Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion
Mar 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM Post #241 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok Joe,you win,I can't attack the ck10 FOTM nor do you accept my point of view,and by the way you didn't answer my questions in the post and you missed most of it.Enjoy updating the table with what you only prefer and hear.
P.S:I won't respond to this thread again.

This is not a contest, this is a gathering of data. Have you read other people's comments? What do they say (all of them, not just select few)? And I am also using data gathered from other threads. Sorry if you feel this is a contest or competition, it is not. I am working on my comparison review of the Copper, which includes both the CK10 and FX500, so you will be able to know more about my specific thoughts on the FX500 (if you care to read). But, all that really matters for this thread is what the majority says!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright guys am willing to learn what is meant by X headphone making Y headphone sound veiled in comparison. For instance I do notice a slight bump in clarity when I switch from my IE8 to say a TF10 or CK10 directly. However, to say that the IE8 sound veiled in comparison, am not sure I'll say so. Anyone care to comment? By the way we're on topic I hope. We're talking about "top tier" universals here, thanks!

Yes, clarity. How easy is it to hear the details? The IE8 does have the details, they are just hidden under a veil (without EQ), but if I pay attention, I can hear them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@average_joe

Top-Tier: FX500, TF10

Near-Top: SE530 (treble rolloff, too-polite bass), IE8 (ginormous midbass, needs more instrument detail)

No. In addition to the final sound quality, I'll also consider the amount time I spend squinting at my equalizer to get there. This is my beef with the Golds; great sounding phones, but it was such a slog bringing the sound out that when they started sounding good, I was physically startled.

Thank you for your vote...I will add it to the chart when I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@average_joe: I disagree that SE530 has forward mids. Most Westones, such as UM1, UM2, UM3X and ES3X have forward mids, as well as the Ortofon e-Q7, but SE530 doesn't - it is quite neutral IMO. The mids may seem forward however because the treble is a bit recessed and also because the bass is very fit dependent and may sound weak and or sloppy with a poor fit. I found the sound on SE530 very, very fit dependent at least for my ears - more so than any other IEM I tried.

As of right now, I see this as not the norm. Who else agrees?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My apologies for the responses in bold but I don't have a knack for multi-quoting.

Thanks, noted!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KramitDfrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it'd have to tie in with this forum - same user accounts, so you know who's opinion you're reading. Something done in conjunction with, not competing against this site would be perfect.

We should talk about this via PM or email...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will make a secondary note. As these earphones get better and better, it becomes increasingly important to have a very clean source and clean AND adequate power to drive them. Even earphones with high sensitivity and low ohm loads still benefit from more wattage. I know some of you have complained some about poor bass, incoherence, lack of sound stage perception, harsh sound, etc. A lot of this has to do with the quality of the information you're putting into the earphone.

I am running FLAC and decent DACs with good portable amps. But if your average consumer spends $400 on an IEM, it should sound good with a DAP, as most people don't carry around amps. I have not actually ever seen one in public (other than meets and mine). And some benefit more than others from amping, but you can't tell everyone that buys a top-tier universal to also get an amp.

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #242 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if your average consumer spends $400 on an IEM, it should sound good with a DAP, as most people don't carry around amps. I have not actually ever seen one in public (other than meets and mine). And some benefit more than others from amping, but you can't tell everyone that buys a top-tier universal to also get an amp.

I agree.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #243 of 785
For:
TF10 (Once cable is swapped its very natural and detailed)
ER4S/P (Very detailed and balanced across the whole range)

Against:
SE530 (Close to no treble)
IE8 (Not much detail, poor speed compare to many BA)

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #244 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For:

Which cable do you have for your Triple.Fi's?

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #245 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of right now, I see this as not the norm. Who else agrees?

Ok, how do you define forward mids? I think of forward mids as aggressive, in-your-face type. I don't think SE530 has aggressive mids - not at all. But like I said, they may seem prominent because the bass and treble may suffer due to poor fit.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #246 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ra97or, I'm seconding this question, I'm curious to know as well.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #247 of 785
Joe, please add me as supporting the eq7 as top tier, and remove me from the MD's
I love the MD's but I can't call it the equal of the orto's Hence everyting else I have is considered near top tier in my ears. I'm also waiting to see what cables Ra97oR is using on the triples, before I buy the null.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #249 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am against the GR8's.

I've never heard it and don't think too many in here have heard it so can you explain why not? It would be nice to know what weaknesses they have.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #250 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ra97or, I'm seconding this question, I'm curious to know as well.

elnero: Ultimate Ears triple.fi 10 (Null Audio Enyo Silver + Sony Hybrids)

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #251 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard it and don't think too many in here have heard it so can you explain why not? It would be nice to know what weaknesses they have.

From memory, like ortofons but with less coherent highs, smaller soundstage, significantly less impact and depth (musically) than the ortofons have.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #252 of 785
I don't understand why the chart is divided up like that, with the top line repeating itself. Is it for visual ease?

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #253 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #254 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by theKraken11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

two posts above yours: Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345
From memory, like ortofons but with less coherent highs, smaller soundstage, significantly less impact and depth (musically) than the ortofons have.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #255 of 785
OK, I reworked the first post and have included my BA vs. dynamic driver thoughts in the notes section, please take a look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For:
ER4S/P (Very detailed and balanced across the whole range)

Against:
SE530 (Close to no treble)
IE8 (Not much detail, poor speed compare to many BA)

Can you please list what you currently own, what you have owned, and what you have had long listening sessions with? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, how do you define forward mids? I think of forward mids as aggressive, in-your-face type. I don't think SE530 has aggressive mids - not at all. But like I said, they may seem prominent because the bass and treble may suffer due to poor fit.

Forward mids don't have to be agressive, but they bring the performer front and center like you are staring them in the face. Very uncomfortable for much of my music (which I play on random). And you say potato, I say potato...recessed treble and bass = forward mids IMO
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From memory? What have you heard on the chart? Your sig does not contain anything on the chart (UE SF5P, Shure E2c, Sennheiser HD 457). Did you get a good fit, and how long did you spend with it? What was the background noise level? Were you comparing with the e-Q7? Please, if you can, paint a picture for us of your audition as we need more info on the GR8!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theKraken11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why the chart is divided up like that, with the top line repeating itself. Is it for visual ease?

Yes, visual ease. Thanks for looking
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back