Tokyo Headphone Festival presented by FUJIYA AVIC, May 12, 2012 (Pictorial)
May 30, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 66
Thanks so much for the write up. I am deeply, deeply envious. It seems like some kind of elysian field of audio.

May 30, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #33 of 66
Hi 

thanks for seeing my pocket amplifier. 

It's style lo-fi amplifier of the 1980s.
and uses every day. 

I am a Japanese and am around Tokyo. 

Moreover, please come for play also to Tokyo. 

Seeyou next festival.

thanks

May 30, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:
Hi 

thanks for seeing my pocket amplifier. 

It's style lo-fi amplifier of the 1980s.
and uses every day. 

I am a Japanese and am around Tokyo. 

Moreover, please come for play also to Tokyo. 

Seeyou next festival.

thanks

Nice build there! See you next year!(I hope)

Quote:

She couldn't have picked a better headphone to put her name on, honestly. The TH900 is fantastic.

I can't agree more, Fostex's flagship phone at that. She just set a record of celebrity phones, upsetting the veteran Quincy Jones! I did not see the need to go further than my SRH840s at first as I wanted to upgrade my monitors, but after seeing that, I'm getting that in the future >_>

May 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #35 of 66
I think someone posted above this item is an external capacitance for DC coupling.  The Portaphile Maxxed amp used here doesn't have any caps in the signal path to block DC.

May 30, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 66
Wow! This thread is overwhealming...Great job @Mkubota! I gotta visit Japan and these Headphone Shops!

I wonder how the feeling would be on being one of these wonderful places and events for a headfier. :p

May 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #37 of 66
Quote:
I think someone posted above this item is an external capacitance for DC coupling.  The Portaphile Maxxed amp used here doesn't have any caps in the signal path to block DC.

Does the CLAS output DC along with the signal?

My wild guess is that it might be some kind crossfeed, or an EQ of some sort.

May 31, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Quote:
Does the CLAS output DC along with the signal?

My wild guess is that it might be some kind crossfeed, or an EQ of some sort.

or maybe some kind of passive buffer or AAC (analog to analog converter)? usually this item is put between dac and amp.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #40 of 66
Wow!, and I was just shocked and very nervous and looked immediately at my HD800s while thinking I've worn it the wrong way for nearly two years now... but the guy in the picture is definitely making the mistake and it's not me this time...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
P.S. anyone else notice the back-to-front HD 800? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:
Thanks so much for the write up. I am deeply, deeply envious. It seems like some kind of elysian field of audio.

That is a perfectly elegant metaphor!

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #44 of 66
MKubota1, thank you for an amazing write-up! You have a gift for writing about the people as well as the great gear. It would have been a treat to have just followed along on your trip and been an observer of the fun.  
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #45 of 66
It seems like some kind of elysian field of audio.

I think that's a great way to look at Tokyo. I think there are a number of reasons why this is the case:

1) history with personal electronics

There are a lot of great companies that make personal audio hardware but Japan has been leading in that industry (until Apple came out with the iPod/iPhone) since the category of personal audio was created. Clearly there are great firms making personal audio products outside of Japan but the density of offerings from Japanese firms is still impressive. Sony has some 400+ headphones for sale (SKUs) and Audio-Technica also has a big lineup.

2) density of living space

Due to the fact that Japanese people predominantly live in the big cities of Japan, (because the rest of Japan is mainly mountains) most people can't install audiophile-quality hardware and enjoy it without disturbing their neighbors. Thus, headphones are really popular in Japan.

3) public transportation

Similarly to the density of living, Japan's extensive public transportation system means that people are usually taking a train for an hour or more each way to work from their home and this also drives the personal audio market. If you live in a place where you're always in a car (like LA) you have people who enjoy installing aftermarket car stereos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back