Topping D90
Apr 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #181 of 1,101
Which filter mode do you guys prefer on the D90?

I realise that many variables are at play here but it’d be interesting to see what you have settled on and why. The default is mode 3. I’ve listened a lot to mode 1. However, I’ve decided to go back to the default mode 3 as I find the sound a little more balanced and rounded - better synergy with my outboard components. I find mode 1 a little fatiguing for long listening sessions (2+ hours).

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #183 of 1,101
I just ordered the D90 MQA, looking forward to sharing some impressions and enjoying what perhaps might be my end game desktop Dac.
well, as I was about to put my order through, S.M.S.L announced the M400. So, I held off until I hear impression of the M400 before I pull the trigger.

May 15th Update: Ordered the Black D90 MQA I felt I didn't want perhaps to find an issue with the M400 as part of new owners, was swayed knowing that the D90 is stable.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #184 of 1,101
Interestingly, I noticed there's no longer any "pop/click" noise at the start/end of a signal on my new class D poweramp by Purifi. Previously, I was temporarily using a class a/b (Akitika GT-102) poweramp... Well, this pretty much solved my nitpicks about this dac! :relieved:

May 4, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #186 of 1,101
Im new, just learning. But, should not a balanced xlr have noticeably less noise & less cross talk besides a +3db volume from voltage gains.
According to Topping's specs it does have less noise and crosstalk when using balanced out vs unbalanced. (Spec pic from Apos store)

Attachments

• apos-audio-topping-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-topping-d90-dac-digital-to-analog-converter...jpg
    apos-audio-topping-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-topping-d90-dac-digital-to-analog-converter...jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
May 4, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #187 of 1,101
I have a D50s DAC and I love it. However, I am getting a Purifi-based digital amp this week and it's balanced input only. Now I can use adapters, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the D90 now so I can benefit from a fully balanced system. Anyone compare the D90 to the D50s (I also use the P50 linear power supply)?

May 4, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #188 of 1,101
Got mine on top of my 887 currently but i had it other way around before. Just prefer the headphone cable on the bottom

Any thoughts/comparisons on the D90 vs the Hugo2 (being used as a DAC, not a headphone amp)?

May 6, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #189 of 1,101
Hi, I just got this silver D90 DAC two days ago... to match with my integrated amplifier.

My initial impression, it's much wider, natural, airy soundstage, compared with my previous DX3 Pro (V.1). I can hear more layers of sound and music depth, easier to distinguish between music instruments (especially classical genres) and their position. It's good to listen all my favorite music collection again.

The D90 will get warm easily however, it is recommended to place at a well ventilated open area than closed shelves/cabinet.

Not sure how will D90 perform after hundred hours run in? Only time will tell. Enjoy music and cheers !

20200504_115531.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #190 of 1,101
What issues are people having with USB on the D90? I’ve briefly tested USB and it worked perfectly for me.

I posted my issues on page 2. Consider yourself lucky. For me, USB input produces clicking when the signal ends, but worse, it produces a bit of noise, proving that the D90's USB power filtering isn't good. I don't hear any clicking or noise with optical input. I am certain that it's the D90 and not my amp at fault after trying various setups for hours with different DACs, and others have listened to my setup and confirmed it. I'm using XLR out so this isn't an unbalanced audio issue.

It's disappointing that people look at graphs showing immaculate low-noise graphs and think the D90 has good USB power filtering when it doesn't. It won't be an issue for those with clean USB power, but others aren't as fortunate.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #191 of 1,101
I don't have any issues with USB on my D90 at all. My device has been perfect. Someone over a ASR stated some issues with Mac OS drivers and the MQA D90 version.

I would not keep a device that cost $700+ that had any connection issues. I don't get why folks just don't send broken devices back for refunds or just dispute the credit card charge.

May 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #192 of 1,101
I don't have any issues with USB on my D90 at all. My device has been perfect. Someone over a ASR stated some issues with Mac OS drivers and the MQA D90 version.

I would not keep a device that cost $700+ that had any connection issues. I don't get why folks just don't send broken devices back for refunds or just dispute the credit card charge.

I also have zero issues via usb to Windows 10 on my MQA D90

May 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #193 of 1,101

The Topping D90 is still the least expensive DAC with the AK4499 DAC chip, so there isn't a real alternative. I never plan on using the USB input again, won't be using the flawed IIS inputs that others have reported, and I'm happy with optical input. Also, shipping back to China is horrendously expensive and would cost up to 25% of the unit itself. I'd rather just sell the unit locally if something new and improved is released in the future.

May 6, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #194 of 1,101
I posted my issues on page 2. Consider yourself lucky. For me, USB input produces clicking when the signal ends, but worse, it produces a bit of noise, proving that the D90's USB power filtering isn't good. I don't hear any clicking or noise with optical input. I am certain that it's the D90 and not my amp at fault after trying various setups for hours with different DACs, and others have listened to my setup and confirmed it. I'm using XLR out so this isn't an unbalanced audio issue.

It's disappointing that people look at graphs showing immaculate low-noise graphs and think the D90 has good USB power filtering when it doesn't. It won't be an issue for those with clean USB power, but others aren't as fortunate.
You are probably the only one here with such usb problems. You have already answered with a dozen owners of D90 who do not have such problems with USB. In D90, the implementation of USB is one of the best in the industry. Look at your software. Moreover, you already had such a problem. You have the same problem with another dac.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #195 of 1,101

I presume you've tried a different USB cable? I only use 0.5m or shorter USB cables to connect DACs to my source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back