Tomahawk or XIN Super micro
Apr 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #46 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Polo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... please tell us, what your musical taste is ?

Thanks,

Peter

I listen to classics - mainly chamber music, orchestral; instruments (mainly piano, violin, cello, some organs, harp, but also includes Chinese like Erhu, Pipa), smooth jazz, R&B, ambient, oddies and slow pops. I am not a bass head, and I go after realism and accurate reproduction of what the source contains.

F. Lo

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #48 of 68
supermicro uses AAAs not AAs
smily_headphones1.gif

i use a 1000mah sanyo rechargeable, i've had it run for at least 12 hours continous use, a break of a week, then a couple more hours ~3.

if you mod it to take a AA, it'll probably last forever
biggrin.gif
seeing as how AAA can power it for >12 hours, AA would do around 3x that.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #49 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
supermicro uses AAAs not AAs
smily_headphones1.gif

i use a 1000mah sanyo rechargeable, i've had it run for at least 12 hours continous use, a break of a week, then a couple more hours ~3.

if you mod it to take a AA, it'll probably last forever
biggrin.gif
seeing as how AAA can power it for >12 hours, AA would do around 3x that.

My bad, I thought they took AA's. Have you ever tried it with an alkaline battery? Or even a Lithium?

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #50 of 68
didnt try it with alkaline. lithium would put out too many volts, no? dont they do 3.6V?

ni-mh are the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif
they have a lower impedance than alkalines and some people say they sound better than alkalines for xin's amps.

if you dont plan to listen to more than 12 straight hours in a day, get eneloops as the regular ni-mh self discharge pretty quickly over time.

btw, i use it for iems so for full size cans, youll probably get less batt life.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #51 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didnt try it with alkaline. lithium would put out too many volts, no? dont they do 3.6V?

ni-mh are the way to go
smily_headphones1.gif
they have a lower impedance than alkalines and some people say they sound better than alkalines for xin's amps.

if you dont plan to listen to more than 12 straight hours in a day, get eneloops as the regular ni-mh self discharge pretty quickly over time.

btw, i use it for iems so for full size cans, youll probably get less batt life.

Have you tried powering your HD650's with your SMIV? If so, could it power them very well?

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #52 of 68
it did pretty good, but i didnt use it for long. i remember cranking it up to almost max volume, but didnt hear any distortion, hiss or clipping.

dont think it would be ideal though... but some folks in xin's forums say it sounds good

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #53 of 68
I'd like to know something about the xin supermicro.
If I have an hissy player, will the xin pick that noise?
Can't I crank the player's volume to the maximun and then lower the supermicro's volume?
Is the supermicro gain adjustable?

Thanks!!

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know something about the xin supermicro.
If I have an hissy player, will the xin pick that noise?
Can't I crank the player's volume to the maximun and then lower the supermicro's volume?
Is the supermicro gain adjustable?

Thanks!!

An amps job is to amplify what you feed it. If you feed it noise it will amplify it, so the key is to feed as clean a signal as you can. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #55 of 68
Thanks, but it doesn't answer to my other question: is the micro gain adjustable? (and, if not, how can you manage to use it with iems?)

Cheers

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An amps job is to amplify what you feed it. If you feed it noise it will amplify it, so the key is to feed as clean a signal as you can. Good luck.

X2.... Try to use the "lineout" for a signal as opposed to the player's own amp...
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #57 of 68
Quote:

I thought you guys said the amps also "colored" the sound...

So as long as my source is already loud enough for me, what benefit do I gain from amping it??

I'm starting to have second thoughts on this supermicro purchase. When people say that amps are useful for players with crappy built-in amps...do they mean players with crappy built-in amps that hiss and/or ones without lineout?

I was under the assumption that a Supermicro could be put between most any player (including hissy ones w/headphone out only) and cans... and it'd give more clarity.

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but it doesn't answer to my other question: is the micro gain adjustable? (and, if not, how can you manage to use it with iems?)

Cheers

The micro does not have a gain switch or such.

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #59 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you guys said the amps also "colored" the sound...

So as long as my source is already loud enough for me, what benefit do I gain from amping it??

I'm starting to have second thoughts on this supermicro purchase. When people say that amps are useful for players with crappy built-in amps...do they mean players with crappy built-in amps that hiss and/or ones without lineout?

I was under the assumption that a Supermicro could be put between most any player (including hissy ones w/headphone out only) and cans... and it'd give more clarity.

Amps help with depth, dynamics, transients, etc. To get the most out of an amp you use a line out of your source, thus bypassing the internal amp in the source.

Apr 14, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 68
Quote:

Amps help with depth, dynamics, transients, etc. To get the most out of an amp you use a line out of your source, thus bypassing the internal amp in the source.

But for a portable flash player, a Cowon G3 or Nano 1st Gen or something with a clean amp would benefit from a supermicro paired with ksc75 or mdr-v6?? I'm assuming all of you with amps are gonna say you should use amps, right?

How many players come with a true line out? any flash ones at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back