Tokyo Headphone Festival presented by FUJIYA AVIC, May 11, 2013 (PICTORIAL)
Jul 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Mkubota1

In the Happy Place
HERE WE GO AGAIN!  For the fifth time running I've been lucky enough to attend the semi-annual FUJIYA-AVIC Headphone Festival.  In the past when I've written about these I've asked:  "Will I ever get tired or bored of going to these?"  I think I will stop asking myself that because I have now been to enough of them that I know what the answer will always be-  NEVER!  There is always something new or something old that I haven't tried.  And there are plenty of wonderful people to meet- old acquaintances and new.  As with my previous write-ups, I have included (audio-related) snippets not directly related to the show including a stop I made before Tokyo.

​
 ​

As it has been for the last few years and for the foreseeable future the show was held at Stadium Place in Aoyama.  And as it has for at least four out of the five times I've attended, it rained.  This actually works out quite well for me because it usually turns out to be the only day of my ~week-long trip that rains.  So why not spend that time indoors?  This year the line outside before the opening seemed longer than ever.  This queue (pictured) went to the end of the block.  And as you can see these people are not going to let a little rain prevent them from getting in first.

Before going on I must as always give a HUGE thank you to Sasaki-san and Ishizone-san (FUJIYA-AVIC) for getting a group of us Head-Fiers press passes so that we did not have to wait in this line.  This also gave us an hour or so to preview and photograph the show before the masses were let in.  どうもありがとうごさいます!

Shure

As this show has gained worldwide recognition and the attention of all major manufacturers, it is now frequently used to unveil new products.  This year some of the greatest buzz was all about Shure's new flagship IEM- the SE846.  Of course having early access to the show this was the first stop that me and fellow Head-Fiers made!

The Shures were feeding off of the Fostex HP-A8.  Egg timers were used to regulate listening time and insure that everyone got a fair chance to listen.  The Shure marketing team is very smart and creative in this way.  They are also the ones who give out schwag in exchange for your vote of your favorite Shure IEM/ headphone at the show.  Note that the IEMs in the pictures are still prototypes, although from an acoustic standpoint they are the final product.

Westone

Westone finally came out with something new this year:  Their 'Adventure Series' ADV Alpha.  These are a departure from their 'W' series, as it uses a dynamic driver.  More specifically it has a 'Micro Driver' which is basically a really tiny dynamic driver that we are starting to see in a lot of other IEMs such as the Yamaha EPH-100 and the JVC HA-FXD70/80.  In the Westone it is encased in a tough weather-resistant housing with a really nice set of cables to match that durability.  For me though, the more interesting news is the tips that go with these.  That's because they are compatible with the 'W' series and you can purchase them separately.

​
They are color-coded by size and have a texture that is more Shure Olive than Comply foam.  That is to say that they seem a bit more durable than the later and possibly the former too.  As a user of the Shure Olives on my Westone 4s, these are something I'd like to try since they have the small nozzle opening and I won't need to use any sort of sleeve to make them fit as I do now with the Olives.  With the 'Adventure Series' also comes a new silicone tip that has internal ribs or 'STAR' as they call it.  These are also compatible with the 'W' series.

Singapore

I'm quite certain that there is no better place on the planet for an audiophile than Japan; especially when you take into account product availability, the number of stores in a given area, and the ability to try stuff (demo) like IEMs and headphones.  That said, there are a few other places that aren't so bad either.  A quick stop in Singapore before Tokyo led to some nice surprises.  Singapore is of course the home of Jaben.  However, when I got to their store located in The Adelphi Mall, they were in the middle of moving from one floor to another.  So things were a bit scattered and the store was not quite set up yet.

But the big consolation was that this place happened to be in a five-story mall, of which at least half of the stores were mid to extreme high-end audio shops.  Not only was the equipment in these places mind-blowing, but some of the showroom floors and listening rooms were just amazing- the sort of stuff you seen in magazines or brochures.

Here is a rather odd sighting.  It was a display case in the middle of the mall.  I suppose it was to advertise for Jaben.  But you'd think that this dusty set of AKG K1000s would be better placed on a shelf or in the window of their store.  Maybe they'll move it there after they're done setting up the new location… and hopefully clean them up a bit!

So I was roaming one of the larger malls in Singapore.  And just on a long-shot I decided to look at the store directory to see if they had any audio shops.  No, I don't do this everywhere I go... honest!  And wouldn't you know it- there was a store called 'Stereo'.  Not much ambiguity there!  But was it 'home stereo' or 'home theater'?

