Top of the world maw!
Apr 25, 2002 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

binary_digit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello to you all !

I have just been made aware of this forum and wanted to say how wonderfull it is to have this much knowledge at ones fingertips. I have been studying under the watchfull eye of PPL for awhile and I must say, was not into hi-fidelity until I met him.
Since then I have not been able to get it or electronics in general out of my mind since.

Anyway, this is the DIY section so I will not ramble any longer about such things.

Just thought you might want to see some pics.

The Second Love of My Life.

Apr 25, 2002 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Since his profile says he's using a ppl amp, it looks like it could be one of ppl's portable amp designs like this:

http://homepage.mac.com/hyungsongnam...p.doc-link.doc

This one in particular has a bass boost feature. With all of those capacitors, it definitely looks ppl-ish.
biggrin.gif

I see in the picture that the power supply has a lot of battery packs. Are those just rechargeable batteries that you recharge when they drain, or is that a virtual battery power supply design?

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 10
Jude,
If you ask ppl you may find out that he listens to a wide variety of music, and some of it depends on low freq. that are essential to its groove. What better way to enjoy it than by driving this aspect into high gear and feeling your head shake? Techno, and some hard rock, and RAP are examples of these. I have started listening to other genre simply by accentuating these aspects.

One of my demos for this amp is the pod races in Phantom menace with bass boost, and I tell ya.............WOW!

ppl has put this in his design not for fidelity but pure enjoyment and I for one am thankfull for it. The design produces nill on the noise factor and breaths new life into much of my music library.

Im sure if you ask ppl he will fill you in on the tech. aspects of this power-house.

Possum,
The power pack is 16 AA 1600mAh Rat Shacks. A 24V wall wart charges these and the pack is daisy chained to the amp for extended life beyond the two 9's. I charge them both at the same time or alone. A switch on the backplane bypasses the nines for ac running when at home.

The pack is for camping and long trips and the 2 nines for lan parties and short engagements.

These coupled with my laptop/w DVD player are an excellent combo for long trips to see ppl in eugene.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by binary_digit
Jude,
If you ask ppl you may find out that he listens to a wide variety of music, and some of it depends on low freq. that are essential to its groove. What better way to enjoy it than by driving this aspect into high gear and feeling your head shake?

Thanks for the info, binary_digit. Do you happen to know what the center frequency is for that bass boost? And how many dB it's boosted?

Apr 26, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 10
"welcome to my nightmare..hope I didn't scare you..try to make you feel right at home.............
Welcome to my breakdown..........."
(Alice Cooper)
Welcome to DIY audio , no looking back now man , you are belong to us
Muhahahahahah

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 10
The Technicallities of my Frends amp is my Origenal version it uses BUF-634's both in the output as well as the Virtual ground Driver. The gain stage is the warm and musical sounding AD-744 with the Comp Pin driving the Buffer input, Thus bypassing the Opamps intrernal output stage. This combo in a Multiloop configuation is verry hard to Beat Musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back