Tool releasing Lateralus on vinyl! Where to buy?
Aug 12, 2005 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

headchange4u

500+ Head-Fier
I read on Tool's website that they will be releasing Lateralus on vinyl on Agust 23. The was a limited edition release on the website but those are already sold out.

I MUST HAVE A COPY OF THIS !!!!!!

I have all of Tools other albums on vinyl and I must have this to complete my collection. I have not seen any place on the internet where you can order/pre-order this. If anyone finds a place please let me know. Thanks.

Aug 12, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 30
It took them 4 years to release Lateralus on vinyl? God...I think we have a longer wait than we think for the new album...

Aug 14, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
It took them 4 years to release Lateralus on vinyl? God...I think we have a longer wait than we think for the new album...

yup

Aug 14, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 30
Will it need an HDCD turntable?
wink.gif
j/k

Now seriously, Lateralus on vynil is a major reason for me to get into turntables.

Aug 14, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
what are the specs? is it an analog master?

That's the important question.
And those sites cite:
• Double Vinyl on Picture-Discs/each side containing a different picture
• Packaged in a special Plastic Gatefold with Holographic Foil

To which I say "AW FOCK!"
It seems packaging is more important than sonics here? It's a shame.

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 30
I preorderd at my local Tower Records. $38+tax and they don't require any payment up-front. I've heard Anema & Undertow on vinyl and was amazed at the difference in masternig quality as compared to CD... All of the TOOL albums have had dissapointingly sub-par mastering on their CD releases. Gotta love vinyl.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by headchange4u
I don't know about this particular edition, but the other Tool vinyls I have are really nice. Great sound and really heavy, thick vinyl.

I've Opiate & Undertow and they're fine. Alas, I haven't gotten an Ænima yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
All of the TOOL albums have had dissapointingly sub-par mastering on their CD releases.

I don't mean to single you out Jeremy because I've seen this statement many times and it just baffles me. Aside from some splashy cymbals on occasion, were talking near audiophile quality CD mastering. It doesn't get much better than being engineered by David Bottrill and mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Is it a case of misunderstanding the intentional compression of the megaphone style vocals or instruments for some songs?
To confirm my memory I just played Ænima and holy cow this is a rich, full sounding CD!

Is it listeners not accustomed to hearing large amounts of dynamics and bass on a CD with lower than usual volume?

It really must be turned up.
Are peoples amps just crapping out under the unusual challenge?

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
All of the TOOL albums have had dissapointingly sub-par mastering on their CD releases. Gotta love vinyl.

Cheers,
Jeremy

I must disagree with this statement also. Tool's CD's, IMHO, have great engineering.

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
I don't mean to single you out Jeremy because I've seen this statement many times and it just baffles me. Aside from some splashy cymbals on occasion, were talking near audiophile quality CD mastering. It doesn't get much better than being engineered by David Bottrill and mastered by Bob Ludwig.

Is it a case of misunderstanding the intentional compression of the megaphone style vocals or instruments for some songs?
To confirm my memory I just played Ænima and holy cow this is a rich, full sounding CD!

Is it listeners not accustomed to hearing large amounts of dynamics and bass on a CD with lower than usual volume?

It really must be turned up.
Are peoples amps just crapping out under the unusual challenge?

In my experience, I find the TOOL albums (with Lateralus being somewhat of an Exception since I find it's mastering to be worlds better than the other discs.) to sound very flat. Most pop/rock/mainstream albums anymore are processed using a limiting filter which will make them sound 'louder and more uniform' at the expense of the dynamics in the extremes of the audible range. They will sound fine to most people on average systems, but try listening to them on high end systems that resolve extremely well and you will quickly notice that while on a well mastered disc you will have an erie sense of being in a recording studio with the band, on TOOL albums the music sounds nice and clear, but it's still just that. Recorded Music. I want to be there with the band, and you DO get that from the vinyl releases. A-B them sometime. It'll blow your mind (provided you have a system up to the task).

I agree with you whole heartedly that TOOL should be turned up, and that most people's amps (and most people's entire systems for that matter) are not up to delivering an audiophile level sound experience, and I would concede that the way discs tend to be mastered now is likely a label decision designed to make the album sound more 'normal' for the masses. I'd just like to see more bands outside of the classical, jazz and chamber music generas master their albums for musical fidelity rather than mass appeal.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Aug 23, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #15 of 30
Ok the vinyl will be in stores in a few hours (23rd August). If someone here gets it you MUST take pictures so we can see the artwork etc. Also a review of the sound quality would be nice i.e. is it analogue master etc.

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back