As it turned out, it was a headphone shop- smack in the middle of an otherwise normal (but rather big) mall.  It was one of the larger headphone shops I've been to anywhere.  I would definitely say one of the nicest too- nicely laid out displays, huge selection, iMac sources, and iFi components at their listening bar.

I even got the chance to listen to the JVC HA-DX2000 (available only in Asia, minus Japan) alongside the Denon D5000.  Another piece of unobtainium that I got to hear was the Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV.

Final Audio Design

Ever since discovering the design philosophy behind them, the Piano Fortes have been on my wish list of IEMs.  This time I even bought a pair of their super-cheap-o Piano Forte II.  These are the plastic version of the beauties you see above.  But the only thing they have in common is the beginning part of their name.  The IIs are around $27 USD, while their metal counterparts start at ~$650.  And although they are shaped differently their tuning is somewhat similar:  Neither are aimed at reference neutrality or even with modern-day pop music in mind.  If you don't understand that, you will not 'get' these at all and think they sound awful.

Final Audio showed their upcoming headphones in prototype form.  I don't think they were finalized in terms of sound.  But rest assured, much like their top-tier IEMs they will not be aimed at cans such as Sennheiser, Sony, or anything 'conventional' sounding.

The Pandora 4 (left) had a slightly echoey sound to it.  Their construction is very nice and reminded me a bit of the Sennheiser Momentum.  The 3.5mm right-angle plug means this is probably meant for portable use.  MSRP will be ~¥40,000*.  The Pandora 6 (right) had a bit of a vintage audio sound to it.  There was something a little strange going on in the midrange which led to this somewhat out-of-head soundstage.  I'm not sure if this was intentional, recalling the philosophy behind some of their other products.  Also, since these are not final versions I would reserve judgement until they are.  I am eager to hear what these will sound like.  MSRP will be ~¥60,000*.  Never a dull moment from FAD!  (*currently ¥100 equals about $1.)

TakeT

Yup- that's me finally getting the chance to hear the legendary TakeT H2!  To be really honest, I wasn't getting it.  Going into this I remember reading about how difficult and crucial it was to have these in just the right position on your head in order to get the proper sound out of them.  And judging from everything that I have read about them and comparing that to what I heard, I'm pretty sure I need to spend more time with these.  I feel it's a bit like those 3D autostereogram posters- where everyone seems to get it but you; so you keep trying.  You can check out Jude's own Head-Fi TV take on them here.

As you may recall, the same person who makes the H2 also makes those super-tweeters that you use in conjunction with your existing headphones.  It is called the BPP and plugs into your headphone jack via a parallel splitter.  Now, they sell both the Apple Earpods and Sony XBA-10 with the super tweeters installed inline.  I tried them at the show; but much like my H2 experience, the show probably did not hold the ideal conditions to try these.  Those who do experience the effect say it is a subtle one.  So I ended up picking up a BPP so I could try it in the quiet confines of my home.  (I still have not gotten around to trying it yet!)

JVC/ Victor

JVC introduced a few new headphones- the HA-SZ1000/2000.  I love their exploded view displays.  They have similar ones for a few of their IEMs.

Both headphones were a bit too bass-heavy for my tastes.  But considering the firm clamping force, thick cable, and 3.5mm jacks, these are clearly meant for street duty.  So I'm sure ambient noise and music genre has a lot to do with the tuning of this headphone.  The SZ2000s actually seemed to have a bit of a woody tone to them which is reminiscent of their regarded DX1000.  I don't think you'll find a bit of wood on these though.  But I'd give them an A+ for build-quality and their heavy-duty construction.

SMS

I remember at the last few shows hearing some headphones that were not made by the usual suspects and thinking to myself:  Though they may look like just another company trying to get into the game or even another Beats clone, some of these things may surprise you.  TDK was a brand that had little or no headphone brand awareness around these parts (Head-Fi and the U.S.); yet they surprised me with a few of their products.  So this time I finally got around to looking past the candy-colored plasticky materials (and the not-so-bad-looking reps) and listened to a few of these.
 ​
 ​
 ​
These 'SMS Audio - Street by 50' (the full name if I'm not mistaken) headphones have equally perplexing model names:  'Over-Ear', 'On-Ear', and 'DJ Pro Performance'.  They sound more like descriptions to me.  My notes on the sound:  ('Over-Ear') "These sound like Beats; maybe even more than Beats themselves," ('On-Ear') "These actually sound decent, not horrible/ quite good," ('DJ Pro') "I think these actually sound the best… well-balanced… nudged close to enthusiast territory."

