Topping D50
Jan 26, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #1,036 of 1,054
in terms of sound optical cable is the same as good brand coaxial cable?

I'd say it depends on transmitters and receivers used, but coaxial S/PDIF is often considered as better in audio.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 3, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,038 of 1,054
Hello guys,

I've recently bought P50 & D50s, so A50s on Pre-Order without knowingly when it is available.
Have a question, on my windows 10 its automatically install the driver, but when im checking my device manager theres still Driver Topping DFU un-recognize.
So where can i download this driver ? been searching the drivers & no result. all i found only
V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro. but the issue still there.
i think this xmos driver just like my d30 before.
Anyone know for this D50s ?
(screenshot attach)

Thank you

Attachments

• Topping D50s DFU Driver.jpg
    Topping D50s DFU Driver.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,039 of 1,054
Hello guys,

I've recently bought P50 & D50s, so A50s on Pre-Order without knowingly when it is available.
Have a question, on my windows 10 its automatically install the driver, but when im checking my device manager theres still Driver Topping DFU un-recognize.
So where can i download this driver ? been searching the drivers & no result. all i found only
V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro. but the issue still there.
i think this xmos driver just like my d30 before.
Anyone know for this D50s ?
(screenshot attach)

Thank you
DFU is needed for XMOS firmware, as a consumer you probably won't ever need to flash firmware so you can just ignore that.

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #1,041 of 1,054
Anybody here who's Topping D50 non-S version suddenly drops dead without any clue?

My D50 running from a power bank and decoding signal from the optical port, suddenly it shut off, No heat or burn nothing. If I connect the power banks or 2A usb charger I only hear click - No screen on or nothing.

Got D50 during 2017-18, not heavily used though, I have other Amp+Dac combos too.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #1,043 of 1,054
My D50 unit 95% of the time of its life process signal from Optical Port, Used provided USB to Barrel Jack power cable in the box - To Power the units always use Xiaomi 20000 mAh Power Banks, never connect to any USB Wall adopter.

It just turns off and gone forever. Very Very Sad.

There is no reset switch or anything.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #1,044 of 1,054
My D50 unit 95% of the time of its life process signal from Optical Port, Used provided USB to Barrel Jack power cable in the box - To Power the units always use Xiaomi 20000 mAh Power Banks, never connect to any USB Wall adopter.

It just turns off and gone forever. Very Very Sad.

There is no reset switch or anything.
This is the problem with my unit. I powered it with USB and it was damaged plus the USB 2.0 ports of the motherboard!

Aug 22, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #1,045 of 1,054
Hi Guys
I’m taking a look at the specifications of 3 DAC models that interest me

Cambridge Audio DacMagic100
Musical Fidelity V-90
Topping D50

My focus is on SNR and THD

Cambridge Audio Magic 100
SNR 113 db
THD 0,0025%

Musical Fidelity V-90
SNR 117 db
THD 0,004%

Topping D50
SNR 122db
THD 0,0004%

Topping D50 is the quietest, and it is also the one that has a more contained harmonic distortion.
It basically means (Correct me If I'm Wrong) that the sound is clear. Of the three, Topping D50 is the only one approaching 0.0001% (ideal value).
What do You Think Guys?

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #1,047 of 1,054
@AxeMadman81 I wouldn't focus too much on numbers which will have zero impact on the sound you eventually hear through your headphones or speakers. Those numbers are massively outside the hearing ability of a human being!

I've had the DacMagic 100 (Plus version) and returned it for different reasons (e.g. inability to turn off the upsampling). The sound quality was okay. I still have a D50 boxed up these days as I've upgraded to a Gustard A18, but the D50 served me very well for a long time and is one of the most underrated DACs out there. The sound quality for the price was extremely good. Bear in mind that it's is pretty old now.

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #1,048 of 1,054
@AxeMadman81 I wouldn't focus too much on numbers which will have zero impact on the sound you eventually hear through your headphones or speakers. Those numbers are massively outside the hearing ability of a human being!

I've had the DacMagic 100 (Plus version) and returned it for different reasons (e.g. inability to turn off the upsampling). The sound quality was okay. I still have a D50 boxed up these days as I've upgraded to a Gustard A18, but the D50 served me very well for a long time and is one of the most underrated DACs out there. The sound quality for the price was extremely good. Bear in mind that it's is pretty old now.
Thanks Bro, I appreciate
I'm almost listen exclusively PCM 44-16 or maximum 24/96...I'm not interested in DAC native DSD...However the thing about Automatic oversampling scares me a lot!!!!
If I Give 44/16hz to a DAC, I expected that i'll listenin Output the same resolution and not An higher..
How does it works?
You are saying that there are DAC that oversamplig all the time?HolyShit

Aug 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,049 of 1,054
Thanks Bro, I appreciate
I'm almost listen exclusively PCM 44-16 or maximum 24/96...I'm not interested in DAC native DSD...However the thing about Automatic oversampling scares me a lot!!!!
If I Give 44/16hz to a DAC, I expected that i'll listenin Output the same resolution and not An higher..
How does it works?
You are saying that there are DAC that oversamplig all the time?HolyShit
Not oversampling, but upsampling. I couldn't find a way to turn it off on the DacMagic. Some people like it, others, like me, don't. As I mentioned previously, the D50 is quite old and has been superseded, so it's unlikely you'd find a new one for sale. Used ones should be a bargain.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,050 of 1,054
Not oversampling, but upsampling. I couldn't find a way to turn it off on the DacMagic. Some people like it, others, like me, don't. As I mentioned previously, the D50 is quite old and has been superseded, so it's unlikely you'd find a new one for sale. Used ones should be a bargain.
Sorry,English is not my mother language..What do you mean with Upsampling?It's a problem that affect only Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100?
Topping D50 is at good price yeah..With D50s has in common the same Chip minus Blootooth..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back