Topping D50
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #574 of 1,054
The D50 does need the ground wire or it wont sync to PC, so it must be connected somewhere else, it did actually sound noticeable better (more noticeable than taping off vbus at least) but this probably varies from machine to machine, the problem is that after a certain amount of time, could be a minute or an hour, the sound cuts out and it needs DAC needs to be restarted and resynced.

Jan 20, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #575 of 1,054
So how does the AUTO power off feature work. I have it enabled and yet the DAC never switches itself off, even though there is no signal coming to it. Did anyone managed to get this feature to work?
D50 receives always some kind of signal through the USB signal cord. Even when the audio software stops playing or you quit the software, the D50 is still awake. Only when you disconnect the USB signal cable from the PC/laptop, the D50 switches off after 30 seconds.
Of course this is a questionable logic. If you are using laptop, then you might want to disconnect the usb cable and there you have the auto power off. But if you are using desktop setup with the usb cable permanently connected, then this auto power off function is useless, you have to manually turn it off.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #576 of 1,054
D50 receives always some kind of signal through the USB signal cord. Even when the audio software stops playing or you quit the software, the D50 is still awake. Only when you disconnect the USB signal cable from the PC/laptop, the D50 switches off after 30 seconds.
Of course this is a questionable logic. If you are using laptop, then you might want to disconnect the usb cable and there you have the auto power off. But if you are using desktop setup with the usb cable permanently connected, then this auto power off function is useless, you have to manually turn it off.
Yup, indeed. It is quite questionable. I have it connected to desktop PC and it just never goes to sleep.

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #577 of 1,054
The D50 does need the ground wire or it wont sync to PC, so it must be connected somewhere else, it did actually sound noticeable better (more noticeable than taping off vbus at least) but this probably varies from machine to machine, the problem is that after a certain amount of time, could be a minute or an hour, the sound cuts out and it needs DAC needs to be restarted and resynced.

You could experiment with separate ground connection between your audio source and DAC (outside of your USB cable).

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #578 of 1,054
WELL, got mine today and can't make it to work :tired_face:

WIN10 + Asus360 laptop

D50 serial# 1809+
device drivers 4.14

tried different cables + power supply
laptops USB ports
D50 turns on nicely, menus are ok

device settings:

Topping USB audio device control panel
No device connected

sound settings, no other devices than speakers

WIN10 doesn't recognize D50 at all and can't find it as an audio/usb device

absolutely no communication between laptop and D50... :angry:

when i turn D50 manually on it gives "USB" then "unlock" and then menu show in bottom line usb input unlock and turns itself off after a while

edit: unlike manual says, i didn't get notification from windows security to accept drivers, only notification i get is that manuals "to complete etc"-YES

Any help appreciated, thanks

well, **** ME, after testing everything i checked bottom of the power supply.... voltage slide selector was just a touch out of 5V and it gave 3V instead... but why it didn't work at all with another PSU :dizzy_face:

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #579 of 1,054
You could experiment with separate ground connection between your audio source and DAC (outside of your USB cable).
This was a good idea to test, so far it sounds like most of improvement is from totally disconnecting the ground (tested by adding a toggle switch to the external ground wire), but having an external ground wire away from data lines might be a small part of it too... its harder to compare the internal vs external ground wire than because it involves removing and adding a piece of tape to the cable plug's ground.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #580 of 1,054
WELL, got mine today and can't make it to work :tired_face:

WIN10 + Asus360 laptop

D50 serial# 1809+
device drivers 4.14

tried different cables + power supply
laptops USB ports
D50 turns on nicely, menus are ok

device settings:

Topping USB audio device control panel
No device connected

sound settings, no other devices than speakers

WIN10 doesn't recognize D50 at all and can't find it as an audio/usb device

absolutely no communication between laptop and D50... :angry:

when i turn D50 manually on it gives "USB" then "unlock" and then menu show in bottom line usb input unlock and turns itself off after a while

edit: unlike manual says, i didn't get notification from windows security to accept drivers, only notification i get is that manuals "to complete etc"-YES

Any help appreciated, thanks

well, **** ME, after testing everything i checked bottom of the power supply.... voltage slide selector was just a touch out of 5V and it gave 3V instead... but why it didn't work at all with another PSU :dizzy_face:
Just wanted to say that I didn't have any problems in Win 10 with D50. I didn't install any drivers and the DAC was instantly recognised by Windows and worked without it giving me info on installing any drivers. Anyway, it looks like you got it working now.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #581 of 1,054
All good, i installed latest drivers for WIN10 but don't know if they are necessary.
Sound is very nice, need to listen a few days and start messing with settings.

edit: Picture to show how tiny D50 actually is :nerd: :

Topping D50.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #582 of 1,054
Got my D50 this morning, I felt that the bass is thicker and the highs a tad more sparkly than the D10 but vocals and mids are pushed back like a U shaped sound. I used optical on D50 and usb with D10 so decided to use 50 with usb as well and completely fixed the problem. I don’t understand why optical had that effect.

So now I’m on USB and they are sounding very close to each other, I’ve only been listening for a few hours so I need more time to pull out the differences but for now I think it’s hard to tell between the two.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #583 of 1,054
Got my D50 this morning, I felt that the bass is thicker and the highs a tad more sparkly than the D10 but vocals and mids are pushed back like a U shaped sound. I used optical on D50 and usb with D10 so decided to use 50 with usb as well and completely fixed the problem. I don’t understand why optical had that effect.

Very simple: because optical interface is inferior to coaxial and usb interface. Just that. People think that because it's optical it should be better, but the problem is the interface which is bad. There is a a high quality interface, can't remember the name now (ITT or something) that is as good as coaxial. But I guess it was expensive and manufacturers didn't adopt it.

So now I’m on USB and they are sounding very close to each other, I’ve only been listening for a few hours so I need more time to pull out the differences but for now I think it’s hard to tell between the two.

Power supplies are both linear?

Jan 23, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #584 of 1,054
Very simple: because optical interface is inferior to coaxial and usb interface. Just that. People think that because it's optical it should be better, but the problem is the interface which is bad. There is a a high quality interface, can't remember the name now (ITT or something) that is as good as coaxial. But I guess it was expensive and manufacturers didn't adopt it.

Power supplies are both linear?

I have never had this problem with optical before on any dac, it only resulted in a slightly smoother sound.

D50 runs on battery and D10 on PC usb power.

Also tried flicking through the filters but they all sound identical, i dont know if you need to power on off after selection to enable filters? but i heard nothing not even on NOS mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back