Too good to be true ?
Nov 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 42

Quote:
You guys should open a Paypal dispute. Explain to them what happened (all the conversations, etc) and if the seller still doesn't respond Paypal will rule in your favour.

Very good advice (& time-sensitive as well).

Here's the link at PayPal: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Customer/customerservice/GXOLogin-outside
(You'll have to log in to your PayPal account, then you'll be automatically redirected to the Resolution Center.)

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #33 of 42

Quote:
I've found that eBay and PayPal are very serious about protecting their buyers.
They'll probably not immediately release the purchase money paid to this new seller.

This seems to be their practice. 
And they thus have enormous leverage with respect to the transaction - they are in control of the funds for a length of time
immediately following payment.  The seller  isn't.

Quote:
Do you know how long this policy has gone on, or whether it applies to all sellers?  I was scammed a long time ago, but I can definitely buy with more confidence if Paypal maintains control of the funds now.

I'm not sure how long it's been in effect; I'd say at least a year now.

And it doesn't apply only to new holders of PayPal accounts - even long time account holders, if they begin having issues with their account
(such as an overabundance of buyer complaints), PayPal will not allow that account holder (eBay Seller) to withdraw funds from the account.

In other words, PayPal will put a "hold" on the funds for a time.

So if a genuine issue develops, and an eBay Buyer files a complaint in the PayPal Resolution Center (which must be done in a timely manner)
against that Seller, eBay/PayPal are in control of the funds.  If they decide in favor of the Buyer after looking things over and hearing from both sides,
they can simply send the "held" funds directly back to the Buyer.

It's all spelled out in PayPal's "Terms of Use"; there are no unfair surprises for the crooks who would attempt to scam buyers on eBay.

(BTW, I'm assuming everyone here is aware that eBay owns PayPal.)

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 42
Paypal is boss....

Filling a claim with them is pretty easy and most of the time they rule it in favors of the buyer (if not EVERY time)

If you don't receive the item you fill the claim and if the seller can't provide proof that he shipped the item you will get your money back pretty quick.

And if you receive the item and its fake, also fill a claim stating that you did not received the item. The seller won't be able to prove it since I'm pretty sure he won't use delivery confirmation or tracking cause he's retard !!

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #35 of 42

Quote:

I'm not sure how long it's been in effect; I'd say at least a year now.

And it doesn't apply only to new holders of PayPal accounts - even long time account holders, if they begin having issues with their account
(such as an overabundance of buyer complaints), PayPal will not allow that account holder (eBay Seller) to withdraw funds from the account.

In other words, PayPal will put a "hold" on the funds for a time.

So if a genuine issue develops, and an eBay Buyer files a complaint in the PayPal Resolution Center (which must be done in a timely manner)
against that Seller, eBay/PayPal are in control of the funds.  If they decide in favor of the Buyer after looking things over and hearing from both sides,
they can simply send the "held" funds directly back to the Buyer.

It's all spelled out in PayPal's "Terms of Use"; there are no unfair surprises for the crooks who would attempt to scam buyers on eBay.

(BTW, I'm assuming everyone here is aware that eBay owns PayPal.)

Hrm...
I was scammed (non-sending seller) back in 2004 by someone with 100% feedback, who decided to rob me and a half dozen or dozen or so other people all at once before closing his account.  The negative feedback started rolling in very soon after I bought from him, and Paypal had a policy that allowed them to put a hold on his account...but only 10 days after notifying him.  Naturally, he took the money and ran before his 10 days were up, and he made out with thousands in other people's money.  Paypal ruled that he was at fault, but they weren't exactly interested in pursuing the funds after the fact or reimbursing me from their own pocket either.  In the end I had no further recourse, since busting out a lawyer would have cost far more than I lost.  I'll have to check the terms of use, but hopefully Paypal is a bit more proactive nowadays.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #36 of 42

Quote:
Hrm...
I was scammed (non-sending seller) back in 2004 by someone with 100% feedback, who decided to rob me and a half dozen or dozen or so other people all at once before closing his account.  The negative feedback started rolling in very soon after I bought from him, and Paypal had a policy that allowed them to put a hold on his account...but only 10 days after notifying him.  Naturally, he took the money and ran before his 10 days were up, and he made out with thousands in other people's money.  Paypal ruled that he was at fault, but they weren't exactly interested in pursuing the funds after the fact or reimbursing me from their own pocket either.  In the end I had no further recourse, since busting out a lawyer would have cost far more than I lost.  I'll have to check the terms of use, but hopefully Paypal is a bit more proactive nowadays.

Sorry to hear about that. :

eBay/PayPal has changed things significantly since that time.

The PayPal User Agreement now states specifically (I've highlighted the most relevant sections):

• Risk-Based Holds. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on any or all of the payments you receive when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with you, your Account, or any or all of your transactions. PayPal’s determination may be based on a number of different factors and PayPal may rely on information it receives from its third party partners such as eBay. If PayPal places a hold on a payment, the funds will appear in your “Pending Balance” and the payment status will show as “Completed - Funds not yet available”. If PayPal places a hold on any or all of the payments you receive PayPal will provide you with notice of our actions. PayPal will release the hold on any payment after 21 Days from the date the payment was received into your Account unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal or PayPal has taken another action permitted under this Section 10. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may release the hold earlier under certain circumstances, for example PayPal may release the hold earlier if you have uploaded tracking information. If you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal, PayPal may continue holding the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved pursuant to this Agreement.
  • Disputed Transaction Holds. If a User files a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback or Reversal on a payment you received, PayPal may place a temporary hold on the funds in your Account to cover the amount of the liability. If you win the dispute or the transaction is eligible for PayPal Seller protection, PayPal will lift the temporary hold. If you lose the dispute, PayPal will remove the funds from your Account. This process also applies to claims that a buyer files directly with eBay through the eBay resolution process if your Account is your reimbursement method for buyer claims.

People who buy/sell regularly on eBay are well aware that "new" Sellers, with little or no feedback, are among those subject to these holds.

(edit: formatting)

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #39 of 42
Wow that sucks, hopefully, all those who were scammed got their money back. Otherwise I usually buy from amazon or some other authorized seller, I realize ebay can be much cheaper at times, but the amount of risk sometimes is just to high.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #40 of 42

Quote:
Before the purchase was finalized, I asked the seller, unitelectronics, to cancel my bid because I suspected the item was countefeit.  They refused, to which I replied that I will buy the item and then compare it to an HDJ-2000 purchased from an authorized retailer.

Later this afternoon, after I had already paid for the item, they sent a cancellation request saying that I purchased the item in error.  Does this seem fishy to anyone else? Lol.

I declined the cancellation request and intend to get to the bottom of this.  Maybe out of fear of being aired out for selling counterfeits, they'll send me a genuine one?  

Update on this:

They're sticking with the cancellation and the refund is already back in my PayPal account.  I guess they really didn't want to get aired out for selling counterfeits.

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #41 of 42

Quote:
Update on this:

They're sticking with the cancellation and the refund is already back in my PayPal account.  I guess they really didn't want to get aired out for selling counterfeits.

Glad you got your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back