Took the plunge... Samsung DLP HDTV
Jun 4, 2005 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
b2c_l_hlr5067.jpg

I pulled the trigger at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, but didn't shoot anyone. Instead, I shot my wallet.

I bought a Samsung HLR4667W DLP HDTV, and man is it SWEET. I've never seen anything look this good. Attack of the Clones DVD is a better experience at home than the local DLP cinema. Details are unbelievably vivid. Every pixel oozes with realism.

DLP rules! It costs less, lasts forever, and doesn't suffer from burn-in. The latest generation of chips deliver outstanding picture quality. I can't help but think movie theaters are going the way of video arcades... slow extinction. With the advent of HDTV, it's bound to happen. A properly dialed-in home theater is way better than any local cinema. Best of all, I can get a terrific red Zinfandel at the snack bar.
biggrin.gif

Another cool feature is the VGA port directly on the back. The computer display actually looks better than a direct connection to a CRT monitor! BLOWS AWAY those crappy S-video TV-out cards. This, friends, is The Way. Combined with an Airboard wireless keyboard, there is no going back.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
b2c_l_hlr5067.jpg

I pulled the trigger at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, but didn't shoot anyone. Instead, I shot my wallet.

I bought a Samsung HLR4667W DLP HDTV, and man is it SWEET. I've never seen anything look this good. Attack of the Clones DVD is a better experience at home than the local DLP cinema. Details are unbelievably vivid. Every pixel oozes with realism.

DLP rules! It costs less, lasts forever, and doesn't suffer from burn-in. The latest generation of chips deliver outstanding picture quality. I can't help but think movie theaters are going the way of video arcades... slow extinction. With the advent of HDTV, it's bound to happen. A properly dialed-in home theater is way better than any local cinema. Best of all, I can get a terrific red Zinfandel at the snack bar.
biggrin.gif

Another cool feature is the VGA port directly on the back. The computer display actually looks better than a direct connection to a CRT monitor! BLOWS AWAY those crappy S-video TV-out cards. This, friends, is The Way. Combined with an Airboard wireless keyboard, there is no going back.

I have the HLN467W. I love it. And my wife loves it even more.

A few things, though. DLP won't last forever. The first thing to go will be the bulb. Probably within the first three years (depending on how often you use it). The bulb replacement ain't cheap, but at least it is user replaceable.

The color wheel is the next thing to go. I have already had problems with it making weird grinding noises whenever it has not been used in awhile and especially if it is pretty cold in the room, but fortunately it seems to go away after it has been on for an hour or so.

BTW, have you tried the DVI/HDMI input? It's even better than the VGA input.

Funny thing is that DLP is a case of Source Matters. Analog cable and terrestial tv looks horrible on DLP. It truly reveals how bad it is. So I upgraded to HDTV. Too bad not more programs are broadcast in true HDTV.

Another bright future for DLP is the 1280x720 resolution. (720p). THe upcoming XBox 360 will have a native resolution of 1280x720. I can't wait. The games in 720p were truly a sight to behold.

In fact, I play computer games in 1280x720 whenever I can.

-Ed

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 36
Congratulations! I've been thinking of getting one myself, but I've been able to show self-control thus far. Was it an impulse buy or did you plan it out? As far as theaters dwindling into the past, I definitely agree. It's still cool to see movies on a gigantic screen but I'd trade that in a second to have the comfort of my own home, equipment, and (as you mentioned) snacks!

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 36
looks nice nick... can i have it?? jhaahh

jus playing. New tv rules!

I got a sony xbr wega from a few years back... I haven't seen a plasma or anyting yet that blows away a CRT as far as vibrance (though i don't dismiss they exist, nor do i believe i know what i'm talking about, i'm sure they are out there...)

Though,

I think the plasma's and the likes of waht you have are soon going to make CRT in all shapes and forms kow tow and go away.

Congrats : ]

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 36
Edwood: I know the bulb will eventually burn out, but that's a small price to pay to maintain 100% performance. LCD and plasma gradually fade away and can never be replenished (not to mention issues with burn-in).

I'll keep an eye (ear?) out for any color wheel issues. I bought a long warranty on mine just in case of any trouble.

YES on HDMI! Looks fantastic. I bought a Panasonic S77 DVD player that upconverts to 720p and sends the signal via HDMI. Result is amazing. Also has an audio delay feature to correct lip-sync issues.

