Topping A90
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #1,276 of 1,442
guys I have a question

I paired hifiman arya with A90/D90 and I find it to be harsh in many recordong and sibilant so a lot of people told me it is the amp and other people told me no it is the headphone so I bought sennhieser 6xx and a lot of people said it consider warm and highs turned off in it but I face the same problem with 6xx it is sibilant not forgiving in many vocal recordings iam really confused now I think it is really the amp dac thing.
Arya does lean bright, but it's not sibilant. The 6XX isn't sibilant or bright. A90 is as neutral as amps get, it is neither bright nor sibilant. You could call A90 "analytical", but that's not the same thing as sibilant, typically when people call an amp "analytical" what they mean is it's not warm and rolled off.

What Arya *IS* is exceedingly honest. If you are listening to bright sibilant recordings, that's exactly what Arya is going to show you - she's not going to sugar coat it. Same goes for A90 - it's not going to "soften" a bad recording. Also, it's possible you just prefer a dark sound signature? Some people are especially sensitive to treble and prefer a darker tonality.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,277 of 1,442
Arya does lean bright, but it's not sibilant. The 6XX isn't sibilant or bright. A90 is as neutral as amps get, it is neither bright nor sibilant. You could call A90 "analytical", but that's not the same thing as sibilant, typically when people call an amp "analytical" what they mean is it's not warm and rolled off.

What Arya *IS* is exceedingly honest. If you are listening to bright sibilant recordings, that's exactly what Arya is going to show you - she's not going to sugar coat it. Same goes for A90 - it's not going to "soften" a bad recording. Also, it's possible you just prefer a dark sound signature? Some people are especially sensitive to treble and prefer a darker tonality.
I discovered iam so sensetive to highs and I think it was a mistake to combo arya with A90 because both of them are not forgiving in not well mastered music and I face this problem alot in the modern music like vocal pop music even in losless quality. really I just want to listen to music pleasantly I love arya so much but she is tough lol. arya is wonderful in non vocal music. I like the sound signature in the headphone but the sibilant and percing highs kill this enjoyment. thats why I bought 6xx to complement for vocals but iam so dissapointed that the sibilant is present even in 6xx sssss.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #1,280 of 1,442
I discovered iam so sensetive to highs and I think it was a mistake to combo arya with A90 because both of them are not forgiving in not well mastered music
Find proper measurements for your headphones and apply correct EQ for them. Also, there are online audio tests (or visit a Dr. to do a proper audiometry) that will tell you how your ear linearity goes. Without EQ there's no way to get the proper sound out of your headphones, due to frequency response of your headphones.

Jun 22, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,281 of 1,442
Find proper measurements for your headphones and apply correct EQ for them. Also, there are online audio tests (or visit a Dr. to do a proper audiometry) that will tell you how your ear linearity goes. Without EQ there's no way to get the proper sound out of your headphones, due to frequency response of your headphones.
I used oratatory1990 eq and it enhance it little bit then I decreased -8 in the highs it enhance it so much but the sound become dull and there is little bit of sibilance. really my aim to have 0 sibilance because sometimes I noticed when iam tired and want to listen to music my sensation to ssss become moree.

Jun 22, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,282 of 1,442
I discovered iam so sensetive to highs and I think it was a mistake to combo arya with A90 because both of them are not forgiving in not well mastered music and I face this problem alot in the modern music like vocal pop music even in losless quality. really I just want to listen to music pleasantly I love arya so much but she is tough lol. arya is wonderful in non vocal music. I like the sound signature in the headphone but the sibilant and percing highs kill this enjoyment. thats why I bought 6xx to complement for vocals but iam so dissapointed that the sibilant is present even in 6xx sssss.
Tame the 6-8 KHz region with PEQ. Sibilance should be dampened a lot

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #1,284 of 1,442
will i have a good improvement if i switch from rca connection to full balanced between guastard x16 and topping a90?

Potentially yes, but each of us have unique neurological, physiological and anatomical differences. That's partially why some prefer a balanced setup from source to dac to amp, but there are many who find single-ended more than suitable for their listening. Going with XLR connections between the X16 and the A90 will typically provide a lower noise floor, but whether you'll be able to hear the difference is entirely up to you.

Are you using either the 4.4mm or XLR balanced outputs on the A90? If so, using XLR connections from the X16 may improve your interpretation of the soundstage and presentation, but again, it's really only you that can decide.

Jun 28, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,285 of 1,442
will i have a good improvement if i switch from rca connection to full balanced between guastard x16 and topping a90?
I have a Gustard X26 pro and a Topping A90. EMI noise with SE input to the A90 drove me nuts and I switched to balanced. I got, apart from noise-free music, a richer, more robust sound with apparently more depth at any listening level. I didn't do an A/B test because my RCA and XLR cables are of different models, but at least XLR allowed me peace of mind about uninvited noise, and very good XLR cables are often inexpensive.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,288 of 1,442

Those will definitely work well. I built my own using the same Mogami star-quad cable and Neutrik male and female XLR connectors. My cost on just the raw wire and connectors was about $50 CAD and my time to build them was worth about $50 so a total that's very close to your 66 Euros. Good choice.

Hope you see some improvements once you have them in place!

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #1,289 of 1,442
If you don't have terrible intereference like in a studio environment, you may consider shielded XLR cables with two inner conductors instead of a quad. They will have less noise rejection than a quad but should be enough for most. I have used Mogami 2549 and Grimm TPR. The 2549 is cheaper than 2534 and the Grimm slightly more expensive but which I like much better.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #1,290 of 1,442

From my experience, at most of the time, problem of sibilant rely on the recording quality (different from format quality) rather than the dac/amp we use. Of course headphone also play a big role here too, but great headphone will not mask the sibilance that already there inside the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back