Top 3 Universal IEM's (details in message)
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 41
I found the venting to only affect isolation marginally though and with he Olive tips it's even a bit better. But a solidly closed IEm would give a bit more isolation.

FWIW, I have Sony Hybrids on both my GR07 and CK10, and the difference in isolation on public transit is quite significant to my ears.

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #18 of 41
Yeah, people need to realize that the GR07's isolation is very good --- for a vented IEM. The isolation is merely above average for all IEMs. The comfort is exception on them; I also have smaller ear canals and usually have trouble with the wider nozzles of dynamic IEMs, but their articulating nozzles make up for them.

Etymotics obviously have the best isolation, but they're definitely a bit too analytical and boring even for me. I find the ER4P acceptable in terms of 'fun-ness' but it's barely tolerable and only because it's so detailed.

The Westone UM3x is also not all that fun-sounding. I only like it because I love the monitor sound. The Westone 4 is nicely balaned and detailed and gives a great ambient feel, but its clarity is disappointing to my ears. Otherwise, I find all Westones to be quite good at isolation and have nicely detailed sound, and are obviously designed with Complys in mind.

The only Shure I've ever liked is the SE535. Great comfort, build, and isolation but I feel it doesn't feel as detailed as the other universals anymore, though.

I don't have any experience with the CK10s, but the CK100s sounded extremely colored in the highs. They were very detailed, but very artificially so, so they're not on my list.

The FX700 are not my cup of tea but are excellent. They're bad for isolation, though, so they'll be stricken off your list.

The DBA-02s, I only find fault with them after I take them off my ears, but when they're inside, all is good.

The K-phonics SP would almost surely be one that's in my top three, but I haven't heard it, and perhaps never will. The MX is supposed to have a 'funner' sound, so perhaps this one could be the IEM 'to rule them all' -- but who knows?

My Personal Top 3:

1. Sony MDR-EX1000 --- great tonality, detail, good comfort, bad isolation.
2. Ortofon eQ-7 --- great tonality, average comfort
3. VSonic GR07 --- balance, value, comfort, acceptable isolation

IEMs for you to consider: Westone 4, SE535, Ortofon eQ-5/7, Fischer DBA-02, K-Phonics SP/MX

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 41
ER-4/HF5 (expensive(r), cheap(er))
Westone 4/UM3X (can't decide which is better)
PFE (I might get shot for this but I have always loved the PFE =D)

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
Yeah, people need to realize that the GR07's isolation is very good --- for a vented IEM. The isolation is merely above average for all IEMs. The comfort is exception on them; I also have smaller ear canals and usually have trouble with the wider nozzles of dynamic IEMs, but their articulating nozzles make up for them.

Etymotics obviously have the best isolation, but they're definitely a bit too analytical and boring even for me. I find the ER4P acceptable in terms of 'fun-ness' but it's barely tolerable and only because it's so detailed.

The Westone UM3x is also not all that fun-sounding. I only like it because I love the monitor sound. The Westone 4 is nicely balaned and detailed and gives a great ambient feel, but its clarity is disappointing to my ears. Otherwise, I find all Westones to be quite good at isolation and have nicely detailed sound, and are obviously designed with Complys in mind.

The only Shure I've ever liked is the SE535. Great comfort, build, and isolation but I feel it doesn't feel as detailed as the other universals anymore, though.

I don't have any experience with the CK10s, but the CK100s sounded extremely colored in the highs. They were very detailed, but very artificially so, so they're not on my list.

The FX700 are not my cup of tea but are excellent. They're bad for isolation, though, so they'll be stricken off your list.

The DBA-02s, I only find fault with them after I take them off my ears, but when they're inside, all is good.

The K-phonics SP would almost surely be one that's in my top three, but I haven't heard it, and perhaps never will. The MX is supposed to have a 'funner' sound, so perhaps this one could be the IEM 'to rule them all' -- but who knows?

My Personal Top 3:

1. Sony MDR-EX1000 --- great tonality, detail, good comfort, bad isolation.
2. Ortofon eQ-7 --- great tonality, average comfort
3. VSonic GR07 --- balance, value, comfort, acceptable isolation

IEMs for you to consider: Westone 4, SE535, Ortofon eQ-5/7, Fischer DBA-02, K-Phonics SP/MX

I completely agree here, apart from a few details.

