confused.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 34

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by tokinlots
No comments on my post?
confused.gif

well...the kid is good yeah, but there's more to drumming than being able to keep a beat and being fast...which he is at points...I have a feeling that if it was an adult it wouldnt be a big deal...

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 34

Duckspeak

Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Ginger Baker
smily_headphones1.gif

Toad = BEST MAKEOUT SONG EVER

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #21 of 34

king896

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
3. The Black Page - Terry Bozzio - MOST COMPLICATED DRUM SOLO
*This song, appearing on Frank Zappa's "Make a Jazz Noise Here" fails to impress me every time I hear it. It is said that this particular piece was written to challenge Bozzio's ability. He pulled it off with such amazing ability and impressiveness on this recording.

4. Machine - Buddy Rich - FASTEST DRUM SOLO
*Buddy Rich simply was the fastest drummer to ever live. He was astonishingly quick and light with his hands, and they could literally go anywhere at any given moment. This is one of the solos that got me inspired to do soloing of my own.

Hum on Make a Jazz Noise it says that it was Chad Wackerman playing the Black Page, not Bozzio. If I am not wrong here Bozzio (with the help of Ruth Underwood) played it first on "Zappa In New York" which in my mind is one of the freakish and downright sickest drum solos I have ever heard http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Ziny/bpage.html.

Also Buddy Rich's drum solo in "West Side Story" from "The Best of Buddy Rich" single-handily brought me into the world of music when I was 10 years old. On a long trip home from my vacation I begged my brother to let me listen to his cd player and he just happened to have this cd in there and from that point on I was obsessed with finding drummers that could even come close to the aggressive style of Mr. Rich.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #22 of 34

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
i usually question this whenever i see it.. i don't get much of the praise towards Mike Portnoy. it's almost like he has tricked the general audience into believing that he is the best drummer in the world by having a deceptively accessible approach. the best drummers are the best in usually very subtle ways that tend to slip by unless you know what to look for. while very good, Portnoy seems almost amateur next to guys like Lang, Weckl, Donati, Jarzombek, etc..just IMO.

Mike Portnoy, Modern Drummer Magazine Readers Poll, Best Progressive Rock Drummer...

Ummm...10 years in a row.

He must have tricked a lot of people...most of them fellow drummers who read Modern Drummer Magazine.

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/

Don't worry, it's OK to be wrong.

Peace,

Graz

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #23 of 34

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
Mike Portnoy, Modern Drummer Magazine Readers Poll, Best Progressive Rock Drummer...

Ummm...10 years in a row.

i'm sorry, reader polls in magazines must have become defining facts when i wasn't looking.

if everything went by reader polls, we'd still have Mark Tremonti as best rock guitarist, Kirk Hammet as most valuable guitarist, Coldplay as the greatest band in the world, and Stairway to Heaven as the greatest guitar solo ever concieved.

/scoff

Quote:

He must have tricked a lot of people...most of them fellow drummers who read Modern Drummer Magazine.

same idea here - i'm sure that fellow guitarists read Guitar World.. and look at the results of their reader polls.. it's disgusting. the best players in the world usually aren't even MENTIONED on these polls.

also, playing an instrument doesn't automatically grant you broad exposure and knowledge of what's out there. Mike Portnoy wins because he's known by the general public, because Dream Theater is known as some sort of progressive behemoth by the general public. if you come up to the average prog fan and ask them, "Hey, are you familiar with Sean Reinert?", they're almost guaranteed to stare at you with a blank face. if you come up to the average prog fan and ask them, "Who's the best drummer in the world?", the two utterly typical and predictable answers that you will get are either Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy. if you ask the same question of a technical/avantgarde metal or jazz fusion fan (genres which are home to arguably the most accomplished musicians on the planet, who are also - sadly - rather obscure musicians) - you will get VERY different answers.

now - with the massive status of both Rush and DT in the eyes of the prog public, i hardly find any of the above surprising. by the way, i'm not taking anything away from either Peart or Portnoy, they are both very good drummers - i'm just trying to make a point.

in short - reader polls are worthless, especially when they come from popular magazines.

Quote:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/

Thomas Lang
Bobby Jarzombek
Charlie Zeleny
Dave DiCenso
Virgil Donati
Dave Weckl
Marco Minnemann
Gavin Harrison

i was unable to find dedicated websites for the following -

Sean Reinert - Cynic/Portal/Aeon Spoke/Gordian Knot
Rick Colaluca - Watchtower
Johan Langell - Pain of Salvation
Gene Hoglan - Death/lots of others
Bernhard Huber - Dreamscape
the guy from Atheist

^all of those guys are, in my eyes, superior to Portnoy in one or way another. you may wonder at choices like Harrison or DiCenso, and you might have some sort of valid argument there.. but there really is no denying that guys like Lang, Donati, Colaluca, Weckl, Reinert, and many of the rest would tear Portnoy apart on the kit.

that isn't even a particularly derogatory comment, because all those guys are beyond incredible.

i DARE you to watch Thomas Lang's instructional dvd, go to any of his clinics, or listen to his work with the absurd amount of artists he's played with.. and then try to argue in favor of Portnoy.

Quote:

Don't worry, it's OK to be wrong.

you got something right, at least
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #25 of 34

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Relax... this is all subjective isn't it?

a drummer's personal impact on you is subjective. technical ability and the practical application of that ability are things that can be very objective.

..and i am relaxed, i was just defending myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #26 of 34

immtbiker

The first to organize an (Inter)National Head-Fi Meet (2006)
Joe Morello on Take Five with Dave Brubeck Quartet)

Daniel Seraphine on Chicago's first album - Chicago Transit Authority

Billy Cobham (anytime he solos)

...and 2 to be edited later

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #29 of 34

stargirl

Head-Fier
i don't listen to a lot of music with drum solos (so im definately going to start checking out some of the stuff listed here), but if you haven't heard the beatles "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight" and "the End" theres a pretty fun solo in it (the three songs play together).

The only way i can describe the solo is ... pop! a Pop drum solo!!
smily_headphones1.gif

i love how this forum has opened my eyes to so much different music - like jazz for example. john coltrane rocks...er, jazzes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #30 of 34

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
asmox, I never intended to make this a personal crusade for Portnoy. I'm not the guy's personal fanboy or anything. I like his work. I think he's skilled, highly trained, and entertaining both to watch and listen to. Clearly the guy has dedicated himself to the craft. I'd originally said that he was "arguably" the best rock drummer... Seems you took exception there.

You're right...there are often a lot of "unknown" talents that tend to go overlooked in polls. Reader's polls often do tend to be popularity contests, I can't disagree. That said, when I take a glance through the Guitar Player Mag "Gallery of Greats"...guys who've won in any particular category five years running...for the most part, those guys pretty much all deserve to be there. And some of them aren't exactly what you might call household names for the average person. Ask today's teen-aged guitar players who Steve Morse is...most probably have no idea. I've never been a fan of Guitar World...it has always seemed to me to be a lesser mag, more focused on metal & more of a teen/kiddie guitar mag. I guess my veiled point here is, sometimes a reader's poll winner deserves to win. And a lot of times, the guys who win year in and year out do tend to have a bit of skill.

Actually, if I listed some my favorite drummers of all time, Portnoy doesn't even crack my top 5 & probably not even my top 10. My current personal favorite is Antonio Sanchez with Pat Metheny Group. I also dig Jack DeJohnette, the late Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, Billy Higgins, Omar Hakim, Chad Wackerman, and I've always loved Bill Bruford haha!

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread