Top 3 favorite bands?
Sep 14, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #95 of 159
Bad Religion
A Wilhelm Scream
Death Cab for Cutie

I don't think I go a day without listening to all three of these bands at least once.

Honorable mentions:
The Shins
Flogging Molly
Dropkick Murphys
Sufjan Stevens
Atmosphere
Modest Mouse
Pennywise

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #96 of 159
Sort of like the mandatory answer for any beauty pageant:
.......World Peace!

With Head-Fi, the obvious mandatory answer is of course:
........Pink Floyd!

I will break with the Head-Fi tradition:

1. Santana
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Eagles

I just can't get enough of the musical drive of either Santana or Led Zeppelin.....

Considering the number of copies of albumns the Eagles have sold - there must be a lot of Head-Fiers that aren't fessing up!

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #100 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Johnny Cash is a band?

No, Johnny Cash was a force of nature. But his early classics were all recorded with a band called Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #102 of 159
Bob Marley & the Wailers
Little Feat
Steely Dan

Honorable mention: The Doors

I don't rate their contributions to music as being greater than the likes of Elvis, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc., but for whatever reasons, I still get a little giddy whenever I hear their stuff.

Kind of cool that someone rated JJ Cale at the top of his list. He's another one that does something special for me. So soothing and relaxing. He's got this amazing command over an audience in a 'King of Cool' kind of way. JJ's stuff is about as mellow as it gets so he's definitely not for everyone, but he's quite spectacular in his unspectacular style. He just grabs a stool, sits down and starts strumming along and singing in raspy, muted tones. He almost mumbles at times, but somehow it all fits. No hype at all, just amazing talent. Unfortunately, most of his albums are poorly produced.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #104 of 159
Nr. 1: Lunar Aurora
Nr. 2: Agalloch

In no particular order, but have to be mentioned as third place, as I cannot pick one particular out of them:
Tord Gustavsen Trio
Primordial
Dornenreich
Deathspell Omega
Pink Floyd
Darkspace
Solstafir

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #105 of 159
Top 3 musicians/composers

Neil Young
Caetano Veloso
Marisa Monte