Topping D50
Jan 13, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #559 of 1,054
By the weight it should be a linear type.

Switching types do not have heavy transformers inside, so they are very light.

To know more about this one in particular, it would have to be opened. Or at least look at the stability under load and noise.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #560 of 1,054
Hey guys I got a question for you maybe you can help me out. I have a topping d50 dac. I have CD player hooked up to the optical in I have a s*** audio magni 3 connected to the RCA out of the DAC to the RCA in of the magni 3. The RCA out of the magni 3 is running into my JBL 3 0 6 p powered monitors.

I hook up my Android phone through an OTG cable to the USB in on the DAC I use USB audio Pro Works flawlessly sounds incredible the here comes my question. This is actually my buddy system he cannot get tidal music on a Apple i-phone.

He can only put it on an Android device tablet Etc or on his Windows 10 computer which has built-in Bluetooth.

I want to stream the title music from his desktop computer to the topping D50 DAC through Bluetooth. I'm trying to think how I go about doing that I would like to hook it up this way the only thing that's available is one coaxial in the back of the DAC so I need a Bluetooth has a coaxial on the end so when I send the music from the computer it'll be picked up by the Bluetooth and send it through the coaxial into the DAC and then I'll be able to play the music is this possible? Unless you know a better way I'm missing something here?

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #561 of 1,054
Hey guys I got a question for you maybe you can help me out. I have a topping d50 dac. I have CD player hooked up to the optical in I have a s*** audio magni 3 connected to the RCA out of the DAC to the RCA in of the magni 3. The RCA out of the magni 3 is running into my JBL 3 0 6 p powered monitors.

I hook up my Android phone through an OTG cable to the USB in on the DAC I use USB audio Pro Works flawlessly sounds incredible the here comes my question. This is actually my buddy system he cannot get tidal music on a Apple i-phone.

He can only put it on an Android device tablet Etc or on his Windows 10 computer which has built-in Bluetooth.

I want to stream the title music from his desktop computer to the topping D50 DAC through Bluetooth. I'm trying to think how I go about doing that I would like to hook it up this way the only thing that's available is one coaxial in the back of the DAC so I need a Bluetooth has a coaxial on the end so when I send the music from the computer it'll be picked up by the Bluetooth and send it through the coaxial into the DAC and then I'll be able to play the music is this possible? Unless you know a better way I'm missing something here?
This might work
https://www.svsound.com/collections/accessories/products/soundpath-wireless-audio-adapter

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #563 of 1,054

Or this possibly. I think this is more in line with what you are trying to do.

https://emotiva.com/collections/accessories/products/btr-1

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #564 of 1,054
Wondering why would the USB input sound so much worse than the spdif and why would connecting an external usb to spdif converter like SMSL x-usb II bring so much improvement while using the very same xmos as already built in the D50, I think I came to the solution. For some reason with the devices I was using until now, i never had any bad experience with the noise and distortion issues connecting usb dacs, probably because they were galvanically isolated or properly filtered. Using the external converter was breaking a line or the loop of D50 having two usb cables connected at the same time, one for the power and one for signal transmission. Once they were isolated or detached, the sound of the D50 was much better.
I remember reading a long time ago about simple solution of noisy usb by using a powered usb hub. I found one laying around unused for years, connected the D50 to the powered usb hub and then connected it to MacBook. To my astonishment the sound changed considerably for better. The D50 lost the hardness, the mids came forward making the sound more engaging, the bass came wider and with more space around the notes, loosing the droning forwardness which was present before and most important, the soundstage got compact. Everything is now more connected, it might sound like a narrower on first listening but it feels more right. Without the usb hub, the soundstage was very wide but hollow in the middle and not deep. I would say that the D50 connected directly to the Mac sounds more V-shaped to me, while connected through the usb hub sounds more linear.
I am pleasantly surprised with the cheap solution. So basically if interested to try, you might buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.de/Hama-2-0-Hub-Netzteil-USB-Kabel-kompatibel/dp/B003E3R1KM?th=1
No need to buy the the USB3.0 since D50 doesn't support it.
Nice find of that Hama USB 2.0 Hub!

Just for a quick reference:

roughly 50mV pp for 23kHz ripple under a load of roughly 0.5A (not as peaky ringing as the former UBS charger shown)
HAMA_USB_hub.jpg

Feeding the D50 through this HAMA hub - connencting both, signal and power to the hub - I got a decent balanced result with good bass, though the underlaying "technical" signature of the D50 remains and overall its not as revealing as through the Intona of course.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #565 of 1,054
Nice find of that Hama USB 2.0 Hub!

Just for a quick reference:

roughly 50mV pp for 23kHz ripple under a load of roughly 0.5A (not as peaky ringing as the former UBS charger shown)

Feeding the D50 through this HAMA hub - connencting both, signal and power to the hub - I got a decent balanced result with good bass, though the underlaying "technical" signature of the D50 remains and overall its not as revealing as through the Intona of course.
Thanks. Do you have any other standard phone charger or linear ps, just to compare the graphs with the HAMA?

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #567 of 1,054
I'd like to summarize my point of view and which conclusions possibly to draw and which ones certainly not to draw.

Based on what I've written regarding the choice of power supply for the D50, everybody is invited to do the same low cost testing. Even if I don't think anybody will come to the exact same findings than me, I'm confident that anybody will detect the difference in overall SQ.

The sub-par power rejection of the Topping D50 puts the customer in a situation, that its onto him who has to find out among a myriad of possibilities what may suit him best.
The same holds true for the sub-par USB input of the Topping D50.
Even worse, there simply is no straight forward way to predict what may or may not suit you, not even if cost is no object or for those already knowing quite a lot about sonic impact of specific settings, or the ones that read tons of silly reviews or this silly sentences I put up here for the matter.

Going the "science" route by measurements, does not help either.
Remember the D50 measures great and the pure battery power supply I have tested measures even better, so measurements are of little help when it comes to sonic signatures.

Same holds true for any "cleaning" attempt of the USB signal, as my experiments with the Intona USB isolator undoubtedly allowed my ear brain system to retrieve quite an increase on details and dynamics, but also puts my nose right on the sonic signature of the Topping D50, which I, for one, didn't find any favourable.
On top of that, my PSU measurements shown, do only cover out of audio band behaviour, which "should" not be any cumbersum, and further on, do tell us next to nothing, as to why the el cheapo HAMA hub for example provides pretty well defined bass.
Also those plots only show, what is embossed on the D50 by the power supply, and by no means how the power supply reacts on transient current demand by the D50, which in fact is a completely different story.

So, is the Topping D50 a good buy in the long run?
It depends, I'd say.

If you are lucky with what you've got, enjoy!
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back