Fostex

Fostex is getting closer than ever to releasing the HP-V1.  I got to listen to it and although the voicing is not final, it added a really nice warmth on top of the sound of the HP-P1.  As reported elsewhere, this is a tube amp-only unit; no DAC.  One really nice thing about it is that it has an input jack on both sides.  Why don't more amp manufacturers do this?

Listening to the TH600 back-to-back with the TH900 just isn't fair.  The TH600 is a really nice headphone by itself- but the TH900's versatility and ability to blend its 'WOW factor' with some neutrality and balance makes them a perfectly legitimate end-game headphone.  Owning the TH600 would be like having a Porsche 911 but knowing that there is the 911 GT3.  Fostex also had their new IEM on hand.  It has a dynamic driver and seems tuned a bit towards the bassy side.  The cable and IEM housing are exquisite.  Pricing is lower-mid tier (relatively speaking) at ~$100USD.

Soul by Ludacris

Onto more celebrity headphones- Soul by Ludacris.  I think I was actually more impressed by these than with the SMSs.  The SL300 has noise canceling, which I though was mandatory because without it the headphone didn't sound as good.  Even with it on there was some selective noise leakage which sounded a bit odd at times.  The SL150 (cheaper, no noise canceling) sounded better to me.  In fact, in my notes I have:  "…probably one of the best voiced celeb phones I've heard yet."  That cheapish creaky plastic seems to plague all of these headphones- no exception here.  However, it is my opinion that the days of one headphone company owning this market are numbered.  (According to the WSJ, 'Beats' were 40% of all U.S. headphone sales and 70% of premium headphone sales over last Xmas.)

STAX
 ​

I finally got some time in with the baby STAX SRS-002 portable.  The open nature of these (and all current STAX for that matter) makes a quiet listening environment mandatory to get the most out of these.  This strikes me as a bit of an odd requirement for a portable system.  But I guess it could be used around the house or as a transportable system.

It's too bad that the tips are proprietary and cannot be replaced with other brands.  But I suppose the extra-large driver opening makes that necessary.

Not much going on here at the STAX table.  
{=^;^=}​

Travel Rig

For an electrostat, the SRS-002 is a nice portable travel rig.  Here was my hotel room electrostat set-up in Tokyo:

Just kidding!  On this trip, thanks to a very favorable exchange rate, I decided to buy some stuff.  That started with a trip to FUJIYA-AVIC and a couple of listening sessions- trying a few different amplifiers and settling on this SR-507/SRM-600 set-up.  Both were used, but in mint condition.  In fact, they had 3-4 pairs of used 507s to pick from.

The fun part was carrying it back on the airplane.  No matter how well-packed, I wasn't about to check anything in- especially after seeing this:

​
Luckily, the overhead bins were not that full.​
 ​

JH Audio

Another "I finally got to hear…" was the JH3A.  Wow!  There is just lots of everything- "very dynamic" is what I have in my notes.  You get the feeling that you're hearing everything.  But I also felt that it might have been a little too aggressive at times.  I'd have to spend more time with them to be sure of this.

It was nice to see the IEM legend Jerry Harvey at the show!  
It's always good to meet the people behind the products that we like; and they turn out to be really nice.  This is definitely the case with JH Audio.  His enthusiasm and positivity jump out at you- kind of like the JH-3A?  ​
biggrin.gif
  Even though it has nothing to do with good sound, it's nice to give your hard-earned money to a guy like this.
 ​
 ​

Acoutune

Acoustune is a new company that was buried behind a crowd of people waiting to hear the new KEF headphones and FitEar Parterre.  From memory and according to their data sheet, this is a Hong Kong-based company that designs their (amplifier) circuits in Japan and builds their products in China- a true multi-national.  Again from their literature:  "Embedded unique analogue acoustic circuit "TUBE3D" simulated through research for tube sound, delivering with "sound feeling of live performance" special acoustic portrait."  This amp had a particular appeal to me because the processor's effect was subtle yet noticeable.  Generally speaking, and especially when it comes to electronics, I am more of a neutrality first kind of guy.  The TUBE3D circuitry, which is switchable, definitely made the sound more expansive and lively.  I was trying to determine whether this came at the expense of other things like details or coherence.  It was hard to tell if it did or not- which to me is good.  It means they didn't over-do it.  Still in prototype form, it will be interesting to see the final product.

