Topping A90 Discrete aka A90D
Jun 21, 2022 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 805

carlcamper

100+ Head-Fier
Product Pages:
https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/852442.html

https://apos.audio/products/topping-a90-headphone-amp?variant=42910474371308

Announcement:
https://www.facebook.com/topping2008/photos/a.2495605267116984/5590415587635921/

Measurement:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...90-discrete-review-headphone-amp-preamp.35114

Firmware Updates:
V2.4 - https://www.topping.audio/newsinfo/686950.html (no need to update to V2.3 first)
V2.3 - https://www.topping.audio/newsinfo/663543.html

Youtube Reviews:

Ordered one, can't wait!

Edit: Pic of my unit:
20220714_155906.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 805
Hopefully Topping has learned from the design flaws of the A90, and doesn't build in such aggressive DC-protection again, which will make the device unusable, for people who like to listen very loud, and have headphones that need a lot of power...

Jun 22, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 805
I guess this amp produce really nice sine waves. I enjoy listening to perfectly measured sine waves. Very nice and clean mono tone. I wonder how much better are the sound of sine waves produced by the A90 discrete compared to my Original A90 that is collecting dust on the shelf.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 805
I guess this amp produce really nice sine waves. I enjoy listening to perfectly measured sine waves rather than music. Very nice and clean mono tone. I wonder how much better are the sound of sine waves produced by the A90 discrete compared to my Original A90 that is collecting dust on the shelf.
Then you must be excited that this amp just got the objectivist stamp of approval from Amir at ASR. (It overcame his fears that Topping built a discrete amp "just to appease audiophiles." What a fella.) I may buy one anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 805
I guess this amp produce really nice sine waves. I enjoy listening to perfectly measured sine waves rather than music. Very nice and clean mono tone. I wonder how much better are the sound of sine waves produced by the A90 discrete compared to my Original A90 that is collecting dust on the shelf.
Nice delusions. Just buy whatever toy that is popular today and be the part of crowd!
Also, must flex with your expensive gear cause expensive gear= better enginnering!
Say Whatever that makes you sleep well at night.

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 805
How much better would 119 SINAD (THD+N) from a A90 Discrete sound better than my Topping A90 with 120 SINAD (THD+N)? Would it have any audible difference? Hope someone could do a side by side comparison with matching volume. Thanks

Jun 24, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #9 of 805
I'm also switching from A90 to A90D. I got approved to return my A90 for store credit from Headphones.com as I'm still within the 365 days return window. Just waiting for the A90D to be in stock. They are already taking pre orders but I don't want to be without headphone amp for 2 or 3 weeks.

Jun 27, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #10 of 805
I guess this amp produce really nice sine waves. I enjoy listening to perfectly measured sine waves. Very nice and clean mono tone. I wonder how much better are the sound of sine waves produced by the A90 discrete compared to my Original A90 that is collecting dust on the shelf.
If I could downvote this post I would (it's not personal, it's the snark). For me, the main drawbacks of the original were it's sterile sound quality, it's flat-staging from the IC opamp based topology, and the "loose and mushy" volume pot. I'm quite glad that they are trying to upgrade the original by going discrete. Though I doubt I'll buy one (I bought a great balanced Class A discrete amp that replaced the original), I'm glad that others will be able to benefit from an improved model.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 805
If I could downvote this post I would (it's not personal, it's the snark). For me, the main drawbacks of the original were it's sterile sound quality, it's flat-staging from the IC opamp based topology, and the "loose and mushy" volume pot. I'm quite glad that they are trying to upgrade the original by going discrete. Though I doubt I'll buy one (I bought a great balanced Class A discrete amp that replaced the original), I'm glad that others will be able to benefit from an improved model.

I am really happy to buy any new amp including the A90 discrete, I can purchase it in a heartbeat without a sweat. But how much an upgrade from the original A90 that measures perfectly and even better than the A90 Discrete? Topping amps cost like nothing compared to what I own, could easily buy it blinded.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #12 of 805
But how much an upgrade from the original A90 that measures perfectly and even better than the A90 Discrete?
Definitely sound quality we heard not 100% related to the measurement, especially when the measurement results between them are almost the same.

All topping amp measure well, similar to each other, yet, they all sound different.

I'm not fans of original A90, but like Singxer so much. A90 Discrete could be the real champ, but time will tell.

Jun 27, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #13 of 805
But DMS said, basically the entire Topping Amp lineup sounded the same. All of them measure perfectly and sounded the same and therefore tired of reviewing them because whichever one DMS pickup, they sounded the same. Would it be the same case for the Topping A90 Discrete?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 805
IMG_20220627_214504.jpg

I am a legit owner of Topping's gears and other well-measureing amps. Really would like to know, what improvements have been made to the Topping A90 Discrete. Or is it a simple bi-annual refresh in the lineup for the sake of releasing a product as a product cycle of the original A90 ended?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 805
But DMS said, basically the entire Topping Amp lineup sounded the same. All of them measure perfectly and sounded the same and therefore tired of reviewing them because whichever one DMS pickup, they sounded the same. Would it be the same case for the Topping A90 Discrete?

Because they do sound the same. The same thing has been said by Topping's designer who designed all their latest amps. L30 sounds 100% the same as the A90 SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back