TOP 10 movie scores you have ever listened to.
Jan 10, 2016 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
What are the best movie scores you have ever listened to ?

My current top 10 are

01 How to Train Your Dragon 1 (2010) / How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - John Powell
02 Bolt (2008) - John Powell
03 Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) - John Powell and Hans Zimmer
04 Transformers (2007) - Steve Jablonsky
05 Star Wars I ,II and III (1999,2002,2005) - John Williams
06 Tron Legacy (2010) - Daft Punk
07 Avatar (2009) - James Horner
08 Jurassic Park (1993) - John Williams
09 The Land Before Time (1988) - James Horner
10 The Lion King (1994)  - Hans Zimmer

Runner ups (Still sound awesome nevertheless)

( in no particular order)

The Rock (1996) - Hans Zimmer
Mulan (1998) - Jerry Goldsmith
The Treasure Planet (2002) - James Newton Howard
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (2001,2002,2003) - Howard Shore
Spirited Away (2001) - Joe Hisaishi
Princess Mononoke (1997) -  Joe Hisaishi
Wall-E (2008) - Thomas Newman
Oblivion (2013) - M83 , Anthony Gonzales ,Joseph Trapanese
Jurassic World (2015) - Michael Giacchino
Kung Fu Hustle (2004) - The Hong Kong Chinese Orchestra ,Akiko Suwana , Budapest Festival Orchestra
Ip Man (2008) - Kenji Kawai

Thats it from me , now post you Top 10/5/3/any MOVIE SCORES

Jan 10, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 9
My favorite movie soundtrack is the soundtrack from Schindler's List (this soundtrack also contains my favorite song which is track number 13 'Remembrances').

Some other soundtracks I like that you didn't mention (not ordered by how much I like the soundtracks):

The soundtrack from The Godfather

The soundtrack from The Godfather Part II

The soundtrack from the original Star Wars film

The Soundtrack from Return of the Jedi

The Rain Man soundtrack (more of a compilation of songs not written specifically for the movie although it DOES include some songs composed by Hans Zimmer specifically for the film)

The Dances With Wolves soundtrack

The soundtrack from Forrest Gump even though it is an overrated movie that won the Best Picture Oscar even though The Shawshank Redemption, Heavenly Creatures, AND Pulp Fiction were better films from that year (all according to my own opinion of course)

The Gladiator soundtrack

The soundtrack from The Last Samurai

The soundtrack from The King's Speech

The Inception soundtrack

The soundtrack from the movie Black Swan

The Philomena soundtrack

The soundtrack from The Wolf of Wall Street (again, really just a compilation of pre-existing songs)

The soundtrack from Kung-Fu Panda

The soundtrack from the first Harry Potter movie (I was listening to the Harry Potter soundtracks on Spotify but have been taking a break after reaching The Goblet of Fire, don't know when I'll return to it)

Jan 10, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 9
No matter how great the music is or works for the particular movie, without visuals/context soundtracks on their own don't work for me. Example: Gustavo Santaolalla (Babel, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain). Absolutely love the desolate atmosphere from his guitar compositions but not as a record.

From rusty memory there's two clear exceptions: Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. Lovely compiled quality music on there. As a fanboy Star Wars soundtracks are kind of nice but almost no replay value. I also have a fond memory of The Ninth Gate OST.

Jan 10, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 9
  No matter how great the music is or works for the particular movie, without visuals/context soundtracks on their own don't work for me. Example: Gustavo Santaolalla (Babel, 21 Grams, Brokeback Mountain). Absolutely love the desolate atmosphere from his guitar compositions but not as a record.

From rusty memory there's two clear exceptions: Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. Lovely compiled quality music on there. As a fanboy Star Wars soundtracks are kind of nice but almost no replay value. I also have a fond memory of The Ninth Gate OST.

That logic is undeniable , yes. But some movies,albeit horrible (60-30% ratings) MAY have good soundtracks.

A prime example of this is the movie Eragon. GODAWFULL Movie that bears little resemblance to the book it was based on but it has a great sounding score.

Edit: The Eragon book series (The Inheritance Cycle) is actually very interesting and very absorbing.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 9

+1

Soundtracks without the context of the movie don't do it for me either. As you say there are exceptions, but the two QT you mentioned are just great collections of songs really; funk and soul in the case of Jackie Brown. When it comes to pure score though, I can't think of any soundtracks I play regularly. I think Clint Mansell does good scores - Moon, Requiem for a Dream etc. - but they still don't really work on their own because they are designed to create a certain mood for key scenes within the film, rather than to be listened to in isolation.

That said, there are a few soundtracks that have some replay value, and these tend to be synth-driven: I find them  to be good electronic works in their own right:

Goblin - Suspiria
Rob - Maniac
Steve Moore - The Guest
Brian Eno - Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks
Klaus Schulze - Angst
Jean Michel Jarre - Les Granges Brulees
Vangelis - Blade Runner
+ a bunch by Tangerine Dream: Sorcerer, Firestarter, Thief, Wavelength, The Park Is Mine

Not synth, but I also like Nick Cave & Warren Ellis's soundtrack to White Lunar.

Jan 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Too many great soundtracks to mention but they're really just 'greatest hits' kind of collections usually. 

There are scores I listen to, but generally in the way of ambient music it's more of a background music than something I listen to critically. A few that come to mind:

Killing Fields - Mike Oldfield
Birdy - Peter Gabriel
Passion: Music from the Last Temptation of Christ - Peter Gabriel
Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
The Good the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone
The Last Emperor - Ryuichi Sakamoto
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - Ryuichi Sakamoto
Local Hero - Mark Knopfler

Does Brian Eno's "Music for Films" count? :)

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 9
No particular order and ignoring the classics (Godfather, Jaws, Psycho, Superman, Indiana Jones, E.T., etc.):

The Mission - Ennio Morricone
Prince of Darkness - John Carpenter
Inception - Hans Zimmer
Inside Out - Michael Giacchino (or Up; or The Incredibles)
Transformers - Steve Jablonsky
Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky
The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones
Braveheart - James Horner
The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 9
No particular order and ignoring the classics (Godfather, Jaws, Psycho, Superman, Indiana Jones, E.T., etc.):

The Mission - Ennio Morricone
Prince of Darkness - John Carpenter
Inception - Hans Zimmer
Inside Out - Michael Giacchino (or Up; or The Incredibles)
Transformers - Steve Jablonsky
Ender's Game - Steve Jablonsky
The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones
Braveheart - James Horner
The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Finch

Lol Enders game ........ I find that the majority of the songs in that score are not that nice, only a few are somewhat nice.

Up is nice , but I haven't heard the incredibles yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back