They also had a prototype headphone with a built-in tube amplifier!  Yes- and amazingly it did not feel warm to the touch and has a claimed battery life of ~10 hours.  Initially I asked myself what the point of this was.  But then I figured it would be one way of getting that tube sound straight from your iPhone/DAP output- no external (tube) amp needed.

ADL

ADL had their X1 DAC and a new set of headphones as well.  The headphones actually sounded quite good.  I didn't get a long enough listen to get a solid impression.  But if you see them around, they're definitely worth an audition.

ORB

This is ORB's portable version of their JADE amplifier, appropriately name JADE to go.  Its sound has a nice bit of warmth to it, not unlike the my iQube.  I would consider it if I didn't already have the later.

The case (shown in black Urushi finish) has a solid feel to it and you can see why.

Audio Technica

No- these are not the same headphones.  They're actually the ATH-AD-X-series from Audio Technica.  Getting to listen to them all side by side was nice because it allowed me to hear their similarities as well as the gradual improvements as you went up the line.  In short, I think the AD900X is a bargain and the AD1000x is the price point sweet-spot.  But this being Head-Fi and all, I'd eat Top Ramen for a while and get the AD2000X.   My only reservations about the AD2000X, which probably applies to all of these, are the large pad contact area and shallow pad depth.

Ultrasone

One of the other big debuts at this show (that I didn't happen to miss) was the Ultrasone Edition 12.  This is definitely a different headphone than the ED10, despite it's similar appearance.  The sound leans a bit more towards neutral than the ED10.  As a result, I think this headphone might be a bit less polarizing than the ED10.  Although the velour pads on this headphone were completely comfortable, I prefer the leather on the ED10 for it's more luxurious appearance.  The same can be said about the wood inlay (on the '10).

Aurorasound

There is always some vinyl playing at these events.  Usually it is just to garner attention and is being used as the source for whatever is on display.  However, this setup is showcasing the Aurorasound VIDA phono preamp which is being fed by a Garrard 401 deck.

Jazz 'Kissa'

Speaking of vinyl, one of the things I wanted to do on this trip was visit the Tokyo Jazz Cafes (or 'Jazz Kissa') that I've read so much about.  These were started way back just after WWII when not everyone had a hi-fi in their home.  But then these places started to slowly go away as people acquired their own home stereos (and televisions, etc.), much the same way theaters died soon after televisions came.  But there seems to be a resurgence of these as well as a few long-standing survivors.

Though all of them are different in a number of ways, the one common thing you'll find at most of these places is they are owned and run by one person who is seriously into jazz and hi-fi.  Vinyl pretty much rules 95% of the time.  And JBL monitors are very popular; although there are quite a few that have custom built speakers.  Most of these places serve coffee and light snacks.  Some serve lunch and might have a happy hour.  I got a lot of my information from this site:  http://tokyojazzsite.com/content/tokyo-jazz-cafes

This was one of my favorite places.  'Big Boy' in Jimbocho is the epitome of Japanese attention to detail and hospitality.  The owner was so nice and was eager to talk to me despite my survival Japanese language skills.  I will definitely be back here again.  (Notice the gorgeous Pass Audio monoblocks on the countertop.)

Another place I visited, Jazz Olympus, is named after the main speakers used at this cafe- the JBL Olympus.

Garrard decks are popular at these places, as are the Technics SP10/15s.  When I initially walked in, the counter in front was covered with various cartridges and headshells.  I asked if I could take a photo of this back wall and was politely waved off.  But as I was leaving, the gentleman asked if I would like to take a photo:  He said he didn't want anyone to see the scattered mess of audio parts on the table earlier!

Digital Room

This would be the digital room, dedicated primarily to PC audio.  I barely spent time in here.  #notenoughtime​

DIY & Vintage

This is the DIY group which also has a good dose of vintage thrown in.  Again, I've always walked past these guys hoping someday I would have the time to stop and listen to some of these headphones, if only for a short while.

Well this time I did and I can totally see the appeal of these.  Not just about nostalgia or rarity, the sound signature of these is often very different from today's headphones- typically in the upper-mid and high-frequency range.  The silibance that some complain about in many of today's headphones is not there in a lot of these.  To be fair, it does sometimes come at the cost of detail and other qualities.  Nonetheless, they are very enjoyable to listen to, and it's nice to see that these things can be enjoyed for a long time.

