Topping D90
May 6, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #196 of 1,101
I wonder if the iDefender+ could help? Seems to be one of the reasonably priced add-ons from iFi.

May 6, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #197 of 1,101
So, for various reasons, I had the D50s, E30, D90 and D90 MQA at different times in my system during the past 4 months or so. I never had an issue with any of these USB input wise or in any other way. Pretty lucky thus far.

A quick note on differences between D90 and D50s, D90 kills it. Quick note on differences between D90 and D90 MQA while listening to Master tracks on Tidal, I don't hear a difference. Maybe it's me. Maybe it's my ears. But, I don't hear much difference between the filtering modes either. I prefer mode 4 but it's more like I feel like it's better rather than I am hearing a difference.

May 6, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #198 of 1,101
Has anybody seen a PDF manual for the Topping D90? I'd sure like to see it.

May 6, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #199 of 1,101
Any thoughts/comparisons on the D90 vs the Hugo2 (being used as a DAC, not a headphone amp)?

the differences are mimimal. the hugo 2 has a more upfront treble 100%. its more in your face/brighter. everything else is quite similar though.

i use both in my system as reguarly switch them to see the difference. i keep the hugo 2 cause it has the headphone amp as well which i can you use when travelling or around my house etc

the D90 is an incredible dac for the money

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #200 of 1,101
May 6, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #201 of 1,101
I have not heard any clicking noise with USB from my Aries Mini (Music Streamer Linux platform) , even "absolute zero noise" than my previous DX3 Pro clicking noise, when music format changed from DSD to FLAC

May 7, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #202 of 1,101
I would recommend this piece of song , Zee Avi - Swell Window, very well presented with music instruments separation, left to centre to right. Have a good listening and enjoy.

Another recommended track Stan Getz & João Gilberto - The Girl from Ipanema (1963 - Getz/Giberto SACD) , sound clean, left - percussion, centre - Stand Getz, right - João Gilberto

Also Bucky Pizzarelli (Featuring John Pizzarelli and Ed Laub) - Stompin' At The Savoy.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #203 of 1,101
Topping is one of the most popular brands of the moment and with their D90 DAC they show us why. Incredible value and great sound, what's not to like? A new recommended buy!

The full review, now on Headfonia.

https://www.headfonia.com/topping-d90-review/

May 17, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #204 of 1,101
I don't believe in boutique cables, so I'm just using a 1.5 metre Hosa Pro cable. Input is 24/192, highest possible with the D90's AK4118 receiver chip. I don't hear any floor noise with optical. I hear floor noise and popping with USB. So as far as I'm concerned, the USB implementation on this DAC for me is trash. I'm using a Windows 7 PC. Maybe it's fixed in Windows 10 because USB audio handling for that OS is improved, I don't know. And other people might have cleaner USB power going into it, so it might be OK for them.

Optical has somewhat of a dubious reputation due to possible jitter issues. But I think the AK4118 chip is doing its job, as I don't hear anything strange.

It would actually help if you specified what music player software you are using too, as this can cause this kind of issue. You might be getting packet losses from your PC which would cause pops, that is not an issue with the DAC.

May 17, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #209 of 1,101
My D90 MQA shipped and APOS also upgraded my shipping to expedited freight and no additional charged, that plus the extra year is a very compelling reason to buy from them. I’ll come back and leave my impressions once my setup is playing a few days and I get sometime to listen extensively. looking forward.

Last edited:
May 17, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #210 of 1,101
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back