Topaz Low-Capacitance Isolation Transformers - for Affordably Clean Power
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #287 of 562
There's unfortunately not a single label on this unit (inside or out) that gives the voltage information, or any useful technical info at all save for the labels I already posted (that very basic version of the wiring diagram, and the unit's model number). I'm going to have to use a multimeter to test this, so I just ordered a new one (old one is lost).

I only know the weight coincides with 1.8 kva models (which mainly seem to be 120v for the prewired versions and 120/240v for hardwired, but that's for the 31 and 32 lines and a few others I've seen on eBay with the 11 line but this is a 50 line unit and I've never seen another in the 50 line), and that trying to find information on the unit is quite difficult as Topaz is no longer and MGE sends you to another company in Eaton who is of no help.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #288 of 562
Hmm, so if I measure resistance(the ohm symbol at 2m) and put the probes together I get .000, ground to case(the center unpainted iron part?) I get .000, but the secondary hot or neutral to case or ground I get no reading.

I get all the same results when I measure mine.

Jun 1, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #289 of 562
I get all the same results when I measure mine.

oh ok good XD

I've been thinking about putting my AV receiver(with a second smaller 2channel amp for 2 height channels and 1 subwoofer) and projector on ultra isolators as well. I just picked up a 91001-42(for the avr) and 91095-32(for the projector). Finally getting better cables(hdmi fiber hybrids) and the ultra isolator should make a big difference in the projectors image, I'm not sure what to expect from the AVR though as it's already got a giant smps and alot of processing going on, hopefully it'll do what you expect it to and clean up the sound a bit.

I'm not sure if I should put the computer on the isolator as well, that probably pulls a good 200-300w when loaded. The AVR probably 150-250 on the more intense action scenes, I'd be surprised if the amp for the 2 height channels pulled more than 50, and the subwoofer could probably spike to 100-200, but it's a small room and I usually listen at about 15-20db below reference.

These things are pretty heavily shielded, but has anyone measured em fields from around the transformer? I sit fairly close to them.

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #290 of 562
Well, I have some good news. I decided just to try to hard wire a disposable 12 gauge cable into the unit and it works. Tested it with a few simple things like old Radioshack power strips first and then tried my Transparent Reference Isolator in it and then something else plugged into the Transparent and it all works. I still don't know anything else about the unit, but thankfully it's not incompatible with 120 volt systems. Still going to wait on the multimeter before trying anything else. Hopefully I can sell the adapter on eBay (it has really nice Pass and Seymour hospital grade connectors too).

Jun 2, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #291 of 562
Well, I have some good news. I decided just to try to hard wire a disposable 12 gauge cable into the unit and it works. Tested it with a few simple things like old Radioshack power strips first and then tried my Transparent Reference Isolator in it and then something else plugged into the Transparent and it all works. I still don't know anything else about the unit, but thankfully it's not incompatible with 120 volt systems. Still going to wait on the multimeter before trying anything else. Hopefully I can sell the adapter on eBay (it has really nice Pass and Seymour hospital grade connectors too).

So you need 120v? it could be a 120in 120out unit. Looking at it I don't think it was wired as balanced, from left to right is hot, neutral, shield, with neutral and shield jumpered, and then the ground on the chassis.

Jun 2, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #292 of 562
oh ok good XD

I've been thinking about putting my AV receiver(with a second smaller 2channel amp for 2 height channels and 1 subwoofer) and projector on ultra isolators as well. I just picked up a 91001-42(for the avr) and 91095-32(for the projector). Finally getting better cables(hdmi fiber hybrids) and the ultra isolator should make a big difference in the projectors image, I'm not sure what to expect from the AVR though as it's already got a giant smps and alot of processing going on, hopefully it'll do what you expect it to and clean up the sound a bit.

I'm not sure if I should put the computer on the isolator as well, that probably pulls a good 200-300w when loaded. The AVR probably 150-250 on the more intense action scenes, I'd be surprised if the amp for the 2 height channels pulled more than 50, and the subwoofer could probably spike to 100-200, but it's a small room and I usually listen at about 15-20db below reference.

These things are pretty heavily shielded, but has anyone measured em fields from around the transformer? I sit fairly close to them.

I don’t recall the exact quote but I believe John Swenson said electronics no closer than a few feet away would be fine. Assuming electronics are more sensitive than people, then as long as you aren’t sitting on it then you should be fine. That’s my theory at least. Mine are hidden behind my record shelf to help mask the transformer buzz. That puts them about 8 ft away from my listening position.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #293 of 562
ok lemme try n phrase this a lil better, asked on ca/as too but just in case some people don't go there I'll post here too.

Im planning on adding Topaz ultra isolators to my AVR and projector, and as well breaking leakage loops between the htpc, avr, and projector

Current setup:
Outlet 1:
HTPC
AVR
Subwoofer 1
2 channel amplifier for 2 height channels

Outlet 2:
Projector
Subwoofer 2

The AVR, subwoofer 1, and 2ch amplifier on a 91001-42 topaz ultra isolator.

