Top 10 MP3 Players (SQ ONLY)
Jul 5, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #121 of 153
This works for improving the SQ on the A72X/A82X series - eliminates the processed sound and brings it pretty darn close to the D2 (originally posted in another thread here):

DAC settings (firmware menu)
Press "Back", then activate "Hold" switch. Now press "Option" and hold down
while entering the following w/the direction pad:
up, up, down, down, right, left, up , down, up ,down, right, play/pause

These are MY settings - kills the over-processed sound the A72X/A82X series has.
Bass: -0.0 @ 50Hz (default is -4.5)
Treble: -4.5 @ 15kHz (default is -0.0)

These are my EQ settings - find whats best for you:
Clear Bass: +2
Equalizer: +2, -1, +1, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo: OFF and Normalizer: ON

These work for me. You can ONLY adjust the bass & treble - but it seems to be enough to make it sound sweet (like my S618 - but BETTER). Now it sounds like a Sony should - clean sound, powerful bass, excellent highs - but now they're not overpowering and "piercing".

PS: This also allows you to access the service menu on the S61X/A81X series as well FWIW.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #122 of 153
Haha, this reminds me of something else:

up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start, select

First person who gets that wins a cookie. =p

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #123 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Touch is actually a pretty decent sounding DAP. It's clean, but the soundstage is very lacking, in comparison to the D2.

Maybe you should actually listen to one before you trash it.

I agree he should listen to an iTouch before even saying anything about it, but How can you find the iTouch clean ? You can hear strange noises when you skip a song, or even during a song there are artefacts when deep bass or very high notes are played.
That's acceptable with decent iems like se210 or superfi 5, but not with a pair of um2's, se530's or custom iems.

edit : @synaesthetic
hey isn't that what we used in Contra ?

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #125 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha yes! It's the Konami Code!

*hands you a cookie*

Could be, considering how Sony and other Japanese companies like to tie together products w/tidbits of electronics and gaming history.
rolleyes.gif
Now that you mention it, it's kinda' COOL actually
cool.gif
!!!

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #126 of 153
The Service mode code has been the same for virtually every Sony device. That's the same code I used to get into the service mode of all the Sony MD units I have owned (except "Option" is usually "Menu" on MD units).

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #127 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildsurfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree he should listen to an iTouch before even saying anything about it, but How can you find the iTouch clean ? You can hear strange noises when you skip a song, or even during a song there are artefacts when deep bass or very high notes are played.
That's acceptable with decent iems like se210 or superfi 5, but not with a pair of um2's, se530's or custom iems.

edit : @synaesthetic
hey isn't that what we used in Contra ?

Hmm, strange. I never had those problems with mine.

I sold mine because the gimmick wore off, and I decided my D2 was the better player.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #129 of 153
I decided not to buy a new player.. I just love the 80 gigs of my good n' old ipod, and i'm emotionally stuck with it. To help fixing the sound quality it lacks, I purchased a portable amp and a LOD.
I'll give Feedback later.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:56 AM Post #130 of 153
do meizu really stand that low? i was going to buy it for it's great price.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #132 of 153
Oh yeah, that low. Many people tend to think it's a good player (sq wise I mean) because it supports flac, but codec support isn't enough to provide good sq... But you also have to moderate those ratings according to the type and quality of the headphones you're going to plug in your dap, keep in mind that we did it with high end iems.

You're right shigzeo, but you can't always try the daps before buying.
And by the way, thank you *so much* for all the respect you have for our work.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #134 of 153
I had a quick play at the local Go Audio with both D2 and A8xx, using my Atrio's.
The D2 could be made to provide strong bass using the various enhancements (custom eq at 8,6,1,4,2 and Mach3Bass and BBe both on around 5), but still somehow sounded kind of "thin" (pick the audiophile here! :wink:.
The Sony OTOH, sounded much fuller and punchier to me, which I loved (similar setup to D2, but less all-out towards bass ).
Maybe I didn't get the eq settings quite right on the D2, but the Sony really did blow me away. Now if only it did FLAC...
redface.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #135 of 153
My D2 is gettin' kinda dusty - trying to sell it through my buddy's job. Gonna miss the baby - but Sony's gonna' get my LUV!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back