Topping D50
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #242 of 1,054
there is one less unnecessary thing (a switch plus 2 solder connections vs 1) in the signal path, it depends if you think that matters or not .
you can bypass it, I prefered to not have signal enter it but that would be easier.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #243 of 1,054
Bypassing it with a simple wire would be the same as removing it, with less potential harm to the pcb. You would be short-circuiting it, so the signal will not enter that relay

Space is quite limited and the small parts are very close to each other.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #244 of 1,054
Bypassing it with a simple wire would be the same as removing it, with less potential harm to the pcb. You would be short-circuiting it, so the signal will not enter that relay

Space is quite limited and the small parts are very close to each other.
the problem was soldering directly to the pad on not on top of the relay leg, but the test pads solved that.

The signal would still enter the relay though, they are in parallel. if this matters I have no idea, its just ''feels'' better to me.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #245 of 1,054
How did I totally missed the test pads?! Hahahahah.

Thanks a lot, Acke!

On a different note, I am itching to roll the op-amps with discrete op-am from Sparkos Labs.
Which would make a bigger difference? The LPF or the I/V stage?
*this means a new enclosure or no enclosure since considering the size if those opamps.

Having owned the D50 for a few months, I'd post some tweaks I've done for the D50 later.

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #246 of 1,054
Just a questions for thoose of you w/more experience, it will be possible to find or build a linear power supply that can power the D50 and in the mean time a hybrid amp that need an input of 26V/0.8amp ?

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #247 of 1,054
Easiest way, USB battery pack for sale on Amazon.

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #248 of 1,054
On a different note, I am itching to roll the op-amps with discrete op-am from Sparkos Labs.
Which would make a bigger difference? The LPF or the I/V stage?
*this means a new enclosure or no enclosure since considering the size if those opamps.

Depending on your particular environment, no enclosure may be a risky thing. Perhaps a separate enclosure for that discrete stage might be better.

Whatever the case, you shouldn't play too much with those SMD parts and thin pcb lines. You may brick the unit. Better to do some kind of fixed stationary thing, like a small hard wired pcb floating over the D50 board, and do the changes and experimentation there.

That also goes for the power supply upgrades I was suggesting. How to connect things should be carefully planned.

Having owned the D50 for a few months, I'd post some tweaks I've done for the D50 later.

Looking forward knowing what you did. What differences did you have? I usually prefer the term "difference" instead of "better".

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #250 of 1,054
the D50 enclosure is a nuisance for DIY, no space at all and the controls are mounted in seperate heavy chunk of aluminium with a tiny ribbon cable to connect to PCB

Totally agree! That chunk of aluminium does not benefit the sound much, but wastes a lot of metal, and might have increased the cost burden on us.

Nov 14, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #251 of 1,054
My D50 should take a month to get here, so I can't yet say much about its build.

If the aluminum plate is the only metal part on it, maybe it's what provides some solidity to a plastic box.

I'm not too sure not using that metal part would lower the cost (and price) much at all, if any.

A major mod, say linear power supply and output stage changes, would probably mean an external box.

If you do not want to drill the box, and keep it as original as possible for an eventual sale, perhaps replacing the cover with an acrylic plate, to keep the interior dust free, would be an option.

Extra connectors could be added on that plate for the power supply/analog stage interconnection.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #252 of 1,054
That's how the insides look like. Disregard the copper foil tapes I added. (I had hoped that copper would have some effect, considering some users who heard a difference between same devices of difference casings i.e. AK380 alu vs steel vs copper, and Sony WM1Z vs 1A. It did nada to my ears.)

20181030_235619.jpg

The bottom plate is a 2-3mm aluminium plate. The top enclosure is a solid piece of nearly 1in thick of aluminium chuck, CNC'ed with just enough clearance for the power cap, relay, and connectors. There's just 2-3mm of space between the enclosure and the top of opamps.

There's just no space for any additional boards. Any major mod would need a new enclosure.

Though I must admit, for the price... this is amazing quality. If you're not a modder, you'd be happy with the build. They even use MELF resistors at the analogue section ala iFi iDAC2 (still haven't figured out why MELF is better than SMD or legged versions).

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #253 of 1,054
the problem was soldering directly to the pad on not on top of the relay leg, but the test pads solved that.

The signal would still enter the relay though, they are in parallel. if this matters I have no idea, its just ''feels'' better to me.

Depending on the wires used to connect the testpads to connectors, one could "tune" the sound i.e. silver, OFC copper, OCC copper, carbon fibre, stranded, solid core, etc.
Yeah, I'm tweaky that way and it's fun to discover cool effects science can't explain.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #254 of 1,054
Wow, CNCed aluminum case! That is impressive indeed! And it does make mod things difficult if you want to leave the case untouched.

The CNCed top is untouchable and the bottom aluminum plate, which could easily be replaced for another one, drillable, does not give access to the components.

The only thing I can think of is replacing the case with another one, metal or acrylic. A way should be found to secure the front plate, and of course the back of the new case would have to be drilled for the external connectors.

OTOS, the power supply would be on the same case, as on the DX7s, with the regulators closer to the power pads on each chip, and the output RCAs would not need long wires.

I'm not sure MELF resistors are better than through hole types. They are better than SMD types, apparently.

No, copper tape shouldn't make any audible difference for shielding. IMHO, I think the metal case is to stop RFI to go out, not to get in.

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #255 of 1,054
Wow, CNCed aluminum case! That is impressive indeed! And it does make mod things difficult if you want to leave the case untouched.

The CNCed top is untouchable and the bottom aluminum plate, which could easily be replaced for another one, drillable, does not give access to the components.

The only thing I can think of is replacing the case with another one, metal or acrylic. A way should be found to secure the front plate, and of course the back of the new case would have to be drilled for the external connectors.

OTOS, the power supply would be on the same case, as on the DX7s, with the regulators closer to the power pads on each chip, and the output RCAs would not need long wires.

I'm not sure MELF resistors are better than through hole types. They are better than SMD types, apparently.

No, copper tape shouldn't make any audible difference for shielding. IMHO, I think the metal case is to stop RFI to go out, not to get in.
Digressing....
For the copper tapes, the main reason weren't for blocking RFI, but to try to induce a "copper sound", if you may. It was inspired by copper Chord Mojo case mod, AK380Cu, WM1Z, & Border Patrol DAC... which were all made from copper chassis.

During a recent Sony event, I spoke with the engineer that designed the DMP-Z1. He mentioned a funny story about the development of WM1Z's copper chassis. They created this copper prototype as a case study with no real intention to sell it, and passed it to the head of division for his listening pleasure. After listening to it, the boss requested that they produce the copper version and market it since he heard a difference in sound, and liked it a lot.

The mechanical engineering team who worked on the copper chassis went nuts when they heard the news, as copper were so difficult to machine. They pleaded to the design engineers to never send copper-chassis prototypes to the chief again. I thought it was a pretty funny manufacturing story. X^D

So if I were to go with a new D50 enclosure, I may put a piece of copper plate at the bottoms of the case, for poops and giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back