceiling, and floor.

Subs all around - next to the main speakers, and double up behind seating about 5'. Optional put sub's in the distance behind the screen.

Open up your placement of components, display / projection across rooms of 3d space... it really opens up the sound stage.

Sometimes focusing in too closely on a specific space obscures the opportunities to expand your environment.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #287 of 1,101
Thanks. I don't have a ton of experience with DACs but I'm quite aware the ECD-1 is up there.

Only reason I want another DAC is to downsize (and not lose any SQ). The ECD-1 takes up space on the table (too wide to fit on the shelves) and prevents me from upgrading my monitor (speakers have no more space to spread if I upgrade to a wider screen). Funny reason but there you have it.
Upgrade the table

May 30, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #291 of 1,101
Lol thanks. That put a big smile on my face. :)

So I take it you don't think the D90 is worth trying out (it's relatively expensive for a Topping product).
It's a chance I'm willing to take, my D90 / A90 shipped 2 days ago now...as far as comparing to a legacy DAC you love and appreciate - you'd need to audition it yourself - allowing for burn-in time to pass - perhaps a good idea to not listen to the D90 right out of the box?

Whether the D90 is in the end "better", at least it will be new and different, and that's most of the fun. You can always change up again and try something else until you find what you are looking for in the long run.

A big change can start with a small DAC upgrade. You have to start somewhere. :)

May 30, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #292 of 1,101
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 user here.

Looking to replace the ECD-1 with something smaller (and at least as good-sounding, if not, better).
Currently using the DAC with my PC (SPDIF via M2Tech hiFace Two), connected to speaker system (Topping PA3 -> Epos M5) and headphone setup (Graham Slee Solo UL -> various headphones).
I stumbled on the D90 and it seems perfect for this purpose. BT connectivity is useful too. Coming from the Electrocompaniet, I don't know if the D90 is going to be a downgrade though. Anyone can chime in?

Thanks.
night and day difference- while the Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC is soft warm and mellow and does upsampling- the Topping does not as far as I know upsample- it is the last word on detail retrieval and no masking of any kind. I would not sell the Electro but try both. For the money the Topping is the best dac I have ever heard period under $3K. Its the blackest backgrounds, the detail is crazy even the slightest change in anything in system is revealed (ie cables to include AC Cable/usb/interconnects) - truly a precision piece of gear. You can never retrieve details after the DAC - but you can warm it up after -

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #293 of 1,101
I'm on day 2 with it and finding it pretty bright, at least when paired with the A90. It sure does a good job of pulling out all the details though. I've just placed a filter in my Aeons to tame the brightness a bit and it seems to be helping. I tried the HD6XX and they are also sounding the brightest I've ever heard them sound, so have to agree with you because that's a hard feat.
Day three gets a bit better- keep breaking in those chips and circuits- I am now looking for mellow AC cords by Signal Cable Magic Power Digital and their Video and Regular power cords- will let people know the results w/D90. I also have a Kimber USB cable coming. Again will update. I was using a monster cable usb and it sucked with D90- switched to cable that came with D90 and it was better. This DAC reveals ALL the flaws in a system. Its a precision tool. I am also using APO EQ application for different end devices- Eg: Etymotic ER4p/s has its own EQ settings, HD600 has its own EQ I like w/D90 and the speakers I use on my desk top. The APO saved the day for sure. I may even need to get a Quicksilver tube headphone amp and test it. or maybe a Crackatwoa... yes the DAC is truly a scalpel.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #294 of 1,101
The D90 is a very revealing DAC - maybe too much so... we will see what others have to say

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #295 of 1,101
Yep, they're both bit perfect when setup correctly. And yes, native DSD requires ASIO. It's not supported over WASAPI. WASAPI also limits you to DSD256. There are some advantages to ASIO for sure.
Right!It is surprising that someone uses WASAPI and this is despite the fact that ASIO gives more choice and cleaner sound.Strange people!

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #296 of 1,101
Day three gets a bit better- keep breaking in those chips and circuits- I am now looking for mellow AC cords by Signal Cable Magic Power Digital and their Video and Regular power cords- will let people know the results w/D90. I also have a Kimber USB cable coming. Again will update. I was using a monster cable usb and it sucked with D90- switched to cable that came with D90 and it was better. This DAC reveals ALL the flaws in a system. Its a precision tool. I am also using APO EQ application for different end devices- Eg: Etymotic ER4p/s has its own EQ settings, HD600 has its own EQ I like w/D90 and the speakers I use on my desk top. The APO saved the day for sure. I may even need to get a Quicksilver tube headphone amp and test it. or maybe a Crackatwoa... yes the DAC is truly a scalpel.

What exactly are you burning/breaking in on a DAC???? If anything, components degrade over time. I understand to an extent the urge to burn-in something like speakers or dynamic drivers, but a DAC???? Plus, your ears can't even tell subtle differences in sound an hour apart from each other, let alone after 72 hours burn-in??? Wow you must have a killer auditory memory. :triportsad: Understand personal experience counts the most, but might want to add "YMMV." :) Wish this hobby wasn't so ill-informed.

May 30, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #297 of 1,101
Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC... does upsampling- the Topping does not as far as I know upsample- it is the last word on detail retrieval and no masking of any kind.
I admit I have been out of this game for too long I can't actually tell if upsampling is good or bad. Also, are you saying the ECD-1 has detail or is lacking?

May 30, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #298 of 1,101
Gotta say, the D90/A90 combination is making my HD6XX headphones sound clearer, airier, and open than anything I've heard before. But, it's making my Aeon 2 Opens hard to listen to due to the brightness. I definitely like a warmer sound and these are both headphones on the warmer side of neutral, but not with this DAC/AMP combination.

May 30, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #299 of 1,101
What exactly are you burning/breaking in on a DAC???? If anything, components degrade over time. I understand to an extent the urge to burn-in something like speakers or dynamic drivers, but a DAC???? Plus, your ears can't even tell subtle differences in sound an hour apart from each other, let alone after 72 hours burn-in??? Wow you must have a killer auditory memory. :triportsad: Understand personal experience counts the most, but might want to add "YMMV." :) Wish this hobby wasn't so ill-informed.
Ever have a smell memory? Our senses go beyond reason - I’ve been in this hobby since I was very young - learned a lot- if you don’t buy into break in periods for wire equipment and speakers - well I guess you are missing something- cars break in, sneakers, I could go on- on a molecular level everything is isolating and meshing together but never really touching. I can’t explain everything about break in but I do know the equipment performs best when it has some time run in on it-choose your own reality - pseudo science or not for me and many others break in is real regardless of circuit or mechanics.

May 31, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #300 of 1,101
I never heard a solid state component "break in". Once they have acclimated to the room temperature that is what they are likely to sound like forever. Just my experience. Now tubes, that an entirely different matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back