Too Good To Be True? Progress/SACD Under $600?
Apr 10, 2002 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jodokast

500+ Head-Fier
Lately, I've been meaning to check out DVD players that feature progressive scan along with SACD playback in order to replace my cd player and toshiba dvd player.

I found this: Sony DVP-NS900V DVD Player - $576

http://www.ibuydigital.com/main.cfm?...id=1046&com=20

So far....all the info I managed to find on it (most of it non-english) seem to suit my needs. All basic good stuff. My question is: How would the SACD playback on this differ from say the DVP-S9000ES. It's older brother- an also progressive-scan dvd player with SACD playback qualities.

Comments? Opininons? Has anybody had any experience with these things?

Also, anybody else notice that the japanese model is gold?
ns900v_12.jpg

Yummy.......if I buy a japanese model, it would just be like the u.s. model right? I should still be able to use it? cept for maybe the power cord?? voltage?

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 18
Sweetness....hm....but I"m still wondering. Whta's the difference between the 9000ES and the NS900V? Better A/D converter internally? It's heavier? LoL
wink.gif
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 18
It hadn't even occured to me to update my source but damn, I like the way that thing looks. Wonder how it sounds. Although, I can careless about SACD, at the moment.

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 18
For me it just appeals to me since I get replace 2 cdplayers/dvd players for one.
wink.gif

Also, I've been wanting to get progressive-scan for quite some time now........however, if I"m gonna spend this much, I figure I might as well ask around. Does anybody know how this player goes?

I think Vert has a 9000ES? Older brother model? How does that sound/work out?

Apr 11, 2002 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 18
I dont think you want a Japanese DVD player from Sony, because you kinda wont be able to play Region 1 DVDs... that's sort of bad
smily_headphones1.gif

I sure hate it how we get shafted like that though... The Japanese models look so much better
mad.gif
(the DVD player I have is silver in Japan, grrr)

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 18
Interesting. That's a multi-channel SACD player, while the 9000ES is two-channel only. OTOH, the 9000ES is built like a tank.

www.onecall.com is quoting a price of $564.39 delivered for the "Sony DVPNS900V ES Progressive Scan DVD Player with Multi-Channel SACD"

....ES?? Not quite.

Apr 11, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 18
I think I also read somewhere that you can "modify" the 9000ES? Maybe Vertigo has more info on this?

Was wondering.......think I could possibly do the same /w this model?

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 18
Gee let me guess, you want to hear me say something.
biggrin.gif

I considered the 900V for a while, but I figure I'll never do multichannel...at least not for a couple more years. Without a doubt the 9000ES is built better than the 900V. Plus I was able to get it locally, which was a major influence on my part. Yeah, those two little "ES" letters were also the other major influence.
biggrin.gif

Seriously speaking, the 900V has a better picture quality...chalk it up to more current DVD technology. The 9000ES also has a chroma bug that has plagued a specific video output chipset, and the 9000ES just so happens to use that chipset.
frown.gif
It's not something you should care about at all though unless you're a total video freak, and I mean a TOTALLY HARDCORE video freak, from the captures I've seen displaying the bug, but it is there. The 9000ES has the better margin on audio...which is no surprise. The 900V's chassis is based on the QS design which is marketed towards the midfi consumer. The 9000ES was marketed first and foremost as a DVD player, but that little Audio Direct button on it says that its audio side was no afterthought either.

The final thing that did it in for me was that there have been consistent, multiple claims of the 9000ES being a better sounding player than the SCD-777ES. And having heard both the 9000ES and SCD-1 side by side before with my own R10s, I actually understand and know where those claims are coming from.

Both the 9000ES and 900V are moddable...however I'd think twice before doing it since it will void your 5 year warranty (3 with 900V I believe...maybe less).

Here's a pic of the 9000ES' guts. Very nice shot of the transport particularly:

DSCN4260.JPG-thumb_273_205.jpg

Same pic, much bigger here: http://homepage.mac.com/earlghamner/...r/DSCN4260.JPG

And here's a tidbit regarding the 900V's DACs:

"The XA777 and the 900V use completely different DACs. The XA777 uses three stereo Burr-Brown PCM1738 DACs per channel in stereo mode (6 dac channels in parallel). The 900V uses a 6 channel AKM DAC chip for the 6 channel output and a 2 channel AKM DAC chip for the two channel output. The XA777 is the only Sony machine with parallel DACs (6 dac channels per channel in stereo mode)."

In plain English, the XA777ES smokes the 900V.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #10 of 18
Hm......well, I already have an A.R.T. DI/O
wink.gif
wink.gif

Hm.....ugh. Might want to sell that. Or, could I use that /w the 9000ES? Would I still have SACD playback?

Hm.....damnit. Now I'm thinking about paying that extra $$ for the ES.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks for hte comments man.

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 18
You can use the ART DI/O with the 9000ES. SACD is analog output only, so the digital output never handles that signal (it would never go through the DI/O, unless you were using it analog to analog to add tube warmth). However, there are issues between the ART and Sony. The DI/O makes odd and unpleasant noises connected to some DVD players, and the 9000ES is one of them. Turning off Dolby Digital and DTS might or might not help. Still, once a disc is playing the noise stops and the music comes through. I prefer redbook, and especially 24/96 encoded music (all of the one disk I have) through the DI/O rather than the Sony DACs. Much fuller midrange, IMO.

Try www.oade.com Authorized Sony dealer that has very good pricing (although you'd have to e-mail or call for a price on the ES series) The price on the 9000ES has been coming down. I've seen it under $900, but I can't remember where.

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 18
Lucky you, I just got a DI/O. Should be here in a week.
wink.gif

No, SACDs are not outputted through the digital outputs, to prevent piracy of SACDs. So you would need two RCA cables along with an amp with two inputs if you seriously wanted to run both SACDs and CD/DAC side by side. I personally listen to CDs WAY more than SACDs, so an upgrade to the redbook side of the 9000ES is in order.

BTW, doesn't this sound fun:

"It has been said that some DI/O sound warm and some others sound analytical. One member commented that his two DI/O with very close serial number sounded differently, so I guess it's my particular unit and not a common strait of all DI/Os"

Great...just great.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #13 of 18
I think I"m gonna decide on the 900V. (might as well save some $$ right? LoL)

I want to buy some cardas cables later on the road.....so figure. 900V should suit me just fine.

Thanks for the advice/comments guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Lucky you, I just got a DI/O. Should be here in a week.
wink.gif

BTW, doesn't this sound fun:

"It has been said that some DI/O sound warm and some others sound analytical. One member commented that his two DI/O with very close serial number sounded differently, so I guess it's my particular unit and not a common strait of all DI/Os"

That might have been me. I've got three, and one has a different set of parts than the other two...and sounded different. The mod process has brought it back in line with the others, more or less, although the two I'm working on are using different configurations and different op amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back