Tool question - Ungar 2110 parts??
Oct 11, 2008 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Synkpot

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, and an uber-noob to DIY electronics in general. I'm currently going to school for mechanical engineering but there is a small portion of electronics study involved, plus i'm really looking at some new headphones and thought i'd start here with all of you gentlemen (and ladies where applicable
wink.gif
).

I just recently acquired an old Ungar Model 2110 variable temp soldering iron that my colleagues and I have used since I've been working in the lab at my company. My boss let me have it after they replaced it with a brand new digital Weller model. Other than it being older than me it worked VERY well when we were still using it... however...

Due to poor maintenance over the years the ceramic heating element defecated all over the inside of the iron tool, ruining the element and damaging the sleeve that the element and tip slide into.

Does anyone know where i can get replacement parts for this older model soldering iron, or at least enlightenment on parts that are compatible/ interchangeable from newer models? It's a very good one, and i hate to have to replace it because i'm pretty sure it'll put me back at least $150 for something just as good or better and i don't have that kind of bank to spend right now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Have you given CooperTools a phone call?

Quote:

CooperTools - Weller Plant
815 State Road
Cheraw, S.C. 29520
Attn.: Repair Department
Tel: (803) 537-5167 Ext. 237
or
Tel: (800) 476-3030 Ext. 2
FAX: (803) 537-0952
For Technical Service:
Tel: (803) 537-5167 Ext.'s 214 or 322
or
Tel: (800) 476-3030 Ext. 1
FAX: (803) 537-0952

Oct 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 9
Isn't it just a question of politeness?

If you email someone asking for help isn't it more polite to a allow them a few days to a week to answer?

A phone call seems more personal and direct, you'd actually get an instant response even if it's just 'I don't know'. Some people prefer it that way, perhaps it's an old fashioned approach?

So I'm suggesting give them a few more days before phoning.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 9
I didn't even have time to call... they replied to the email i sent just the other day, as well as digi-key, and i received the same answer from both: it's an obsoleted item and there is no longer any stock available.

i ended up caving and bought a brand new Weller WES51 from someone on ebay for less than $90 shipped, haha
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back