The projector on a 91095-32. Perhaps use a Jensen isomax isolator for subwoofer 2.

-Trying to figure out what exactly to try for hdmi. I can't find a full fiber cable, they're all hybrids, fiber for the data and copper for 5v ground edid etc.

So I was considering the hdmi to ethernet convertors. They mention power over cable(POC) to power the receiver, although I believe it can be powered by its own supply as well. Not sure if that will still have a leakage loop?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...MI2ayg-Pa54gIVFo_ICh1dcgd2EAQYASABEgK97fD_BwE

For ethernet the shield needs to be unconnected to break the leakage loop. Not aure if I'd have to make your own cable or if theres one i can buy.

I would also power the receiver and transmitter with an hdmi connection to the AVR with a linear power supply and connected to the same topaz as the avr.

-Anyone have any suggestions for breaking leakage loops over hdmi?

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #294 of 562
Here are some EMF measurements, but the opinions as to what levels create a health hazard are as varied as our tastes in music, so I will leave that to each reader to research on his own.

I will offer my opinion that this 500vA Topaz and the APC voltage regulator are "safe" even at 18 inches, at least when supplying power to my Oppo Sonica DAC and Metrum Acoustics Aurix (headphone amp).

Really, my headphones are a much greater cause for concern, thanks to their EMF emissions and close proximity to the brain. For those who are or want to be EMF "aware," I recommend the $50 Meterk MK54 for measuring MF and EF. With the exception of streaming sources, you don't have to worry about measuring RF from audio gear, but the EMFields Acousticom 2 is $180.

Please don't ask me to report my headphone measurements. :wink:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Mike

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #295 of 562
Here are some EMF measurements, but the opinions as to what levels create a health hazard are as varied as our tastes in music, so I will leave that to each reader to research on his own.

I will offer my opinion that this 500vA Topaz and the APC voltage regular are "safe" even at 18 inches, at least when supplying power to my Oppo Sonica DAC and Metrum Acoustics Aurix (headphone amp).

Really, my headphones are a much greater cause for concern, thanks to their EMF emissions and close proximity to the brain. For those who are or want to be EMF "aware," I recommend the $50 Metrek MK54 for measuring MF and EF. With the exception of streaming sources, you don't have to worry about measuring RF from audio gear, but the Acoustimeter 2 is $180.

Please don't ask me to report my headphone measurements.

Mike

O awesome dude thank you.

Do you have measurements of anything else for comparison? like an av receiver or something with a large transformer in it but just plugged straight into the wall, or some power cables not plugged into the topaz.

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #296 of 562
heres your standard 60w switching supply

dell smps.jpg

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #297 of 562
I really don't want to start reporting measurements for anything else, especially since field strength varies greatly with brand, not to mention proximity, but several appliances/devices in our home are far "hotter" at 18 inches than the Topaz transformer and APC regulator (I.e. Cordless phones, microwave ovens, induction stovetop, etc.). The Topaz is way down at the bottom of the list, given that RF emissions are of the greatest concern, then electrical, then magnetic. The Topaz and APC are putting out effectively nothing but magnetic field energy and according to some of the many published standards is perfectly safe (at sufficient distance and limited duration.)

This topic is very deep and worthy of a thread unto itself, but headphone enthusiasts and manufacturers alike might not want us to dig too deeply. :wink:. There are plenty of dedicated forums out there, already.

See: https://www.powerwatch.org.uk

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #298 of 562
Has anyone had any experience using one of these Topaz' with just their desktop PC connected to it? I would imagine there are some benefits but I have no idea. Being that the PSU in these desktops are SMPS.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #299 of 562
Has anyone had any experience using one of these Topaz' with just their desktop PC connected to it? I would imagine there are some benefits but I have no idea. Being that the PSU in these desktops are SMPS.

Ive wondered about that as well, at least for the movless surge protection thats a good enough reason. How noise would effect those circuits I have no idean could result in lower error correction, lower heat, better efficiency, etc.

Pretty sure I've read that reducing common mode noise is of great benefit to switching supplies.

For audio though I've noticed very audible differences with galvanic isolation between the pc and dac, either optical or high speed usb. Which is why I'm keen on trying it with my AVR, the same negative qualities(sibilance and boomyness/boxyness in vocals) I notice when using my surround system are alleviated when adding an iso regen and topaz to a dac/headamp unit.

Jun 2, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #300 of 562
I love the isoregen. Made a nice clear difference in audio and it seems to have crystalized the audio output in a way that makes everything more transparent.

Very soon I'll be buying an audience ar2p and adding into my system. Where it will go is the real case. I'm not sure how it will affect the SQ with the Topaz in the line, but I'm first thinking of adding it to the wall first and then testing it plugged directly into the Topaz. Should be fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back