Topping D90
Apr 15, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #106 of 1,101
It may be the cables.

I am only using the XLR outputs. What is your output setting? You could try BOTH XLR and RCA to see what happens.

Also, I agree with you about menu number 10 (DSD flag), but that is definitely related to the IIS interface and things go crazy on my D90 if I leave it at the default setting of 14.

I'll try RCA tomorrow as I need to find my RCA cables, and I'll let you know how it goes. In your case it sounds like something is muted. I was getting horrible static noises when I had the wrong IIS settings.
I was outputting RCA only but changed it to RCA+XLR. No change. I ordered a brand new 4K HDMI cable up to date with the latest specs for 2020. It should be here Saturday. Hopefully that's all it was. It's just so weird that it's clearly receiving the signal (it shows whatever the incoming bitrate is). So I don't get why it will not output anything. I could understand if the cable was bad and it wasn't receiving any data, showing ----KHz like it does on any input that doesn't have a signal.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #107 of 1,101
Just from some of my readings in here, is it safe to say that this may not be the dac to get if I will be running with usb instead of optical? Curious if it's unanimous that the usb underperformed, cheers!

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #108 of 1,101
Just from some of my readings in here, is it safe to say that this may not be the dac to get if I will be running with usb instead of optical? Curious if it's unanimous that the usb underperformed, cheers!
It just depends on the quality of your USB source and cable. USB decrapifyers are available. I've always had good results with iFi iPurifier2 or 3. That's all it requires to bring D90 up to full performance with USB.

Apr 16, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #109 of 1,101
By default, filter 3 is included in the D90.
I personally liked filter 1 more, which shows a more natural scene with an arrangement of musical instruments and also more density in the sound and more dynamics in the sound.
I like Filter 1 Now... Had to adjust a bit to it. But just dropping by to say Try filter 4, its also a good one.

Apr 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #110 of 1,101
Topping D90 IIS-LVDS vs USB Interface Sound Quality

I've been doing a bit of testing of the sound quality on the I2S (IIS-LVDS) interface and the USB interface. I used exactly the same music app source (UAPP running on my Cayin N6ii DAP) and I played a set of three songs alternately using each interface a total of four times (= 12 songs per interface). I know the songs well so was looking out for presentation and detail.

The bottom line, to my ears, is this: the I2S interface on the Topping D90 sounds a little better than the USB interface. However, there is a difference in soundstage. The I2S interface sounded more 'in my head' than the USB interface. The USB interface was a little more laid back and further away in its presentation of the soundstage (which is something I do prefer generally).

However, in terms of resolution, clarity and detail of vocals and instruments, the I2S interface was slightly better. The downside of the I2S interface is that you may have to do a bit of menu configuration on the D90 to get it to work with your source. The USB interface was plug and play - I used an Android OTG dongle and a short printer-style USB cable and that combo worked perfectly. In terms of cabling for the I2S interface, I used a standard mini HDMI (DAP end) to HDMI cable (D90 end).

So, in summary, if you want a more laid back presentation with a soundstage that's in front of you then the USB interface may be to your liking. If you want a more 'in your head' presentation that is more vibrant, more forward, with a little more clarity and detail, then the I2S interface may be your preferred option.
Can you also try a little bit Optical sound performance, please? I would use it only via Optical and would like to know how it compare to I2s and USB, even if i don't need a long and detailed comparison.. I guess also some people would be interested as maybe would use only Optical/Toslink like me :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #111 of 1,101
Can you also try a little bit Optical sound performance, please? I would use it only via Optical and would like to know how it compare to I2s and USB, even if i don't need a long and detailed comparison.. I guess also some people would be interested as maybe would use only Optical/Toslink like me :)

Unfortunately I don't have a Toslink output on my DAP source device. I have USB Audio, I2S and S/PDIF Coax.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #112 of 1,101

To be honest, the USB interface was absolutely fine and it was plug and play for me. Sure, I found the I2S interface to be 'better' but the music presentation was not quite as good as the USB for me (I2S too 'in my head'). However, in most details. clarity and accuracy. the I2S interface had a slight advantage over USB. That's not to say the USB interface was bad in any way. It was very good.

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #113 of 1,101
Unfortunately I don't have a Toslink output on my DAP source device. I have USB Audio, I2S and S/PDIF Coax.
Don't worry, i guess until i purchase it and try for myself i will die before someone gonna tell me how it sounds on Toslink :frowning2:

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #115 of 1,101
Somebody must have a Toslink source connected to their D90! However, I imagine that most people will use USB or Coax.
Yep, i guess so. Until proven otherwise, i will be the only one i know who has to use it only Optical connection ahahah

Apr 16, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #116 of 1,101
To be honest, the USB interface was absolutely fine and it was plug and play for me. Sure, I found the I2S interface to be 'better' but the music presentation was not quite as good as the USB for me (I2S too 'in my head'). However, in most details. clarity and accuracy. the I2S interface had a slight advantage over USB. That's not to say the USB interface was bad in any way. It was very good.

Fair enough, thanks for the info!
I'll probably just sit tight for a little while to see how the Liquid Platinum dac is received as well as any other AKM4499 dac that may come out this year. Hard to not pull the trigger on the D90 now though!

Apr 17, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #117 of 1,101
TOPPING D90 MQA version is about to release on the 21st of April, at higher $100 than the normal version price. Pls looking forward to it!

Attachments

• 未标题-1.jpg
    未标题-1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 未标题-2.jpg
    未标题-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 未标题-3.jpg
    未标题-3.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 未标题4.jpg
    未标题4.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 未标题5.jpg
    未标题5.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
ShenzhenAudio https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio Stay updated on ShenzhenAudio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/shenzhenaudio/ https://twitter.com/shenzhenaudio https://shenzhenaudio.com/
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #118 of 1,101
Hello,
I have recently had an issue once when using my topping d90. I started playing music but then it stopped playing I thought it might have been a loose cable connection so I made sure and tried again But still no luck I then tried to connect via Bluetooth thinking there might be something wrong with the cable but I couldn’t connect to it I then tried to power off via front power button and turned it back on a moment later. Still no luck in connecting via cable or Bluetooth. Finally I turned it of and on via the power switch at the back of the unit and everything worked normally after that. this is the first time this has occurred.I am wondering if there is something wrong with my unit? Has anyone experienced this?
Thank you,
Dhananjeyan

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #119 of 1,101
Hello,
I have recently had an issue once when using my topping d90. I started playing music but then it stopped playing I thought it might have been a loose cable connection so I made sure and tried again But still no luck I then tried to connect via Bluetooth thinking there might be something wrong with the cable but I couldn’t connect to it I then tried to power off via front power button and turned it back on a moment later. Still no luck in connecting via cable or Bluetooth. Finally I turned it of and on via the power switch at the back of the unit and everything worked normally after that. this is the first time this has occurred.I am wondering if there is something wrong with my unit? Has anyone experienced this?
Thank you,
Dhananjeyan
So far there has been no such thing. I have been using it for a short time for only a week. And what is your D90 connection?
Previous DACs used ADI2 DAC, but unfortunately I had to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back