1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

TOOL on HDtracks

Discussion in 'Music' started by CoryGillmore, Aug 3, 2019.
First

Back
3 4 5 6
Next

Last
  1. John2e Contributor

They are probably using those for the HD masters. I don't think they'd go back to the old digital recordings...

New album 8/30

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    CoryGillmore likes this.
  2. Ninth Wave
    Yes, that’s how I got the three Tool albums I purchased (Aenima, Lateralus and 10k Days) plus Roger Waters’ “Amused to Death” on DSD and Dream Theater’s self titled album.

The download failed halfway through which I eventually realised was because I’d maxed out my drive.

Anyway, VPN worked fine. Geo restrictions don’t make any sense to me but at least there’s a workaround.

3. turbomustang84
    I'm hoping the HDtracks version turns out to be special because some of the rarest Tool CDs I've got are selling for alot at the moment.
    So I'll wait and see

CoryGillmore likes this.
  4. John2e Contributor
    The band is adding a few tracks to the digital download version of the new album while the CD will not have these. Not sure if its a space limitation issue or the band is encouraging the Download purchase....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    CoryGillmore likes this.
  5. CoryGillmore
    Which CDs are you referring to? Salival and Tales From The Darkside are the only CDs I can think of that are worth anything. The original press of Aenima on vinyl is very valuable too

6. CoryGillmore
    Why weren't the digital Tool albums available in Australia? Are they still not?

7. Ninth Wave
    Not that I'm aware of. When I bought from HD Tracks, they had a 15% off deal which was the lure for me.

Do you know of any Australian sites for hi-res purchases? The only one I have used previously is called "7 digital" or something. No relation to the TV network. It had a very limited range too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. turbomustang84
    They are also for sale on Qobuz

9. Ninth Wave
    Geo-blocked for Australian users too, just by the way

10. oldmate
    Jesus H Christ we get the raw prawn here in Oz when it comes to everything audio. To make matters even worse I'll be long dead and buried before The Pot becomes legal. :disappointed_relieved:

And they wonder why we have to resort to illegal downloading despite our governments weak as piss attempt to block torrent sites.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  11. CoryGillmore
    So wait is it blocked in an attempt to censor it? Don't feel bad the pot is illegal in my state and will be forever. I'm hoping for federal legalization.

12. Redcarmoose
    It’s fascinating how 24bit/ 96kHz can affect sound. I’ve been a 16/44.1 (is the best) type of stalwart for years, but recently “now” think I can hear improvements with hi-res?

There have seen a multitude of reasonable explanations going as far as guessing pedestrian remasters are actually used for CDs and a different remaster is used for “audiophile” hi-res.

Personally I don’t question stuff that much, as if it sounds different all the time then it’s obviously an improved way to roll. Still many actually think hi-res has a different sound all it’s own. Have to give one a try?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Ninth Wave, raelamb, John2e and 2 others like this.
  13. Ninth Wave
    I've never been a big fan of Tool's recordings. I've really enjoyed a lot of their music but I have felt that the recordings have actually been quite poor. It didn't make a lot of sense to me because they are notorious for taking their time with their creative process and albums have taken years and years...and years to be ready for public consumption, as everybody knows. So when I've listened to the music, I've always picked up on a lack of clarity or even some low level hissing. I suspect they have used recording equipment that is "old school" or something to try and keep it more earthy and aligned with their spiritual values or something (I have no idea, I'm just throwing out ideas here).

So when I heard the hi-res versions, the first thing I picked up on was how much cleaner they all sounded. All the dirty bits have been removed! It's comparable to photography with a dirty lens - you can see a beautiful image but the specs, however slight, will bug you. Once you see them, it's hard not to focus on these imperfections. I didn't detect any imperfections with the hi-res versions and I've gladly been able to pick out more detail from the music so the cost of buying these albums again has been worth it to me.

In saying this, I've been listening to a leak of the new album (since I couldn't wait for my fancy-pants edition physical copy to arrive) and it has moments where the recording crackles and feels dirty again - but far worse than on previous recordings. In one particular track, there's quite a build up and it feels very pressurised and intense, with the recording feeling like it's bursting at the seams. I'm listening to FLAC files too so it's not a product of a dodgy file (assuming the transcoding was from a legit source). I'm quite surprised that these imperfections exist. Thirteen years for this? This is sloppy. I'll rip my disc when it arrives and see if it repeats the same issue (as I suspect it will). As for the music, well, that's a post I might make at another time.

John2e likes this.
  14. mcmurray
    Interesting. Personally I think the album sounds sensational.

CoryGillmore likes this.
  15. John2e Contributor
    Rip the disc... (sorry I see you are in Aus) edit

I hope the album is available in 96/24 at the very least

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    CoryGillmore likes this.
First

Back
3 4 5 6
Next

Last