Agreed that source is everything. Normal TV sucks. Can't wait for mass-adoption of HDTV signals.

Jefemeister: I bought a 32" CRT in 1999 and swore that I wouldn't dive into HDTV until 2005... the supposed "Year of HDTV". Well, here we are. Prices have come way down, programming is on the rise, and the technology is mature. I'm a happy dude!

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Dangerous
Edwood: I know the bulb will eventually burn out, but that's a small price to pay to maintain 100% performance. LCD and plasma gradually fade away and can never be replenished (not to mention issues with burn-in).

I'll keep an eye (ear?) out for any color wheel issues. I bought a long warranty on mine just in case of any trouble.

YES on HDMI! Looks fantastic. I bought a Panasonic S77 DVD player that upconverts to 720p and sends the signal via HDMI. Result is amazing. Also has an audio delay feature to correct lip-sync issues.

Agreed that source is everything. Normal TV sucks. Can't wait for mass-adoption of HDTV signals.

Jefemeister: I bought a 32" CRT in 1999 and swore that I wouldn't dive into HDTV until 2005... the supposed "Year of HDTV". Well, here we are. Prices have come way down, programming is on the rise, and the technology is mature. I'm a happy dude!

Yep, I bought a 5 year extended warranty because of the color wheel issues.

Have you tried hooking up your computer to the DVI input on the Samsung? I use my computer as my DVD player now.

I can't wait for BluRay. I want my HD movies!!!!!!

-Ed

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 36
I have also heard that the the bulb is so damn hot and so close to the screen that it takes a toll on the screen and probably the wheels. I bought a Samsung DLP also though, because the picture is so nice. I bought the extended warranty figuring I could get a few bulbs under warranty and then by the time the warranty runs out, the bulbs will be cheaper.

Jun 4, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 36
We've had a HLN4365WX here for about a year now and it's been great!
Discovery HD over Dish network is awesome. Depth of field and detail is just amazing on the HD channels.

Very happy with it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #10 of 36
Has anyone considered getting a DLP projector instead of a standard DLP TV? I'm thinking about this myself, since I never watch TV (don't even have cable) or play games but I do watch a lot of DVDs at night. I've borrowed DLP projectors from work a couple of times to watch movies at home and I've been pretty impressed so far. Getting a 100 inch picture projected on the wall is a lot of fun!

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
Has anyone considered getting a DLP projector instead of a standard DLP TV? I'm thinking about this myself, since I never watch TV (don't even have cable) or play games but I do watch a lot of DVDs at night. I've borrowed DLP projectors from work a couple of times to watch movies at home and I've been pretty impressed so far. Getting a 100 inch picture projected on the wall is a lot of fun!

While it can be cheaper, and you can have a larger screen, keep in mind that it's not as bright as a rear projection set. You have to control your room light more. Rear projection DLP has better contrast too, and especially with Samsung, the anti reflective surface of the screen makes viewing with even sunlight entering the room possible.

Each has it's +'s and -'s.

-Ed

Jun 4, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 36
LOVE my sammy 50" ...have it about ten feet view distance....OUTSTANDING!

At about 1k hours, replaced the color wheel under warranty...

Psst: from power off, hit power, mute, 1,8,2, "enter" and see how many hours on the bulb...

Love watching football, NASCAR, HDTV 'casts...

Service drone told me that the bulbs often go 5k hours, but that they can go as soon as 1.5k...will keep ya posted...

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 36
My boss is as fanatical about TV and home theater as we are about headphones. He uses a $15K projector on a 105 inch screen. With his audio setup I have never heard better. At lunch he is often approached and asked for his opinion on which set to get. Lately his recommendation has been the Samsung DLP both for price and picture.

As good as they are out of the box he also highly recommends that after burn in having them adjusted professionally or DIY if you have the skill and equipment. He rants over how the contrast and brightness settings from the factory are way out of whack.

I think this is the year for a new TV for me as well. Maybe the 60+ inch Samsung DLP.

Jun 4, 2005 at 1:42 PM Post #15 of 36
we have the Sony XBR 70 inch LCd projection, it looks better than any tv I have seen. I have seen DLP, but it always looks weird. So I asked, someone on a forum and they said they are just never calibrated correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back