And speaking of vintage headphones, my friend that I met a year ago at this show who likes vintage headphones brought some of his latest acquisitions to our private Head-Fi room on the upper floor.  These Victor (JVC) HP-D35s are from 1980 but sounded like they were made yesterday.  That is to say, although I felt the sound was a tad on the bright side which might have been because the flat pads didn't provide an ideal seal with my ears, in terms of overall clarity, range and balance, these could compete with many good headphones made today.  We also noticed that the cable was freakishly supple and well-preserved for a 30-year-old can.

This headphone that looks like some sort of head brace is the Trio (Kenwood) KH-73 from 1977.  I really liked this headphone.  It not only sounded good for being ~35 years old- it just sounded good, period.

I think part of it was because of the adjustments.  Not only can you adjust the height of the drivers, but you can also adjust the amount of pressure that each cup applies to your ear, resulting in both a good seal and excellent comfort.  This is absolutely one of those cases of "Why don't they make them like this anymore?"

Hard Off
 ​
A few days after the Headphone Festival, I met up with my friend again to visit some second-hand shops.  There are quite a few of these scattered around Tokyo (and I presume throughout Japan as well), and this is where he finds most of his vintage treasures- often at ridiculous prices.

These AKG K140 are NOS.  He actually bought these from a guy at the Headphone Festival.  If I remember correctly they were purchased and used about three times and then put back into their box.  If they look brand new from the pictures, it's because they pretty much were.  I listened to them via a transformer box since they are 600 ohms.

Hard Off is a chain of second hand electronics stores that carries pretty much anything that runs on electricity.  With many of the items being fairly old, it was very nostalgic to see some of these things.  The thought, "they don't make them like this anymore," came up more than once.

There are components that are in working order, as well as a bone yard (above).  While these non-working hulks can cost $10-20 or more, I've seen just the knobs for some of these listed on ebay for as much.  The headphones and IEMs are generally in bins, and it's up to you to look through unsorted piles of stuff.  If something is in particularly good condition, it will go inside of a case.  I saw a set of mint Denon D2000s for ~$120 that I sort of regret not buying!

Ocharaku

On the way back from having lunch with my friend, I stopped by Ocharaku.  The last time I wrote about them, I doubt many people heard of this small IEM (and tea!) company.  But now, it seems like they are well-recognized in the upper-echelon of IEMs thanks to their Flat-4.  The latest version of the Flat-4 is called the 'Kuro'.  While that name was also used by another Japanese brand (Pioneer) for their highly-regarded HDTVs a while back, that was because the word could mean 'black' and referred to the deep blacks that are desired by home theater enthusiasts.  In the case of the Flat-4, the character used for 'Kuro' (玄) is not that of the color black (黒); but literally translates to 'mysterious'.  So don't think for a moment that this IEM sounds dark because it is definitely not.  My basic impressions of the 'Kuro' is that it has a slightly higher degree of clarity when compared to the 'Sui'.  The bass on the 'Sui' seems a bit looser and thicker, which I like for certain musical genres.  But for an all-around IEM I think I'd pick the 'Kuro' for it's slightly better defined midrange and treble.  (Above photo front to back:  Flat-4 'Sui', Flat-4 'Kuro', Donguri)

The main difference between the 'Kuro' and the 'Sui' (and 'Kaede') is the use of a liquid crystal polymer coating that is applied to the inside of the IEM's housing and phase correction tube.  Think of it as Dynamat for your IEM.  Also, the drivers on the 'Kuro' are actually the ones found in the 'Kaede'- different from those in the 'Sui'.  In the above photo and a bit blurred in the foreground are a couple of the Tornado Equalizers that are used in the upcoming single-driver Donguri.  The same technology can also be found in the modified Audio Technica ATH-CKM55 that sell for ~$100USD.

These are a few of the prototypes that were used to study the effects of IEM cabinet dampening.  The pair on the right shows some material that was applied to the outside of the Flat-4, as it was easier this way to try different materials during testing.  On the actual 'Kuro' the dampening material (M2052) is on the inside of the cabinet.  Theoretically, you can play around with this technique to tune your own IEMs.

