Tool on tour
Jul 13, 2002 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
Just saw Tool last night for the first show of their new tour in Bakersfield, CA. If you have even a mild interest in Tool's music, you owe it to yourself to see their show. There are two projectors on either side of the stage running video matched to the music. If you enjoy Tool's videos, your going to love the live visuals.

If you go, get a seat up high and as centered as possible. For the full visual experience, you need to get away from the front of the stage. The sound mix is much better up top anyway.

Tool's music is solid, well played and is tons of fun to listen to. There's not many bands that really get my psykik engine in gear, but man, Tool got that motor running! I felt my thoughts flowing very quickly, almost as intense a revelatory experience as I had when I visited the Catacombs in Paris.

See Tool!

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't understand how come there are so few TOOL fans on this forum
confused.gif
with so many heavy metal lovers - all genres included - and the "my darkest desires" thread, why are TOOL so rarelly mentioned... I really think they are one of the best metal groups today, with very complex music - some very special mixture of progressive, thrash, grindcore, death(?) heavy metal...just think of the combination-prog.&thrash metal - wow, how can you turn thrash,grindcore into progressive?- and it's a pitty so few people here listen to them
frown.gif
...the same applies to another great group called SYMPHONY_X - some heavier "metalic" Dream Theater, also almost unmentioned till now...so, to everybody who reads this, likes metal & progressive - give TOOL and SYMPHONY_X a spin on your CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 18
i must say that i am a fan of tool and listen to them often. the only thing keeping me away from seeing them is the fear that they will play the lateralis cd live. i love both undertow and anemia, but lateralis was a disapointment for me. maybe i need to take another listen.

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

i must say that i am a fan of tool and listen to them often. the only thing keeping me away from seeing them is the fear that they will play the lateralis cd live. i love both undertow and anemia, but lateralis was a disapointment for me. maybe i need to take another listen.

Last tour they played a good bit of Lateralus (both the song and album are spelled with a "u"). In fact, for the show I went to the setlist was as follows:

The Grudge
- ions
Stinkfist (newer version w/added lyrics)
46@2
Undertow
Schism
Experimental Instumental/Intermission 1
Pu****
Disposistion
Reflection
*Intermission 2 w/Osseus Labyrint performing*
Parabol
Parabola
Eon Blue Apocalypse
The patient
Opiate
Lateralus

I believe that Lateralus is possibly their best CD. You will have to listen several times to begin to appreciate it. Tool has in my opinion few modern peers, especially in the garbage filled radio formats. Tool is my favorite band, and I already have tickets to see them this tour. I know that next tour they have with King Crimson on the West Coast, I'm flying out to see. Plus, the West Coast sometimes is treated to the slower version of "pu****" with Aloke Dutta on tablas. According to Tool's website, Alex Grey has created some wonderful artwork this time around (as if last time wasn't good enough
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Well, anyways, I'm dying to see them again. I hope everyone who has a chance to see Tool does.

Jul 17, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 18
I have Lateralus, it's good. Very well recorded as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Yeah, I'm also interested in how the stage was setup. Last time around Maynard was in the back center (on a little platform with a mini screen behind him) with Danny and his drums to the back right. Adam and Justin were out front. There wasn't really any antics from the band during the last tour, and I believe that the reason maynard was in the back (and often had his back to the crowd) was a symbolic gesture saying "I'm the singer but not a frontman everyone one in the band is equal." Maybe it was also a reaction to the publicity and face recognition he received because of A Perfect Circle.

Jul 17, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 18
i love tool and each time (twice) i have seen them has been an amazing experience and i really am looking forward to seeing them again. i'll have to call my friend who's buddies with the guy at msg..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 18, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 18
They're coming to Boston or someplace in Mass in October. I'm going by any means necessary. Tool is my favorite band. I have all the CDs, the Salival DVD/CD, many teeshirts, and a couple posters. I haven't been able to see them in concert though
frown.gif
I don't care if no one else will go with me (I only have one friend that is into Tool), I'll still go.

Also, I can't choose a favorite between Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus. I love them all equally. Opiate is only okay IMO.

Jul 18, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth

I believe that Lateralus is possibly their best CD. You will have to listen several times to begin to appreciate it.

I usually wait to buy a CD after I see a band's live show. I saw Tool in Bakersfield and in Los Angeles, and it was incredible to hear the new music live without any preconceived notions of what it should sound like. Last night I bought Lateralus and listened to it on my 570 and V6's. I think some of the songs on this disc are a little soft, but that's because I think the band's sound is evolving, and they are taking some chances. Most of the time their risks pay off, and the very powerful musical and lyrical content, combined with the live visuals, make for a live performance that should not be missed.

I have tickets to see them in Vegas, and if I had the money, I would follow them around the country. The show was THAT GOOD.

Spiral out, keep going...

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 18
one of my favorite parts of any tool song is the sudden break down at 7:12 on third eye:

so glad to see you
i missed you so much
so glad it's over
i missed you so much
came out to watch you play
why are you running away?
came out to watch you play
why are you running..?

another favorite is from the live version of pu**** from salival:

what are you but my reflection?

as for why i'm posting this, i dunno.. i just get stuck on certain lyrics and feel the need to post them and jeff's little quote spurred me on..

Jul 18, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
[

"as for why i'm posting this, i dunno.. i just get stuck on certain lyrics and feel the need to post them and jeff's little quote spurred me on.." [/B]

which reminds me:- what do you think of TOOL's performance of LedZep's NO QUARTER? (It's on SALIVAL, I think). Have you noticed the change in the lyrics? I think as much as the original is a wow-wa-wee-wow song, TOOL's version even tops it... and to surpass LedZep is not an easy job to do...

Somebody mentioned here Tool performing with King Crimson - I didn't know they "reincarnated" - just listen to the sound in King Crimson's STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK and see tool 30 years younger...

"Also, I can't choose a favorite between Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus. I love them all equally. Opiate is only okay IMO."

Yeah, you're right... I used to think Lateralus was my favorite but now that you write it I feel you're right - ALL OF THEM KICK ASS...(OPIATE is EP-I don't count it)

Jul 18, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Their cover of No Quarter is monstrous. I heard a badly encoded, poorly recorded live boot of the song, but I was utterly transfixed by the massive power Tool's interpretation added to the song. My roommate, who is a big classic rock fan, listened to the version with me and he really dug it.

I don't know what it is about Maynard's lyrics, but a good part of the reason fans stick with Tool is his ability to capture a feeling in words, creating a word-picture that really makes sense, and in different ways to different people. Tool communicates absolutely directly, the words and the music lock together to make a sound experience that is harmonius and penetrating and inspiring.

I'm glad their are artists out there who are truly committed to creating meaningful art in new ways. Art comes in many forms, and I admire Tool for pushing their own boundaries (and ours).

Jul 18, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

which reminds me:- what do you think of TOOL's performance of LedZep's NO QUARTER? (It's on SALIVAL, I think). Have you noticed the change in the lyrics? I think as much as the original is a wow-wa-wee-wow song, TOOL's version even tops it... and to surpass LedZep is not an easy job to do...

I agree whole heartedly. The total performance is overwhelming. The combination of Adam, Danny, and Justin's trademark vicious music assault and Maynard's stripped down lyrics helps to create a darker and more powerful song. That whole CD is amazing and worth the $25-$30 the Salival package as a whole costs.

Quote:

Somebody mentioned here Tool performing with King Crimson - I didn't know they "reincarnated" - just listen to the sound in King Crimson's STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK and see tool 30 years younger...

So very true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back