Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jun 15, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #317 of 562
So of course this will differ from user to user, but I bought a kill-a-watt to find out the wattage that my PC was using. Since I run a 1080Ti I was worried that wattage usage would be over what my 91095-32 can give out. Luckily it only peaked just under 400W so I decided to take my DAC off the ISO and put my PC and Iso Regen on it and while the difference is hard to describe being that my DAC kind of took a hit on sharing the outlet with my tube amp, there was another clarity and dynamic boost with my PC and IR on the topaz. Now I'm VERY curious to see how Topaz'ing my PC along with a Topaz'd DAC line would sound... Just need to keep my eyes out for a good deal!

For sizing transformers theres a general rule that you take your max load and divide by .6. So if your max load is 1000w you would want to use the 1800va transformers.

Interesting though with the pc on the transformer. 2 questions(sry if youve said previously):
1 whats powering the iso regen?
2 is the iso regens isolation set to 1(isolation on) or on(isolation off)?

Jun 15, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #318 of 562
This is what I used when I "restored" the Topaz seen in the first post of this thread:

Fuse Holder: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EUF6JDS

20A 250V Fuses: https://www.amazon.com/Divine-Lighting-Slow-Blow-Ceramic-MDA20A/dp/B004I36FJA

Or if you prefer:
15A 250V Fuses: https://www.amazon.com/Qty-Slow-Blow-Ceramic-MDA15A-MDA15/dp/B004I32K2Q

I believe the smaller transformers(500va and under) need smaller fuses, they can catch fire if they're hit with 15 amps.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #321 of 562
@Zenvota At the moment the IR is being powered form a teradak dc-30w LPS. But my PPA V2 usb card is also being powered by that same LPS via split y adapter cable. On the way I have another teradak so I can seperate the IR from the PPA.

VERY excited to hear the SQ benefit.

Jun 15, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #322 of 562
@Zenvota At the moment the IR is being powered form a teradak dc-30w LPS. But my PPA V2 usb card is also being powered by that same LPS via split y adapter cable. On the way I have another teradak so I can seperate the IR from the PPA.

VERY excited to hear the SQ benefit.
oo hmm and the iso regens isolation is on?

Jun 15, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #324 of 562
It's in the 1 position. Is that on?
yes. maybe experiment with turning it off too since that and the usb card are on the same psu, granted since the pc is on the topaz and the dac isn't idk what will happen. Complicated, Sir.

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #325 of 562
No audible difference with it on or off, and this could be because of the PPA V2 doing work? Not sure.

Concerning the Topaz I'm reeeeally considering replacing the default brown receptacle (hubbell?) with an Oyaide R1!

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #326 of 562
No audible difference with it on or off, and this could be because of the PPA V2 doing work? Not sure.
I have a dac/headamp unit on a topaz and a pc isnt, the iso regen is on an ultracap lps with the ground shunted smps, and turning off the isolation turns crystal clear imaging into a hazy mess xD

Concerning the Topaz I'm reeeeally considering replacing the default brown receptacle (hubbell?) with an Oyaide R1!

Its probably a good idea to replace plugs and outlets on these old things. I have a few old units I plan on doing that with. Look at this 91001-42, thats probably the original oil capacitor from 1990... I should probably take that out lol

20190531_142900.jpg

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #327 of 562
Oil capacitor!? I see mine has one too, ill take a picture tomorrow.

As long as replacement is as easy as replacing that capacitor and the new receptacle has the same posts then I'm ordering one for sure.

Btw, I was wondering if there is any level of surge suppression in these topaz rigs. If there is then that would give me more reason to seek out the 91001-32 for my PC xD

Jun 16, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #328 of 562
Btw, I was wondering if there is any level of surge suppression in these topaz rigs. If there is then that would give me more reason to seek out the 91001-32 for my PC xD

Yup good movless surge suppression, can reduce a 5kv spike to .05v or something like that. However, they dont supress traverse spikes(hot to neutral). But that is half of the reason for using these isolation transformers, the surge suppression, with filterless power distribution after the transformer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back