Well, that's about it.  To be honest, at times when I am writing these posts I sort of feel like I should work for the Japanese Travel Bureau.  But what can I say- I'll leave you with this picture of Yodobashi @Akihabara.  Many of you already know this as the electronics department store in Japan where you can buy everything including shavers, watches, books, Gundam models, and yes- stereo gear.  That (photo below) is about eight, 6-foot sections of headphones- not including IEMs or their high-end stuff which is on the other side.  

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 47
P.S.:  It looks like the next Fall Headphone Festival will be back to TWO days (October 26-27).  So start making your travel plans!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, some here is a cut & paste from one of my earlier posts of the show:

BASIC INFO!!!

I was asked some basic information about these shows which I now realize I somewhat left out.  This being the third post I've done of this show, I guess I took it for granted that people knew what these were; plus I tried not to be too repetitive from the previous post.  So here's the deal:

These shows are held twice a year- once in May (usually the 1st or 2nd Saturday) and once in October (usually the last Saturday).  In terms of climate and weather, you couldn't ask for a better time.  For the last several shows, it has been at the Stadium Place in Aoyama (pretty much the middle of Tokyo) and the next one will be there too.  Most importantly, the event is free of charge for all to attend.  The show runs the whole day (just one day) from around 9:30-10am to around 6pm.  Some English is spoken by many if not most of the vendors.  But in any case it's not hard to get around.  They know what you're there for.  :wink:  

This show is generally for looking and listening- and meeting!  Items for sale are limited to accessories such as cables, LODs, and that sort of thing.  For this last show, FUJIYA AVIC, the show's organizer, had a selection of pre-owned gear for sale on a first come, first served basis.  They handed out a flyer with a list of items as you walked in; but be warned that the popular items sell fast so you'd need to arrive early to take advantage of these.  And the flyer is in Japanese.  I assume they will probably do the same thing at the next show.

Note that it says the show is "just one day".  And that was the case for this past show.  But it looks like the two-day show will be back (by popular demand?) this fall.  If you really want to stay on top of this, you can go to FUJIYA-AVIC's website as the show draws near.  They will post the latest promotional poster (check out all of the past ones here) on their homepage and you'll be able to read the date and time which is always in English.  And of course, keep an eye open here on Head-Fi because there will usually be a thread that starts a few weeks before the show- sort of an interest check to see who will be flying in, etc.

And finally, keep in mind that there are other shows held by FUJIYA-AVIC throughout the year- the Porta Fest (portable audio), and I've seen a DAC and amp show as well.  I don't live there so I am less sure about these.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 47
Awesome as always. Thanks Mike. 
beerchug.gif

I want to go to those jazz places. We have a crazy audio dojo a couple of hours from here I should photograph one day too. If you ever decide to come by Fukuoka I'll drive you down there.

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 47
Hello!

Lol...Stereo actually offers the best customer service. Been to a lot of audio shops but non served me as well. Not only in the audio world but also electronic products in general. The Stereo salesmen have high knowledge on audio, whatever you ask they answer and are happy to serve you unlike some I been to.

Oh and, the last picture you posted above, it's a must go if you ever fly to Tokyo xD a lot of headphones to try but it will also complicate your mind if you go there without research. Just way too many to choose from but the sales people there thankfully have clear ideas on where each and every particular of headphone model are located at... It's like a headphone-library in my opinion.

Nice work!
Billson xD

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 47
I've never been to headphone shows like these so reading this thread plus seeing pictures already made me both excited and overwhelmed, lol. And as I'm just living in Philippines, I figured I can go to the show one of these days (I should've). Ideally I would like to plan/prepare more and perhaps go next year so i would like to ask if the dates for the event/festival are always the same (i.e. May and October). Also, I'm having a hard time understanding the website of Fujiya avic and couldn't see the page where there's an info for this semi-annual headphone festival event. As I know very little about this festival, I thought I would ask some stupid questions now. :) Is the event always free of charge or do I need to pay on *some* parts of it? Also, I do not speak Japanese at all but I am guessing it's just fine since most people there speak English? And any tips you can give to someone who's going there for the first time? :p

Please bear with my newbishness and thanks in advanced! :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 47
That guy at the Stax table comes to the show dressed as a woman. It's a Japanese thing: When they do weird, they do REALLY WEIRD. It's all or nothing. When they do cosplay, they do it perfectly, down to the last detail. When the trains are on time, they mean on time to the exact 15-second interval.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 47
^ That is definitely what I thought from my impressions of the Japanese culture, even though I've never set foot in Japan. Look at how perfectly tidy and organized the table is.

