Topping D50
Jan 23, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #586 of 1,054
D10 has to run on single PC USB there is no option for separate power unless you use an iDefender 3.0

I am running D50 using a portable power bank to its DC input, i figured this would be better than cheap 5v plug, it doesnt have an internal battery.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #587 of 1,054
I have never had this problem with optical before on any dac, it only resulted in a slightly smoother sound.

D50 runs on battery and D10 on PC usb power.

Also tried flicking through the filters but they all sound identical, i dont know if you need to power on off after selection to enable filters? but i heard nothing not even on NOS mode.

Sounds like you need to upgrade your amp (more resolving/transparent ) you should be able to tell the difference ,same as Optical vs. USB ..amp have a lot to do with your end result- tonality

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #588 of 1,054
Very simple: because optical interface is inferior to coaxial and usb interface. Just that. People think that because it's optical it should be better, but the problem is the interface which is bad. There is a a high quality interface, can't remember the name now (ITT or something) that is as good as coaxial. But I guess it was expensive and manufacturers didn't adopt it.

Power supplies are both linear?

Not in all applications. I've found optical to be superior in sound quality to usb in many of my dacs, but I have not tried it with the D50. I absolutely prefer the coax to the usb of the D50 though. There is not one dac I own that I prefer the usb interface on over coax.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #589 of 1,054
Sounds like you need to upgrade your amp (more resolving/transparent ) you should be able to tell the difference ,same as Optical vs. USB ..amp have a lot to do with your end result- tonality

It just takes me time to hear the differences, i didnt realise how thick and muddy mojo sounded on high end headphones until i used it for months and then switched to something else, on quick AB i cant tell the difference. I will do the same with D10 after using D50 solely for a month.

Jan 23, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #591 of 1,054
@Deftone ..It's hard to recommend anything since we all have different music preferences but there are definitely some good choices under 1K,
I have been enjoying this D50 for a while now (early adopter) and I like it a lot but it's time to go balance ,will be keeping it just in case ,yes D50 is worth investing in quality amp
Good luck

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #592 of 1,054
Topping_ADP50.jpg
I am still waiting for this items: A50 and P50 ~

Jan 24, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #593 of 1,054
I absolutely prefer the coax to the usb of the D50 though. There is not one dac I own that I prefer the usb interface on over coax.
Thats because XMOS etc USB implementation sucks even more than SPDIF.
Try this one, and you most certainly will change your mind regarding audio over USB versus SPDIF:
https://pro.intona.eu/en/products/7054
go for the even more expensive 2,5kV version.

Had both side by side for extensive auditioning, its worth any cent, as this really is a keeper.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #594 of 1,054
Also tried flicking through the filters but they all sound identical, i dont know if you need to power on off after selection to enable filters? but i heard nothing not even on NOS mode.
IMO you are not supposed to hear any difference.
The science behind that filter hype is the science of bull s crap sales speak.

The ringing and pre-ringing pictured everywhere is occurring only, when Nyquist barrier is overstepped.
So, if the recording engineer knew his job, there is no signal content beyond Nyquist barrier. None. Nada. Zero.

The influence on phase shift and FR associated with different filters are such microscopic, I highly doubt anybody can pick those up without second order effects involved. Like for example current drive or slew rate limits on down stream amp stages, etc.
Let alone that microscopic differences in phase shift and FR do not stand in the way of deeply enjoying any music.
Always keep in mind the gross "errors" made by any transducers, eg speakers or headphones.

Simple as that

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #595 of 1,054
IMO you are not supposed to hear any difference.
The science behind that filter hype is the science of bull s **** sales speak.

The ringing and pre-ringing pictured everywhere is occurring only, when Nyquist barrier is overstepped.
So, if the recording engineer knew his job, there is no signal content beyond Nyquist. None. Nada. Zero.

The influence on phase shift and FR associated with different filters are such microscopic, I highly doubt anybody can pick those up without second order effects involved.

