Topping D50
Sep 30, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #167 of 1,054
When Topping A50 going to release......?
Hmm D70 i guess would be on par with dx7s dac

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #168 of 1,054
My take on the D50 is up, 10/10 in my opinion, I cannot fault what it does for the price. I only wish the little knob wasn't as wobbly

http://www.soundperfectionreviews.com/2018/10/review-topping-d50-dsd-dac.html

DSC_1027.JPG

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #169 of 1,054
I've just ordered a Topping D50. I noticed that a new version of the firmware is out dated 07 September 2018, Version 1.02. How do you check the current version of the firmware? I use a Mac and the firmware executables are Windows ones, so if the firmware on my yet-to-be-delivered D50 is already at Version 1.02. I don't need to find a Windows machine to update the firmware (which would entail installing the drivers first).

Also, has anyone had issues using their computer as the source, connected via USB to the Topping D50?

Finally, what have people settled on in terms of powering the unit? I have several spare phone chargers so I guess these should work fine as the power supply for the D50.

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #174 of 1,054
Which power supplies are you guys using with your Topping D50 DAC? I see that the options are to use another USB port on your computer, a phone charger providing 5V or a battery. Realistically, I'll be using an iPhone charger (5V, 1A).

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #175 of 1,054
Which power supplies are you guys using with your Topping D50 DAC? I see that the options are to use another USB port on your computer, a phone charger providing 5V or a battery. Realistically, I'll be using an iPhone charger (5V, 1A).

im using a universal adapter with USB slots directly connect to the AC/wallplug

Oct 5, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #176 of 1,054
I don't yet have a D50, though I'm planning too.

But anyone who already has one should compare a linear external supply, regulated, with any switching supplies, like phone chargers.

The Topping internal supply, unfortunately, is not linear, but DC-DC. Though probably a bit better than a phone charger supply.

There should also be a separate socket for the supply, so you wouldn't have to use the computer DC power when you are connected to it. The way it is you have to, is not your choice.

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #177 of 1,054

USB port from computer is the worst. Normal phone charger is also not good.

I would recommend a Linear power supply with toroidal transformer, such as:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/50VA-HIFI-...483418?hash=item25fd7af3da:g:1hkAAOSwAV5bZS4s

If you want a small one, the iFi iPower 5V version is also good:
https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Supply-International-Travel-Adapters/dp/B01GNNXP0Y

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #178 of 1,054
I received the Topping D50 this evening. My setup Is 2017 iMac 5K --> Topping D50 --> RuarkMR1 Mk2 active speakers. Connections are as follows:

iMac --> Topping D50: a Fisual 30cm USB A-B cable (this is a higher quality and shorter cable than the one supplied with the Topping D50.

Topping D50 --> Ruark MR1 Mk2 active speakers: a cheap twin phone to 3.5mm stereo jack.

Power to the Topping D50 is via a spare USB port on my Mac. I wanted to start off with the most basic setup. I was pleasantly surprised by this DAC. I haven't touched any of the settings yet. I played music via iTunes and Audirnava 3 Plus (in standalone mode and iTunes mode). The BIGGEST issue that I've had going through three previous DACs was interference and ground loop problems. I have no noise and no ground loop issues with the Topping D50. This one's a keeper!

I still have to sort out some volume/clipping issues as I'm a little confused about all of the volume controls involved - iMac sound, MIDI, iTunes, Audirvana. I haven't yet figured out whether the D50 has it's own volume control. At the moment I'm using 3/4 volume settings on all there software apps and then adjusting the volume on the speakers as required.

The sound is far better than I expected.

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #179 of 1,054
I received the Topping D50 this evening. My setup Is 2017 iMac 5K --> Topping D50 --> RuarkMR1 Mk2 active speakers. Connections are as follows:

iMac --> Topping D50: a Fisual 30cm USB A-B cable (this is a higher quality and shorter cable than the one supplied with the Topping D50.

Topping D50 --> Ruark MR1 Mk2 active speakers: a cheap twin phone to 3.5mm stereo jack.

Power to the Topping D50 is via a spare USB port on my Mac. I wanted to start off with the most basic setup. I was pleasantly surprised by this DAC. I haven't touched any of the settings yet. I played music via iTunes and Audirnava 3 Plus (in standalone mode and iTunes mode). The BIGGEST issue that I've had going through three previous DACs was interference and ground loop problems. I have no noise and no ground loop issues with the Topping D50. This one's a keeper!

I still have to sort out some volume/clipping issues as I'm a little confused about all of the volume controls involved - iMac sound, MIDI, iTunes, Audirvana. I haven't yet figured out whether the D50 has it's own volume control. At the moment I'm using 3/4 volume settings on all there software apps and then adjusting the volume on the speakers as required.

The sound is far better than I expected.
Set all volume on your apps to the max -100% and use joystick (right side +/-) to adjust your volume

Oct 5, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #180 of 1,054
Set all volume on your apps to the max -100% and use joystick (right side +/-) to adjust your volume

Thanks, I've done that. The DAC is at 0dB and I'm using the volume control on the speakers. I've set the gain on the speakers to the lowest of three available settings. I'll try setting the gain the speakers to the middle setting and then lower the volume on the DAC.

By the way, the first upgrade in sound quality was free. I used a spare iPhone charger to power the DAC rather than using a spare USB port on the computer. Now the loudest parts of a song are not distorted.

My D50 also appears to have the latest software on it as it wasn't within the range of serial numbers on the Topping site that the current firmware update was designed for. Apparently the current firmware has lots of USB noise improvements and I'm surprised I'm not hearing any noise from the USB source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back