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:
Lol...Stereo actually offers the best customer service. Been to a lot of audio shops but non served me as well. Not only in the audio world but also electronic products in general. The Stereo salesmen have high knowledge on audio, whatever you ask they answer and are happy to serve you unlike some I been to.

Stereo is an impressive place.  You guys are very, very lucky to have such a place.

Quote:
I've never been to headphone shows like these so reading this thread plus seeing pictures already made me both excited and overwhelmed, lol. And as I'm just living in Philippines, I figured I can go to the show one of these days (I should've). Ideally I would like to plan/prepare more and perhaps go next year so i would like to ask if the dates for the event/festival are always the same (i.e. May and October). Also, I'm having a hard time understanding the website of Fujiya avic and couldn't see the page where there's an info for this semi-annual headphone festival event. As I know very little about this festival, I thought I would ask some stupid questions now. :) Is the event always free of charge or do I need to pay on *some* parts of it? Also, I do not speak Japanese at all but I am guessing it's just fine since most people there speak English? And any tips you can give to someone who's going there for the first time? :p

Please bear with my newbishness and thanks in advanced! :)

I'm not sure if you saw my follow-up post- the one immediately following the big first one.  I think most of your questions are answered there.  But just to make sure:  The dates are the first or second weekend in May (always after Japan's week-long holiday called 'Golden Week'), and the last weekend of October.  I know their site is pretty full of information.  But if you scan it, you'll usually see a 'poster' with a date and time.  So if you look at their homepage now, it's the one of the anime girl wearing the HD800 headphones on the lower right side.

That was the promo poster for this last show.  The event is always free.  You don't need to know Japanese to navigate it.  On the day of the show, just follow the crowds.  Most of them will be wearing headphones or IEMs!  Most of the vendors know at least a tiny amount of English.  Some of them like Fostex or Westone have fluent speakers.  Anyway, the upcoming show is set for October 26-27.  So you have plenty of fair warning!  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
That guy at the Stax table comes to the show dressed as a woman. It's a Japanese thing: When they do weird, they do REALLY WEIRD. It's all or nothing. When they do cosplay, they do it perfectly, down to the last detail. When the trains are on time, they mean on time to the exact 15-second interval.

Yup- Japan is full of strange contradictions.  They're known for their conformity, but then you'll see stuff like that.  It's one of the safest places on earth, but they can often times be paranoid about safety.  It's one of the cleanest places you'll ever visit, but trash cans are sometimes impossible to find.  The list goes on.  There is also a lot of contrast between ultra-modern and super traditional.  I suppose if you really got to know and understand the culture, perhaps they're not contradictions at all.

It was sort of funny watching that guy put on the Stax headphones.  He was sort of chuckling over the fact that his 'hair' was getting in the way.  
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 47
Seeing this makes me want to go to Japan so bad. Audio stores a-plenty! Sadly, I'm in China right now, so there aren't any 'real' audio stores as far as I know. There aren't even any in the Philippines! Why?!

So...there are also some in Singapore, huh? Lol, my dad was making plans to apply for a job through a colleague there. Who knows, I might actually be able to visit an audio shop there! A guy can dream, can't he? 

Jul 22, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:
I'm not sure if you saw my follow-up post- the one immediately following the big first one.  I think most of your questions are answered there.  But just to make sure:  The dates are the first or second weekend in May (always after Japan's week-long holiday called 'Golden Week'), and the last weekend of October.  I know their site is pretty full of information.  But if you scan it, you'll usually see a 'poster' with a date and time.  So if you look at their homepage now, it's the one of the anime girl wearing the HD800 headphones on the lower right side.

That was the promo poster for this last show.  The event is always free.  You don't need to know Japanese to navigate it.  On the day of the show, just follow the crowds.  Most of them will be wearing headphones or IEMs!  Most of the vendors know at least a tiny amount of English.  Some of them like Fostex or Westone have fluent speakers.  Anyway, the upcoming show is set for October 26-27.  So you have plenty of fair warning!  
wink_face.gif

I absolutely enjoy your show coverage
thumbsup.gif
... routinely so. I'd prefer to attend in autumn - playing this October by ear. I noticed a lot of reservations are already in the books! But if I find the means ($$$), I'll find the way.

Of course, I'll have a few follow-up questions for you via PM. 
smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back