Topping D90
Feb 27, 2020 at 3:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,101

m-i-c-k-e-y

Headphoneus Supremus
There is this new rave of an excellent sounding and measuring DAC at affordable price...

Topping D90

Product Page: http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398270.html

mUsQ0x2h.jpg

Reviews:
Soundnews.net

Measurements:
L7audiolab

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 1,101
Great Dac, bit overpriced if you don't need or use certain features though, I have mine in Dac mode 24/7.
MQA model is delayed due to corona virus. So no longer March 1st.

Pairs well with the THX amps. MassDrop THX it hangs over the side when on top, Monoprice THX fits quite well on top.

Initial Impressions:
Compared to a Sabre Dac its still AKM "softer sounding" but not as soft as most 4490-97 Dac's I've heard if anything its closer to a Sabre at least in my opinion! (Its a Dac..Tiny differences at best anyway). But it doesn't sound the same as the Sabre E.g. SMSL SU8 in the bass & upper mids region, sounds like the D90 is missing something with some songs, very noticeable. The D90 has more sub bass & impact (sound) focus due to its speed it makes the HD800 almost speaker/woofer like sounding at times minus the decay if you get the right deep sounding songs.
Current Impressions:
Its technically superior to many (mostly cheaper) Dac's I've tried to date, I took a risk buying it over the Denafrips Ares2 (R2R) which I've heard & I don't regret my purchase.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 1,101
Yes, it doen't have its own thread. So might as well made one...

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 1,101
My next DAC is going to be the Schiit Bifrost 2, but I like to have a couple different flavors to sample from, so I'll probably pick up either the Monoprice Cavailli AK4499 DAC or the MQA version of the D90, whichever comes out first.

Feb 29, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 1,101
Anyone able to compare with D50? Was hoping to pick up a Soekris R2R unit but they have been out of stock for a while, considering the D90 if it is noticeably better than the D50. The D50 is wide-sounding but flat and two-dimensional, was hoping for the Soekris R2R to bring some three-dimensionality to my music.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 1,101
Anyone able to compare with D50? Was hoping to pick up a Soekris R2R unit but they have been out of stock for a while, considering the D90 if it is noticeably better than the D50. The D50 is wide-sounding but flat and two-dimensional, was hoping for the Soekris R2R to bring some three-dimensionality to my music.
Not Direct but the D50 had more body & Mids than my SU-8 going off memory, So its probably got more "body/Mids" than the D90. D90 pulls ahead everywhere else.
The overall presentation depending on source has that three-dimensionality to music you want. Its a step up from how i remember the D50, It definitely is vs SMSL SU-8 in a a/b test.

If the Soekris R2R is comparable to the Denafrips Ares2, Then D90 is a good alternative, but if you want that D50 "full body" of sound with the mids then the R2R might suit you better, at least in my experience & opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 1,101
Not Direct but the D50 had more body & Mids than my SU-8 going off memory, So its probably got more "body/Mids" than the D90. D90 pulls ahead everywhere else.
The overall presentation depending on source has that three-dimensionality to music you want. Its a step up from how i remember the D50, It definitely is vs SMSL SU-8 in a a/b test.

If the Soekris R2R is comparable to the Denafrips Ares2, Then D90 is a good alternative, but if you want that D50 "full body" of sound with the mids then the R2R might suit you better, at least in my experience & opinion.
Did you hear Ares2 too, then? What's your opinion in it, R2R vs D90?

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 1,101
Did you hear Ares2 too, then? What's your opinion in it, R2R vs D90?
I guess my overall opinion of R2R (*EDIT: Ment Ares2) is just the richness of music vs the D90 wow your pants off.

Holographic presentation of sound, talking soundstage, imaging, separation. To be blunt both were impressive. I did feel at first listen the D90 did it better, now that i'm used to the D90 i do second guess if that's the case, the sound has tighted up a bit as I adjusted.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 1,101
Soekris is very clean for what it is (allegedly, the word pristine has been thrown around), Ares is a little more tilted to warm mids like a classic R2R. From what I've read already the D90 has a flat linear response but has the same soundstage and imaging characteristics as R2R DACs or really good delta-sigma implementations like the RME ADI-2.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 1,101
Looking at a good dac to slam my audeze LCD-2C. With seperation for instruments and a monster stage.

Should the d90 be my buy, heard 70 was bass thin.

Or do you guys recommend something else?

Edit : currently on schiit multibit jotunheim.

So pretty much I'd expect to be dealing with a significant upgrade. I would hope, or it would be a waste of money. (which if you feel like it'd not worth it, feel free)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 1,101
I decided to stay with D70, because with it the sound of my system is nicer/mellower for my ears.
D90 is more dynamic and percise, has stronger attack on bass and midrange, because of this, the presentation becomes more crispier and in your face (maybe a bit more resolve though). D70 in comparsion makes presentation a bit calmer and naturally laid-back. After week of comparsions I like D70 midrange presentation a bit more. Maybe it's because of using OPA1612 opamps (there is only LME49720 used in D70), I don't know.
If you are more into rhytmic and fast-pased music, like electronic and metal, then D90 might be a better choice. But if you like vocals and more comfort/effortless music presentation then D70 is the way to go.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 1,101
Would love to hear more from D90 users about this DAC. I own a Vinshine R2R Reference, which is similar to the Denafrips DACs. I really like it, but am ready for a change. The only delta sigma DAC I've owned was in the Audeze Deckard. It was good, not great. Otherwise, it's been NOS and R2R in my system. There are a few I am interested in obtaining. The D90, RME ADI and the LKS MH-004. All mid-fi price with the reputation of punching way above their price point. The D90 measures great, but that doesn't speak to musicality. Another DAC of interest is the Musical Fidelity M6S. However, the D90's price would be hard to beat.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 1,101
I recently sold my Audio_GD NOS11v2 after I bought a RME ADI2, which I liked better on my main system, but I switched to the D90 now, so I can use the RME at my desk.
I only listened a short time but I really am impressed with the Topping. Very detailed, airy and natural sounding. sub bass is exceptionally well defined, maybe slightly better than on the RME but I'm not sure. I enjoyed the NOS11 for several years but I upgraded my Harbeth SHL5 to the more modern sounding +40th version and do prefer a more accurate DAC over these speakers, and the D90 over the RME I think, also because the soundstage seems to have more depth..I don't now, both sound excellent on my main system and V280 amp -> HD800S I feel spoiled.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 1,101
Appreciate the review. I am surprised as well. Hoping more folks would speak up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back