I found the Shure SE425 more "fun" and felt like it had better build-quality than the SE535, for the price difference I much prefer the SE425.  The SE535 had a more subdued stage-monitor type sound, I think the SE425 is better for listening to music, I only heard them briefly though.

I haven't heard the EX1000, but I find the EX700 has excellent tonality, so I can believe it, tonality I think was most likely the main difference between the EX700 and SE425 when I A/B'd them.  The SE425 is more accurate for sure, but I prefer the EX700 overall.  The EX700 is the most love/hate IEM there is though I think, so I can't recommend it, EX1000 seems to only get positive reviews.

e-q5 and e-q7 seem nice, but I think the Final Audio FI-BA-A1 and SB offer more fun and seem more appealing.  Final Audio seem more passionate about their IEM's than Ortofon, since FA make their own drivers for example.

I haven't heard the ER-4 yet, but everyone keeps saying the same thing over and over, detailed and analytical, I can't wait to hear it, I'm getting them next week.

J-phonics K2 SP/MX (you wrote K-phonics, you mean J right?), haven't heard it yet either... next week!

Let me add three more to the list, Hifiman RE252, 262, 272.

I think that's a pretty decent list now.

Considering he loves Comply tips and is willing to save up for the "ultimate IEM", I think perhaps the J-phonic K2 is the one, I read Sensaphonics have most likely tuned it with the Comply tips on so it sounds the best with them.

It has the best isolation along with the ER-4, they offer full customisation of your IEM, and it comes with a professional hard-case. http://www.j-phonic.com/customize/index.html

I'm not sure how "fun" it is, it might sound like the SE535, that's the only weakness that I can think of.  Anyway, I should receive mine next week.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #21 of 41
Looking at the nozzle of the Vsonic.... I can't see how you could possibly fit a Shure Olive on there... did you decore it first?

I took a soldering iron and passed it through the core heating it up, I then stretched the ear side wide followed by slipping it on the GR07 nozzle while still warm and pliant. I then continued to widen the ear side using a small pair of needle nose pliers to ensure the end never closed off the nozzle opening. It was a bit tricky especially not using to much heat but a cheap soldering iron with a round pointed tip worked really well. I just happened to have such an iron from a cheap computer repair kit I had laying around. If you want I can shows some pictures of the procedure in the appreciation thread.

Aug 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 41
W4
GR07
EX600/FX700

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 41
I haven't heard the J-phonic yet but I'm pretty sure they're better than the SE535.

Are you saying you like brightness? What else do you like? I don't think the SE535 is for you.... I am biased though I don't really like them, if I was a drummer I'd ultimately want the decay of a dynamic driver along with shimmering cymbals and speed and ambiance.... I'm not really that picky with drums though, perhaps you should ask user "Anaxilus" here on head-fi what he thinks.

Since you're prepared to spend bucks have you considered customs? Check out the Thousand Sound TS842 review here on head-fi, it's a dynamic driver with the ER-4 balanced armature inside, I'm really not sure if it's suitable for you but worth checking out.... I think the J-phonic is most likely the one for you, but what can I say? I haven't heard it yet (a few days to go), actually only a handful of people on head-fi have, six or seven I think.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #27 of 41
What else I like... I think details and epically controlled bass. I hate when it overflows the music. Also dynamics. Yes, I like fast punch :D

Only customs I consider are SpiralEars 2-way pro, because its always problem to send the ear cast, and SpiralEars is polish brand (thats where I live). Also I think they are pretty good, because of 2 drivers, silicon housing, good reviews and so on. And it's only 380$. But if something goes wrong, I can't resell them :frowning2: Also I'm very much into detachable cables. I will have to be really careful, because usually I break 2 cables every year.

I'm sorry about this little offtopic :frowning2:

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #28 of 41
Thanks to all the Head-fiers for the useful responses. I have chosen to get the UM3X's since that was what I originally planned on buying, but now I have more knowledge on good universals which I can buy in the future. (definitely plan on doing) This has really been helpful, and although the purpose of this thread had served me well, it may help others, so keep on posting 
gs1000.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #30 of 41
Also, dweaver, congrats on the sucessful mod, maybe I will try it if I ever get the GR07's. I might, since they're not expensive compared to other IEM's. ahh i tried to edit, the post and now I'm stuck with two posts on the same topic. sorry guys, still learning here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back