Topping A90
Jul 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,292 of 1,442
Hello, I was interested in acquiring this amplifier to use it with an Audeze lcd 2 fazor, do you think it is a good option for a magnetoplanar? Thanks
I don't have a LCD2, but my HE560 planars are driven quite well. I suspect the LCD2 would be similar but you'll only know once you hear the combo.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,293 of 1,442
Hello, I was interested in acquiring this amplifier to use it with an Audeze lcd 2 fazor, do you think it is a good option for a magnetoplanar? Thanks
I am using the A90 (feed from Hugo2) with my lcd-x with pleasing result.

Aug 3, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #1,295 of 1,442
Does anyone here using hugo2 to feed A90? I did some comparison between direct out from hugo2 versus hugo2 feeding A90. While the A90 added slightest warmth and bloom at the lower end, and the vocal has slight 'echo' effect, the hugo2 direct out is cleaner and more transparent.

I am using zmf verite closed, lcd-x and hd650 to do the comparison. Perhaps they are not that difficult to drive which doesnt take advantage of a90, or it is just that hugo2 amp section is actually very capable.

Would like to hear some feedback / experience if there's anyone here using the same setup, thanks!

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,296 of 1,442
Does anyone here using hugo2 to feed A90? I did some comparison between direct out from hugo2 versus hugo2 feeding A90. While the A90 added slightest warmth and bloom at the lower end, and the vocal has slight 'echo' effect, the hugo2 direct out is cleaner and more transparent.

I am using zmf verite closed, lcd-x and hd650 to do the comparison. Perhaps they are not that difficult to drive which doesnt take advantage of a90, or it is just that hugo2 amp section is actually very capable.

Would like to hear some feedback / experience if there's anyone here using the same setup, thanks!

i'm exactly using like your set up right now (Hugo 2 and A90). Hugo 2 basically is a DAC only with headphone out (no amplification board), so any addition to amp indeed will decrease the transparency (by little) because there are more parts involved. So we need to calculate the advantages to cover up the loss. Also happening to other people who use Chord TT2/Dave and connect to high end amps.

In my case, using Diana Phi, direct from chord hugo 2 seems more shouty at high volume, more compress soundstage (less depth, height, width), lack of deep bass, and a little smeared sounding.

I don't know whether you cable believer or not, but a good rca cable and power cable won't hurt, especially to increase the transparency.

Speaking of Verite, there are times when I prefer my VO direct from Hugo 2 rather than with wells audio milo, yeah they synergise that well.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,297 of 1,442
i'm exactly using like your set up right now (Hugo 2 and A90). Hugo 2 basically is a DAC only with headphone out (no amplification board), so any addition to amp indeed will decrease the transparency (by little) because there are more parts involved. So we need to calculate the advantages to cover up the loss. Also happening to other people who use Chord TT2/Dave and connect to high end amps.

In my case, using Diana Phi, direct from chord hugo 2 seems more shouty at high volume, more compress soundstage (less depth, height, width), lack of deep bass, and a little smeared sounding.

I don't know whether you cable believer or not, but a good rca cable and power cable won't hurt, especially to increase the transparency.

Speaking of Verite, there are times when I prefer my VO direct from Hugo 2 rather than with wells audio milo, yeah they synergise that well.
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. Guess the key is still synergy between different gears and personal preference. I do prefer my VC out from A90 but LCD-X direct out from hugo2. Nevertheless A90 is indeed punching well above its value. Btw you have some lovely gears!

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #1,298 of 1,442
Hey thanks for sharing your experience. Guess the key is still synergy between different gears and personal preference. I do prefer my VC out from A90 but LCD-X direct out from hugo2. Nevertheless A90 is indeed punching well above its value. Btw you have some lovely gears!

Thanks! Currently I'm still on rabbit hole problem to decide which amps to keep, but dare I say, A90 fight back crazily good to any other amps (and A90 being the cheapest in price here).

A30pro also seems promising, as it's a single ended amp, thus, only using 1 board of amplification instead of 4 pcs in A90. Less part = more transparency (I hope). Will do the comparison tomorrow.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #1,299 of 1,442
So i think it would be fair if I also post my finding about Topping A90 and Singxer SA-1 here (Copas from Signxer thread):

Apologize to everyone who already read my impression about Singxer and topping A90 before. Due to software issue (different settings) my previous opinion was simply invalid.

After spent almost 2 hours comparing them again side by side today (with Diana Phi and Focal Clear MG), here are my conclusion:
- Singxer offer more energy, and musical feel through all spectrum. Trble has more bite, vocal is a little more upfront, with punchier low frequency. If I draw a frequency graph, Singxer (very) slight more W-Shape where A90 is more linear. Both amp definitely still consider as neutral though, and measurement show both of them actually dead flat.
- Bass, yes Singxer offer fuller mid bass, and more rumble to lowest sub bass note as well

- I think I prefer Singxer now, as technical wise this amp offer a little (no, not much) better resolution in term of micro detail, black background and accuracy imaging of each notes, easier to notice with percussion instrument. Singxer also perform slight better soundstage width, depth and especially height.
- A90 offer more linear sound, more bland, this could be good/bad thing based on synergy and preference.

- Vocal is beautiful in Singxer, I have no idea how the designer able to deliver flat frequency response with crazy SNR number, but vocal seems melodius, smooth, with open airy feeling. A90 is more laidback, with less air in this regard.
- Still, A90 wins in term of volume pot quality, really good at low volume. At morning usually my listening volume around 45-50db.
- A90 is cheaper in price, with better layout. Gain control on Singxer that located at the bottom is annoying when someone have hard and easy to drive headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,300 of 1,442
Anyone considering an upgrade (solid state), and if so, what are you looking at?

Aug 26, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,301 of 1,442
After owning the A90+D90 for a while, it's unfortunately time for me to say goodbye to the A90. Not because it's not good; it is. Just because I now definitely prefer single ended, class A amplification for my HD800 & T1 headphones.

The A90 is a very good product. My only criticism is that I found its RCA preamp output was a bit 'hissy'. I ended up using the D90'S digital volume control section, which was disappointing.
Why did you opt for a single ended amplification?

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,304 of 1,442
So I have had my eye on this amp and I indeed have it my shopping cart. The only thing that has me on the fence are a couple of reviews stating the THX 789 may be smoother sounding. I do like that resolved smoothness the 789 can do at times. Any thoughts on this from the owners here?

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #1,305 of 1,442
So I have had my eye on this amp and I indeed have it my shopping cart. The only thing that has me on the fence are a couple of reviews stating the THX 789 may be smoother sounding. I do like that resolved smoothness the 789 can do at times. Any thoughts on this from the owners here?
To me the THX 789/887 sounded like nothing. Like, you just hear the music but is total background/laid-back/little impact or involvement kind of sound. Which is great for a work set-up or something I guess, but I eventually sold my THX amp. L30/A90 don't suffer from this (as much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back