Topgear back!
Jan 29, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #46 of 171
you know, the show's really good--most entertaining car show i've ever seen. and the best part is always when they do the final track time and post the numbers... it's nice to know how cars rate realistically (though it doesn't seem like they try very hard to compare during like-conditions.) BUT........ man, the old dude (dunno his name) has some serious prejudices against American cars. and sometimes that really kills the show. they had a vette on before, and the track time beated out a bunch of much more expensive cars, but he still has the balls to put it down afterwards. what a loser.

oh, and that silly drag race they did with the vette and others...... that thing has got to be rigged. i mean, it's one thing to be prejudiced in your opinions, but when you go out of your way to rig what's supposed to be an accurate representation of performance, that's just not even moral.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #47 of 171
The Old Dude? Jeremy Clarkson perhaps?

jeremy%20clarkson.jpg

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #49 of 171
where can i find this show in the USA? discovery channel? science channel? BBCWorld? i've been surfing around with no luck!

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #50 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that guy. i mean, if you know one of their so called comparison tests was bogus, how could you trust any of their opinions?

Which test?

I've seen most of the shows from all over the different series and they constantly point out how some cars don't have the speed that they expect or that others are actually faster then the stats would seem to state (the brand new episode is a case in point where a Jag was easily keeping up with a, technically, faster Aston-Martin)

And as for Clarksons viewpoint... it's the fact that he's quite willing to say exactly what he thinks that makes the show refreshing in my view.

And if you really think he hates American cars - well he's the one who went out and brought a Ford GT as he thinks the thing is so amazing and brilliant (and, in his view, the best supercar around)

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #51 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where can i find this show in the USA? discovery channel? science channel? BBCWorld? i've been surfing around with no luck!

I have the episode, give me a little time and I shall upload it for people.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #52 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which test?

I've seen most of the shows from all over the different series and they constantly point out how some cars don't have the speed that they expect or that others are actually faster then the stats would seem to state (the brand new episode is a case in point where a Jag was easily keeping up with a, technically, faster Aston-Martin)

And as for Clarksons viewpoint... it's the fact that he's quite willing to say exactly what he thinks that makes the show refreshing in my view.

And if you really think he hates American cars - well he's the one who went out and brought a Ford GT as he thinks the thing is so amazing and brilliant (and, in his view, the best supercar around)

there was one episode on the new c6 corvette (non-z06). in the middle of the show, they had a drag race between it and 3 other cars, including a nsx. maybe a porsche, but i forgot. but the point is, the vette should have had no problems wasting at least 2 of the other cars (i didn't know anything about the 3rd... tvr or something). the power to weight ratio of the vette just was not comparable to the other 2. yet, it came in 3rd!? if you can find that episode, you'll see what i mean... it was a joke.

now, i'm no vette freak... to be honest, it is built rather badly (though no worse than porsche or ferrari). but performance-wise, if they're gonna bag on it, at least do it justice with a fair race!

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #53 of 171
TVRs Rock, especially the TVR Cerbera Speed 12 Supercar
very_evil_smiley.gif

07.jpg

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #54 of 171
I think I remember that episode. I don't know the specs of the different cars so I can't comment on how realistic the "race" was.

Personally the show isn't about how good they are at testing these cars against one another anyway (but I would want them to get that right - if your going to do a test at least make them comparable and fair) To me it's more about showing the cars themselves, I don't ever expect to have the cash to buy one and even if I did I don't have a test track where I can just race them to really see what they are capable of.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #55 of 171
I've just uploaded the latest (9x01) Top Gear episode, download all the files and then UnRAR the episode using WinRAR or an application that's compatible with RAR files.

Grab Episode 9x01 Here

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #56 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, that guy. i mean, if you know one of their so called comparison tests was bogus, how could you trust any of their opinions?

Jeremy Clarkson has driven hundreds of supercars, probably more than we can ever dream of. When you've had this much experience with them, you sort of become an authority on them. I'd say just to listen to his opinion on how the car is and not how it looks. (He thinks that Alfa Romeo looks good
tongue.gif
)

Or if you want to be bored to tears watch an American motoring show. Usually you're going to see a fat guy with a microphone reading the brochure and driving like a grandmother down a country road. I wish America could do something like Top Gear, but every single one I've seen has been completely incompetent.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #57 of 171
YES!!! Thanks a bunch! At 750MB I'll have to download it little by little (constrained bandwidth) but I'm sure it'll be worth it. What about using divx? That would cut the size down by half almost.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #58 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeremy Clarkson has driven hundreds of supercars, probably more than we can ever dream of. When you've had this much experience with them, you sort of become an authority on them. I'd say just to listen to his opinion on how the car is and not how it looks. (He thinks that Alfa Romeo looks good
tongue.gif
)

Or if you want to be bored to tears watch an American motoring show. Usually you're going to see a fat guy with a microphone reading the brochure and driving like a grandmother down a country road. I wish America could do something like Top Gear, but every single one I've seen has been completely incompetent.

You must remember that even Top Gear was in a bit of a rut back in the day, if one would call it that, until the BBC decided to hire this Jeremy Clarkson chap to run the show. Granted I was just as much a fan of TG before Clarkson, but the current style and appeal of the show is very much a result of the three guys doing their thing, in addition to Clarkson doing his brash generalising at every moment
biggrin.gif
. However I do remember watching a show on speed channel that was quite competent, if not boring, when compared to Top Gear.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #59 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was a nice episode. Not great but still good one. Nice to see Hammond back. I am sure Jeremy will start giving him a rough time later in this season.
biggrin.gif

You know sooner or later Clarkson is going to make a joke about his white teeth and how he might chipped one of them in the crash.
tongue.gif

As for comments about "this old guy" and doesn't know what he's talking about. He's been a jouralist for decades, car manufacturers sents himm cars all the time for him to review (http://www.driving.timesonline.co.uk...,12529,00.html link here, he writes for the times as well as doing Top Gear). So unless you are some kind of test drive freak, I doubt many people on this planet have driven as many cars (from minis to Supercars) than he has.

p.s. He doesn't actually hate all US cars, he does drive a Ford GT, he could've bought a Porche Carrera GT but he didn't. And As for that Corvette, he liked it too. http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...235587,00.html

The thing is, Europe manufacturers a LOT more cars to the same quality as the corvette. Although the Vett is good, it's not special, it might be special when compared to all other US cars, not when against european/Japanese counterparts.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #60 of 171
Clarkson bought the Ford GT not once, but twice. He got rid of his first one because it was a POS with a bunch of little problems that basically kept it in its parking space, as I remember the story. Then he regretted it and bought it again.

Yeah, the guy's just a xenophobe, has no clue what he's talking about and no experience whatsoever.
wink.gif

Yeah, uhhuh, he could pwn us all, and knows it.
cool.gif

Just once I'd like to see Hammond and May beat him in one of those races.
wink.gif

Speaking of
cool.gif
- did we visit the Cool Wall this episode?

I'm no gearhead, but I don't think you have to be, to enjoy driving. If you enjoy driving, then you'll understand how they do their reviews, no problem. They describe what the car feels like without me having to be a gearhead and without me having to get in it.

/is more on the Hamster's side of cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back