Top 10 Most Popular Brands?
May 23, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #16 of 59
Forgot Philips! But yeah, some folks like the Philips Fidelios because they...

A. Have a little better extension and elevation in the bass than many other dynamic open-back headphones (esp. the popular Sennheiser HD 600 & 650)
B. Are less expensive than the Sennheisers
C. Have a reasonably neutral to neutral-bright sound signature (IOW, they don't sound too bad to a typical audiophile)
D. Are nice lookin with comfortable pads(?)

Note sure about the last one, but I think those are some of the main reasons. Someone else feel to correct the above though if there are others.

well as long as you're not being offensive to anyone, you are entitled to that opinion. 😊 I honestly find those headphones sexy but am not sure of how it sounds. It's a good thing that people here generally likes it sonically.

May 23, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 59
Focal... Meze... Mr. Speakers... Fostex... Oppo... I guess it really depends on what you mean by "popular". :)

Some near the top of your list probably aren't as popular among the audiophiles/enthusiasts here as some of the higher-end brands like Audeze, HiFiMan, Focal, Meze, etc..

I believe Denon is also pretty well-regarded by most enthusiasts, though they don't seem to be discussed as much.

But these are higher brands like Stax also in which most people know of but do not have in their possession. Might I recall Fostex is also quite popular due to it being used by other brands. Also Z Reviews have a ton of them Fostex's so I'm guessing they really are a good deal.

May 29, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #19 of 59
Forgot Philips! But yeah, some folks like the Philips Fidelios because they...

A. Have a little better extension and elevation in the bass than many other dynamic open-back headphones (esp. the popular Sennheiser HD 600 & 650)
B. Are less expensive than the Sennheisers
C. Have a reasonably neutral to neutral-bright sound signature (IOW, they don't sound too bad to a typical audiophile)
D. Are nice lookin with comfortable pads(?)

Note sure about the last one, but I think those are some of the main reasons. Someone else feel to correct the above though if there are others.

I just picked up a set. Only one tiny little negative aspect to them. I find female vocals slightly recessed.

But all the above points are valid. I would add build quality as well. These things are built like a tank. QC is important to me when i pay over a 100 quid on headphones.

May 29, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #20 of 59
Hi everyone, I do not intend to cause disagreement, this is just an opinion. What brands do you usually see members here have or recommend or often talk about and/or are just popular with other members in this forum? Just Over-Ear Headphones, no on-ears and IEMS.

So here's my top 10
1. Sennheiser
2. Beyerdynamic
3. AKG
4. Audio-Technica
5. Grado
6. HiFiMan
7. Audeze
8. Sony
9. Shure
10. Denon
It seems that alot of people love these brands, and even refer to them(especially the first 5) as their reference headphones when reviewing other cans. IIRC there was a time when German Maestro, Alessandro some few where quite popular also.
I mostly agree, except it’s missing Focal. Maybe in place of Shure?

May 30, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #22 of 59
Well thanks. Though I haven't seen people talk about focal that much.
When talking more historically, you are definitely correct. However, over the past few years, Focal has really established themselves in the HP industry. Shure, on the other hand, has been around for several decades. I guess it would depend on whether one is talking more about the professional industry or the audiophile/enthusiast industry.

May 30, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #23 of 59
When talking more historically, you are definitely correct. However, over the past few years, Focal has really established themselves in the HP industry. Shure, on the other hand, has been around for several decades. I guess it would depend on whether one is talking more about the professional industry or the audiophile/enthusiast industry.

Well that makes a lot of sense. And Shure caters to both while Focal is most likely an audiophile/enthusiast brand. But the likes of AKG and AT also cater to both worlds.

May 30, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #24 of 59
Hi everyone, I do not intend to cause disagreement, this is just an opinion. What brands do you usually see members here have or recommend or often talk about and/or are just popular with other members in this forum? Just Over-Ear Headphones, no on-ears and IEMS.

So here's my top 10
1. Sennheiser
2. Beyerdynamic
3. AKG
4. Audio-Technica
5. Grado
6. HiFiMan
7. Audeze
8. Sony
9. Shure
10. Denon
It seems that alot of people love these brands, and even refer to them(especially the first 5) as their reference headphones when reviewing other cans. IIRC there was a time when German Maestro, Alessandro some few where quite popular also.
There are a few key things to remember:

- Brands that are popular among regular consumers are often not popular among the audiophile community, and brands that are popular among the audiophile community most consumers wouldn't have heard of. (Bose is hugely popular, but you won't see them discussed here much, and hifiman are very popular here, but most consumers wouldn't have heard of them)

- I can't think of any brand that has made exclusively good products. Its never a good plan to trust a product based on brand alone. (I love the HD800, but the HD820 and HD700 should not exist, I love the Hifiman Susvara and Arya, but the hifiman amps are somewhat mediocre, etc etc)

- Popularity and performance are not the same, and will vary in price range. Focal headphones are very popular but not discussed as often as sennheiser or Beyerdynamic because they aren't as affordable.

May 30, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #25 of 59

- Brands that are popular among regular consumers are often not popular among the audiophile community, and brands that are popular among the audiophile community most consumers wouldn't have heard of. (Bose is hugely popular, but you won't see them discussed here much, and hifiman are very popular here, but most consumers wouldn't have heard of them)

- I can't think of any brand that has made exclusively good products. Its never a good plan to trust a product based on brand alone. (I love the HD800, but the HD820 and HD700 should not exist, I love the Hifiman Susvara and Arya, but the hifiman amps are somewhat mediocre, etc etc)

- Popularity and performance are not the same, and will vary in price range. Focal headphones are very popular but not discussed as often as sennheiser or Beyerdynamic because they aren't as affordable.

True, that's why bose and beats are not even on the list. They aren't even talked about here. And also not much Meze, DCA or other high end brands are on my list since they serve a niche group ($$$$$), so they don't often get mentioned or recommended because only a few got them.

May 30, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 59

Good points. If you were to name the most popular brands for average consumers vs the audiophile community vs the professional industry, you would get 3 different lists. There would be some on all 3 lists, such as Sennheiser and Sony probably. However, the OP asked what brands “you usually see members HERE have or recommend or often talk about and/or are just popular with other members in this forum?“. So, it would be for the audiophile/enthusiast community.

May 30, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #27 of 59
It's funny I started this thread just to see some lists by other people but instead turned out to be a respectful (thank you) discussion. I hope people understood it's not some sort of ranking sonically, just the brands you most often see in the Over Ear Category sub.

I still wish you can put on lists though 😄

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #28 of 59
True, that's why bose and beats are not even on the list. They aren't even talked about here. And also not much Meze, DCA or other high end brands are on my list since they serve a niche group ($$$$$), so they don't often get mentioned or recommended because only a few got them.
Actually, Bose and Beats are talked about a lot. Just never in a positive way. :)

May 30, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #29 of 59
Actually, Bose and Beats are talked about a lot. Just never in a positive way. :)

Oh yeah my bad, but I haven't auditioned any of them personally so I won't jump aboard the hate train but am wary of that. Also the skullcandy's seem to get hate except for their aviatior cans. What do I know though, I liked the KEF M500 and the Anker Soundcore Cans 😄

May 30, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #30 of 59
Well that makes a lot of sense. And Shure caters to both while Focal is most likely an audiophile/enthusiast brand. But the likes of AKG and AT also cater to both worlds.

Focal may not be a household name in the US. But they have been making speakers since 1979. So they've been around for awhile. And they cater to both pro-audio users, and enthusiasts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal-JMLab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back