Simple as that
There are dacs and daps where I could very clearly pick up the differences, with some others not at alll. I think it depends on the implementation or how aggressive were the HF roll off and the phase shift applied.
For example, listening to the FiiO X5ii I can easily hear the differences between "steep" and "gradual" filter, but with the D50 on the contrary, I can hear almost nothing.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #597 of 1,054
Thats because XMOS etc USB implementation sucks even more than SPDIF.
Try this one, and you most certainly will change your mind regarding audio over USB versus SPDIF:
https://pro.intona.eu/en/products/7054
go for the even more expensive 2,5kV version.

Had both side by side for extensive auditioning, its worth any cent, as this really is a keeper.

Yes XMOS is pretty bad and implemented over multiple platforms but why would you spend all that $ on some stupid USB insulators ?
Why not get digital bridge for almost same money, Gustard U16 is only few back more and ESS driven

Jan 24, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #598 of 1,054
Yes XMOS is pretty bad and implemented over multiple platforms but why would you spend all that $ on some stupid USB insulators ?
Why not get digital bridge for almost same money, Gustard U16 is only few back more and ESS driven
Actually I don't like the current D50 ESS DAC that much.
Thats not to say that its necessarily the ESS chip itself, as for example the "ancient" NuForce uDAC-3 also uses a ESS chip but is way ahead of the Topping in musicality.

So, to me its not stupid to put my money on the Intona USB isolator, as the Intona does a great job on any DAC so far.
Its benefits are not limited to XMOS USB interface device at all.
The NuForce does not utilize a XMOS AFAIK, nor do the TEACs or the Hifime UH1 DAC I've tried.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #599 of 1,054
I did some testing/listening today D50 vs Copland CDA822 player. CDA822 has (xlr) rca / spdif out and pre amp has relay inputs so signal cuts off completely when changing source, although it's fed to both ways at the same time (rca and spdif).
This is not ment to be scientific comparison but more like listening if it sounds different, and indeed it does. But not by much. I used The Eden House - Street spirit (fade out) as test track ( The looking glass cd ).

So, player is connected to pre amp with Nordost RedDawn rca's and D50 with basic spidf. Sound level is a tad higher with player. CDA822 has slightly better separation and bottom end, D50 very slightly more "klang" in top end.
And that's about it. No real difference, if someone would play me whole track i couldn't tell 100% if it's D50 or CDA822 but, CDA822 has neat A-B option so i can "record" part of the song (it plays same part again, it doesn't save it to memory)
and was able to pick some tiny differences. Biggest difference is singer is slightly more forward and articulation is clearer.

But there is but, CDA822 is HDCD-player and it converts regular 44kHz/16bit cd to 176.4khz / 24bit. : https://hometheaterreview.com/copland-cda822-compact-disc-player-reviewed/
The master clock is used for the CD transport, the sample rate converter and the D/A converter, the 44.1khz digital signal from the transport upsampled by to a 176.4khz, 24-bit signal while also removing jitter.

And when played through spdif it only gives 44.1kHz/16bit (not sure about bits, could be 24?) out ( D50 shows 44.1 / 00bits ).

But yes, both do their job very well and in regular listening there is no real world difference.

Copland CTA301 mkII ( Shuguang CV-181-Z )
Copland CDA822
Topping D50
Nelson Audio Image M9 ( TAD EF86, Shuguang 6N8PA "globe", 4 x Tungsol KT66 / unit )
Duntech Opal

sorry no headphone testing this time :nerd:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #600 of 1,054
It seems i've been able to notice differences much sooner than i thought, switching back to D10 tonight has helped with that. D50 seems to add a bit of weight and layering to the bass with a slightly larger soundstage and more air but sounds too smooth and kind. Drum impact is softened and vocal pulled back a little, its actually quite forgiving with bad recordings I wasnt able to hear clipping distortion as easily. D10 is more resolving gives better energy and snap in the midrange, giving the sense of being much more lively, faster and precise but still not fatiguing or digital.

I have a feeling D50 + tube amp would be a great pairing for HD800 but for my HD660 i prefer the D10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back