Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #211 of 512
Very interesting thread and thanks to all the very knowledgeable posters. I live in Ireland and currently use the ODAC but need another DAC for my main rig in attic. The topping DAC looks the job.
Will it work with Linux and where can I buy it from a trusted seller?
Thanks again
Ray

you can check you can check on eBay or Amazon I'm not sure if in the UK they sell it on Amazon. But yes it works just fine on Linux.

Aug 20, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #213 of 512
Is D30 Mac friendly for native DSD playback? Is yes, what player is best?

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #215 of 512
1505940939-68.jpg

D30 new version inside (lower of pic.)

Recently, The cs4398 overheated and eventually died. Do you have the same experience? Once the cs4398 has been replaced, it is normal. I am worried that the same phenomenon will happen again.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #218 of 512
So in comparing the D30 to my SMSL M8 I have to say that the one place I noticed that the D30 lacks is in voices.
Voices are recessed vs the M8, I'm not sure if its due to the internal filtering but its very noticable.
I have just been listening to my M8 for the last 5-6 weeks and I put the Topping D30 back on about a half hour ago.
As soon as I got to a song with alot of vocals (especially female Vocals) in my Discover weekly I noticed the vocals were recessed vs what i have been listening to.
I tried to turn the volume up but this doesn't make the vocals be at the same level as the rest of the music, its still recessed.

So I listened to the full song, plugged in the M8 again and am playing the song again now and its definitely recessed.

Now I'm not sure if the M8 has a more forward set of vocals or the D30 is recessed. This is just a comparison of the two.

For scientific purposes everything was the same and the M8 is in "Slow" filter mode. Now the D30 may be more flat or it may be recessed under flat.

But it is worth noting that the reason I took the M8 out of the box in the first place was due to voices being difficult to hear when I was watching the NBA finals on my computer.
I decided to "try" the M8 and basically I have left it since then.

I recently got a O2 Amp to compare to the A30 and they are virtually the same but the A30 has a greater degree of volume control with low power sources.

The headphones I am using are 1More Quad driver, Panasonic HD-10, Beyerdynamic DT770 16Ohm.

I have tested the same song with both amps aswell.

I watch Soccer, WRC, F1 etc on my laptop with USB to the D30, and it sounds great. No voice issues at all.
Movies as well and never noticed a voice issue.
Jazz and Blues vocals are fine as well. Plenty of volume, well balanced.

Eric

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #219 of 512
I watch Soccer, WRC, F1 etc on my laptop with USB to the D30, and it sounds great. No voice issues at all.
Movies as well and never noticed a voice issue.
Jazz and Blues vocals are fine as well. Plenty of volume, well balanced.

Eric

Yes it's interesting because the issue actually went away for me.
I'm not sure what causes it, but I haven't experienced it again.
Although in the last 2 months I've been listening to my DX7 exclusively.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #220 of 512
20170814_081947t.jpg

D30 new version inside (lower of pic.)

Recently, The cs4398 overheated and eventually died. Do you have the same experience? Once the cs4398 has been replaced, it is normal. I am worried that the same phenomenon will happen again.

How did it overheat?

Sep 20, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #225 of 512
D30 is used is 5-7 times, and the total usage time is less than 10 hours.
By the way, on D30, case warmed and no sound came out. I opened the inside of it.
As a result, CS4398 was heating at a significantly higher temperature. In the end, CS4398ZZ died
Sounds like it was just a defective CS4398

Users who are viewing this thread

Back