Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by drteming, Sep 28, 2016.

1. NTK1
    I just noticed that my pc could not find drivers for the XMOS DFU. Do I need drivers? What is this?

2. Jimster480
  3. NTK1
  4. simon740
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  5. Jimster480
    I would say that it is. The design is much better than something simple like the hifime diy

6. simon740
    In the past I have Aune S16 and this dac was for me very very good. A love AKM "sound".
    What kind of sound character it has this D30?

sorry for my bad english

Simon

7. Jimster480
    No sound character, its reference like. Flat

8. simon740
    oh..this is OK.

9. simon740
    Hello,

I decide between Topping D30 and Schiit Modi 2 Uber.
    What do you think?
    Or I need to look for something better?

My other hifi equipment is:
    Jolida JD302 BRC
    WLM La Scala monitor

regards,
    Simon

10. Jimster480
    I would say the D30 for sure.
    It has Xmos USB interface which is much better than the C-Media one that the Modi uses and it has all pops/cracks from DAC chips and interfaces filtered.
    Which I noticed that the Fulla2 did not have and likely the Modi doesn't either, meaning that in quiet tracks you will always hear pops/cracks from the DAC chip confirming data reception.

11. thebkt
    If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend the Modi Multibit. I upgraded from my D30 to one and noticed a big difference between the two. I can't really comment on the Modi Uber though. I did however get a D30/A30 combo instead of a Schiit stack to begin with and wasn't disappointed, my other gear simply outgrew it.

12. Jimster480
    Its funny because I bought the Modi Multibit, decided it sounded horrible and went back to the D30.
    The Modi multibit simply lacks detail in every sense of the word, it sounds like a vintage head unit and maybe people like that sound but idk I really just didn't like it.
    Also the horrible USB interface means that it has constant cracks/pops during any quiet music (which makes classical/jazz suck).

13. K Roland_61
    Hello all, first post here, :)

I'm considering a new DAC, and the Topping D30 appears to be a good choice, around the $100 budget. However, I've been following other DACs too, like the AudioEngine D1.

I like the idea that we can try opamps in the output section of the D30 (like in the first page). I have several of these opamps, including an OPA2228 and LM6172. I'm not sure if an OPA2228 will oscillate in such position of a DAC, but the sound of this opamp is really good (to my ears) when used in other equipments, like in a Kenwood preamp. The AudioEngine D1 comes with a JRC5532, SMD component and you can't easily try opamps, but it has a lot of good reviews for the very good sound.

What do you advise? Thank you so much in advance.

14. Jimster480
    I would say that the D30 is much better than the AudioEngine D1.

In this DAC you have to solder yourself a Socket in order to change the OpAmp.
    But the stock ones sound nice. A 33 slew rate is a bit high though so I am not sure how well it would do.
    Although the D30 sounds really great and punches way above the price category that it is in.

K Roland_61 likes this.